IGNORED

SOtM smS-200 unveiled at Munich Hi-End

Educated guess: SMS-200 will have an off the shelf board, much like the SMS-100;

microRendu: known to have bespoke board designed just for this unit and for audio.

Not the mobo, but we know the software/OS for the microRendu "just works"; we don't yet know that about the mystery software that will run the SMS-200. It might be great, it might not.

My take (FWIW): the microRendu will be a better unit.

I'm not relating to price. If the SMS-200 is a lot cheaper than the microRendu, for some people that will be the deciding factor.

Wow this new market is growing fast , the only regret for both machine is for the only usb out and not directly Spdif or i2S out

i don't know if it is a deliberate choice for the quality or if it only about cost .. it would be nice to get one box less in the system

PC audio /Roon + HQPLAYER / HOLO Spring 2 / / DIY AD1 SET tube amp  /  DIY Altec 2 way horn Speaker

I would assume this is strictly a minimalist design to get the best out of USB and keeping the cost down as well. The idea behind these devices is to replace an audio pc.

Like you, I would have preferred SPDIF (AES/EBU) and I2S along with the USB. Both my DACs sounds better on inputs other than the USB but with an isolator (like Intona) and a usb fixer (RUR), the SPDIF and USB input sounds more or less about the same. The microRendu is supposed to have both of them in place and I am hoping the SOTm would have the same functionality as well. The SoTm sClk upgrade really lifts the performance to a new level on their USB card and if they offer similar upgrade with the new sMS-200, it could really be a great product. Time will tell.

This is for the record:

sMS-100 - Sonore/Vortexbox licensed the Sonicorbiter operating system and provided inventory of the Pogo-Plug arm based processors. SOtM provided their case and power input module.

sMS-200 - Sonore/Vortexbox is not currently licensing the Sonicorbiter operating system and is not providing any hardware to SOtM. SOtM is claiming that this is their own software and hardware design. The microRendu team has not shared any hardware technology with SOtM for this product.

Assuming everything is as claimed we would sell the unit and offer limited support and service. The bulk of the support and service will have to come from SOtM.

Jesus R

Yea for competition, consumers win when there is a choice. I will be purchasing a sms-200 when it becomes available.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Hope this one is on the subject:) SOtM prep sMS-200: LMS/MPD server, Roon Ready player | DAR__KO

SOTM guys worked on the same concept: the toy is bit cheaper and looks more solid.

"looks more solid"? They are both one board devices. So both are equally "solid".

The SOtM is using the standard kind of case they use for all their small products. It's a pretty nice case, but nothing anyone would call "special" in any way (and I own an SMS-100, so I have a pretty good idea).

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

I've just taken delivery of my uRendu, and its cute, tiny, and very simple design - I like it but I guess it's going to be hidden away anyway.

But equally the sms-200 unit looks quite nice to me. At $450 it will be interesting to see where it falls compared to the uRendu, both in terms of SQ and functionality. I didn't see HQPlayer in the video (I don't use it but I know a lot of people do), but then you can attach a hard drive to it as well (although not in all modes by the sound of it). Would be interested to know what's inside it too. Actually, I'm still waiting for the naked shots of the uRendu! ;)

If it's comparable with the uRendu then its a great time for people with digital audio - so much choice....

Roon lifetime > Mac Mini > ethernet > microRendu (RAAT) w/ Paul Hynes SR3 > Intona > Curious USB link > Devialet 250 Pro > PMC fact 8.

I've put off the Aries for the uRendu. Now I'm waiting to hear more about this before pulling the trigger on the uRendu. Impressions anyone? It may put a stop to my indecision.

Speaker Rig: Roon > microRendu + HDPlex 100W > Yggdrasil > iTube > Sansui Au-555a > Dali Royal Menuet II 

Vinyl Rig: Sansui SR-2050C > Sansui Au-555a > Dali Royal Menuet II

Home Rig: Roon > microRendu > iPurifier 2 > Yggdrasil > iCAN SE > HD800S (LPS: HDPlex 100W)

Office Rig: Roon > mac mini > iDSD BL > HD800S / Viso HP50 / Marshall Major II

I've put off the Aries for the uRendu. Now I'm waiting to hear more about this before pulling the trigger on the uRendu. Impressions anyone? It may put a stop to my indecision.

Check the sponsored forum for Sonore. Full of comments and impressions.

Synology DS214+ with MinimServer --> Ethernet --> Sonore mRendu / SOtM SMS-200 --> Chord Hugo --> Chord interconnects --> Naim NAP 200--> Chord speaker cable --> Focal Aria 948

Check the sponsored forum for Sonore. Full of comments and impressions.

Launched in April and I'm already overwhelmed with threads to read. Sounds promising but keen to know what sms200 can do. In the least it looks like a gear I can put on my hifi rack. The uRendu looks like a cheap HDD, no disrespect to the SQ of course.

Speaker Rig: Roon > microRendu + HDPlex 100W > Yggdrasil > iTube > Sansui Au-555a > Dali Royal Menuet II 

Home Rig: Roon > microRendu > iPurifier 2 > Yggdrasil > iCAN SE > HD800S (LPS: HDPlex 100W)

....The uRendu looks like a cheap HDD, no disrespect to the SQ of course.

To be fair, its actually a nice little device. My guess is it's assumed to be hidden away behind the DAC - perhaps plugged in directly where possible - or more likely hidden among the cables like mine. It definitely feels like a quality item though, albeit there's not much to it size-wise. The case is minimalist and well made and it feels 'right'. But like you say, the more interesting thing will be the SQ comparison.

Roon lifetime > Mac Mini > ethernet > microRendu (RAAT) w/ Paul Hynes SR3 > Intona > Curious USB link > Devialet 250 Pro > PMC fact 8.

True and I have to give credit to products that do the job superbly well without the showy facade. It shows where the priority is.

I read darko's post again and saw Windows mentioned many times. If the SMS doesn't work with iMac where I will likely store my music files then I might be a little less keen, unless of course the SQ warrants investing in a NAS.

I talked to SOtM at the Highend 2016 and they recommended the sMS-200 instead of the sMS-1000(SQ) which cost more than 6x but has a drive for ripping and storage built in. It is a well designed little box. I am only waiting to read some comparison to µRendu.

sMS-200 preordered. Originally intended the acquisition of the sMS-1000 SQ, but the potential of the smaller upcoming sibling (and if word around the Micro Rendu is any indication) seems promising, to say the least. Can't wait.

Source: Synology NAS > DIY Mediaserver • Software: JRiver MC31/Fidelizer Pro Optical output: ASUS Xonar AE 24/192 • DAC/preamp: Blue Cheese Audio Roquefort Digital cross-over: Xilica XP-3060 • Speakers: Electro-Voice TS9040D LX (for active config.)  Subwoofers: 2 x MicroWrecker Tapped Horns • EV horns amp: MC² Audio T2000 • EV bass amp: MC² Audio T1500 • Subs amp: MC² Audio T2000 • EV horns cables: Mundorf silver/gold 1mm solid-core • IC: Mundorf silver/gold XLR/Mogami 2549 XLR/Cordial CMK Road 250 XLR • Subs and EV bass cable: Cordial CLS 425 • Power cables: 15AWG Solid-core wire w/IeGo pure copper plugs (DIY)

Has anyone heard the predecessor sms 100? How did that sound, say compared to an Aries? Might be an indication of what to expect with the improved 200.

Has anyone heard the predecessor sms 100? How did that sound, say compared to an Aries? Might be an indication of what to expect with the improved 200.

Sms 100 sounds very good with good PS. 200 has a bespoke board unlike 100.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

is the specifics of your SOtM support on your website? Personally, I wouldn't want to have ship an item out of country for repairs under (or out of) warranty. That in and of itself, all things being equal, makes me lean toward Sonore, a domestic solution over SOtM. Wish the warranty were more than a year though. Two or three years would make the Sonore product far more competitive especially since it's a "from the ground up-solution."

Hi,rrwwss52, my name is May and I'm working for SOtM, I think I will need to add some comment on your concerns. Since all our product line up have been distributed by our official distributor and dealers world widely, so you won't need to worry for the warrnty or any support in US as well, sMS-200 will be also distributed and sold by our official US distributor and dealers, which means you can get support in your local, this is how we work and how we've been working with other countries as well.

If you need any other questions or query, you can email me directly : [email protected]

Thank you very much.

http://www.sotm-audio.com

I have been waiting patiently for a unit that will replace the laptop I currently use. If I can plug in my external HDD music library via USB to this unit, control it from my iPad and output via USB to my DAC I will buy one. I not interested (at this stage) in networking, streaming, Tidal, Spotify, etc. I can't get my head around all the complexity that seems to come with doing the above using the Sonore products even though they appear to be excellent by all reports. I'm sure there are lots of other simpletons like me that just want to play files from a hard drive and this product could be the answer for people like me who are beginners at computer audio.

I have an sMS-100 that I powered with a Teddy Pardo PS. It did a fairly good job feeding my headphone system (Bifrost Multibit>Asgard 2>MrSpeakers Alpha Prime). Adding a Bel Canto mLink USB>S/PDIF coax isolator/reclocker improved quality a bit more. But I just replaced the sMS-100 with a microRendu, using the same PS but feeding the DAC directly without the mLink, and that's a good step up in clarity, separation, and recovery of detail. I haven't heard the Aries.

I have an sMS-100 that I powered with a Teddy Pardo PS. It did a fairly good job feeding my headphone system (Bifrost Multibit>Asgard 2>MrSpeakers Alpha Prime). Adding a Bel Canto mLink USB>S/PDIF coax isolator/reclocker improved quality a bit more. But I just replaced the sMS-100 with a microRendu, using the same PS but feeding the DAC directly without the mLink, and that's a good step up in clarity, separation, and recovery of detail. I haven't heard the Aries.

I'm considering the Aries cuz it has SPDIF output but a converter is a nice idea. Its app integrates Tidal. Does the mR allow tidal? I don't plan to use Roon, just want to use a lumin or Kazoo control point on ipad to play.

But not to steal thunder from this thread, I'm really hoping the sms200 will match or exceed the mR. The price for one is more affordable. :)

I have been waiting patiently for a unit that will replace the laptop I currently use. If I can plug in my external HDD music library via USB to this unit, control it from my iPad and output via USB to my DAC I will buy one. I not interested (at this stage) in networking, streaming, Tidal, Spotify, etc. I can't get my head around all the complexity that seems to come with doing the above using the Sonore products even though they appear to be excellent by all reports. I'm sure there are lots of other simpletons like me that just want to play files from a hard drive and this product could be the answer for people like me who are beginners at computer audio.

Thank you for your patinece and yes, you can plug in your external HDD storage device to the sMS-200 and it will perfectly work. no worry about it :) the unit will be the most cost effective mini player ever based on the absolute good sound quality.

I'm considering the Aries cuz it has SPDIF output but a converter is a nice idea. Its app integrates Tidal. Does the mR allow tidal? I don't plan to use Roon, just want to use a lumin or Kazoo control point on ipad to play.

Yes, it does. It's what I do. You connect through the MPD/DLNA setting with BubbleServer working. It works like a doddle.

Synology DS214+ with MinimServer --> Ethernet --> Sonore mRendu / SOtM SMS-200 --> Chord Hugo --> Chord interconnects --> Naim NAP 200--> Chord speaker cable --> Focal Aria 948

Thanks. Out of respect I'll keep questions unrelated to SOTM away from this thread. But gotta say I really am keen to start seeing impressions about this new device.

Thank you for your patinece and yes, you can plug in your external HDD storage device to the sMS-200 and it will perfectly work. no worry about it :) the unit will be the most cost effective mini player ever based on the absolute good sound quality.

Hi May,

Based on the the overwhelming positive remarks on the uRendu, should we expect the sound quality of the SOTM to be even better, all other things being equal?