IGNORED

SOtM smS-200 unveiled at Munich Hi-End

I am playing a wav file through my sMs-200 right now and it is working just fine. I am on the latest firmware but I have not had trouble playing wav files with previous versions. The music is stored in my QNAP TS-451+, the software is Music Station on my laptop or QMusic on my phone.

Main System: QNAP TS-451+ NAS > Silent Angel Bonn N8 > Sonore opticalModule Deluxe v2 > Corning SMF with Finisar FTLF1318P3BTL SFPs > Uptone EtherREGEN > exaSound PlayPoint and e32 Mk-II DAC > Meitner MTR-101 Plus monoblocks > Bamberg S5-MTM sealed standmount speakers. 

Crown XLi 1500 powering  AV123 Rocket UFW10 stereo subwoofers

Upgraded power on all switches, renderer and DAC. 

2 hours ago, d_elm said:

I am playing 192/24 wav files with V0.4.16 through MPD/DLNA with Openhome option selected in MPD configuration.  Files are on a NAS running Minimserver.  Controller is BubbleUPnP on an Android tablet.

That is my setup too, except I use the QNAP controllers (QMusic for Android, Music Station for Win10)

Main System: QNAP TS-451+ NAS > Silent Angel Bonn N8 > Sonore opticalModule Deluxe v2 > Corning SMF with Finisar FTLF1318P3BTL SFPs > Uptone EtherREGEN > exaSound PlayPoint and e32 Mk-II DAC > Meitner MTR-101 Plus monoblocks > Bamberg S5-MTM sealed standmount speakers. 

On 2018-03-08 at 11:05 AM, CharlesY said:

v4.16 now works after restarting a few times but I still can't play WAV files.

The only difference from your setup is my WDMyCloud NAS which is running Twonky server. Does this explain why sms-200 failed to play WAV files but I still can't understand why it works on the Chromecast Audio. Or are there something else that I have missed.

Try Minimserver. Twonky was wonky in my system. Twonky seems like old tech, not being updated

I asked for advice on what voltage I needed for my sMs-200 and this is the answer I received:

Hello Dan.

Best power supply voltage of sMs-200 is 9v.

But you can use 7v ~ 12v.

Best Regards.

Lee.

Not quite on topic, but related. I am using a regulated linear power supply for the sMs-200. Should the PS be plugged into the digital or analog side of my power conditioner?

• 1 month later...
On 2018-05-01 at 10:01 PM, Tuning said:

Deleted post.

On 2018-05-04 at 12:11 AM, Tuning said:

By the way, how about the other settings besides the 'replay gain' and the 'mixer type' ?

I've used ReplayGain with both DOP and Native DSD 2.0 on the sMs-200, to a Korg DAC. I am able to play DSD files up to 5.6 MHz with no problems. Replaygain has no effect on DSD in my system; it does not affect volume levels but does no harm. I really like this feature for FLAC replay.

• 3 weeks later...

I re-imaged the micro SD card in my SMS-200 to V0.4.0. I then updated the Eunhasu firmware to current V0.4.18. I set it to use a Static IP Address, but it is ignoring this command. The IP address is changing after rebooting, and it has never used the address I specified.

The reason I re-imaged the SD card is because the renderer would not latch to my Audiolab DAC, nor to the Korg DAC that I tried next. It is still not seeing the DAC. What should I do now?

6 hours ago, sotm.jho said:

Hi, we released the new version. 

Could you test after upgrade your eunhasu?

Yes, version V0.4.19 resolved the IP address issue. All good now.

• 6 months later...

My sms-200 is up and running well with FW4.5 on MPD, after a prolonged battle and three failed attempts. Since everything is working now, would there any advantage to upgrading the SD card to 16GB? 

I am playing via MPD to my sms-200 on firmware 4.5. No stuttering, but partway through a playlist it stops playing. I have to cycle the sms-200 before it will play again.

I am using the original 8GB card and will try imaging a new 16GB card. These firmware updates have often been a bit rough, but 4.5 seems to be the worst ever. 

I had 4.5 working, replaced 8GB card with 16GB and reflashed with 4.51, did not work. I then went back to 4.4 and gradually upgraded to 4.51, still no luck.

Every time I change from DHCP to Static and enter the IP address, it reverts back to DHCP. Any ideas on how to fix this?

When should one use Kernel Check? I'm trying it now just in case it can help with the above.

On 12/31/2018 at 5:43 PM, audiobomber said:

Every time I change from DHCP to Static and enter the IP address, it reverts back to DHCP. Any ideas on how to fix this?

When should one use Kernel Check? 

4.51 working on MPD now, but still have the above questions. 

• 3 weeks later...
14 hours ago, SYM said:

@may.park - Please do ensure that proper testing is done before releasing the next firmware. This is quite embarrassing for the company - as within a span of 1 month - 3 releases and each has got it own problem. 

I have used my sms-200 since 4.14. I've noticed that firmware updates after a lull period are always followed by another update or two to fix issues in the previous version. Version 4.5 has to be the worst yet for bugs.

I am using 4.51 successfully now, but I had to replace my older Audiolab 24/96 DAC. It was stopping every time resolution changed (i.e. going from 16/44 to 24/88, music would stop, sometimes would not restart). 

• 2 weeks later...

Everything was working well for me with 4.55. After updating to 4.56, I can't use my older 24/96 DAC. Both sms-200 and DAC show they are communicating, but won't play. 

Eunhasu "System Reboot" button doesn't work. I haven't been able to set a Static IP since the 4.5 update. How many hours until 4.57? Frustrating!

11 hours ago, audiobomber said:

Everything was working well for me with 4.55. After updating to 4.56, I can't use my older 24/96 DAC. Both sms-200 and DAC show they are communicating, but won't play. 

Eunhasu "System Reboot" button doesn't work. I haven't been able to set a Static IP since the 4.5 update. How many hours until 4.57? Frustrating!

I got my DAC sorted, just needed a factory reset. No change in the rest, but no biggie, at least I'm able to play my music.

• 2 months later...

4.57 was stable for me. I skipped 4.58. With 4.59, the sms-200 keeps losing the queue. I load my music, and a few songs in, the music stops and the songs disappear. I guess I should have quit while ahead (4.57).

• 4 weeks later...

I was having a periodic issue for a couple of weeks, with 4.59 losing the queued music (wi-fi from NAS, MPD). It has since self-corrected. I haven't changed anything. Was it a NAS interface problem? It only happened with the sms-200, not my laptops, Chromecast Audio or Raspberry Pi.

• 1 month later...

It seems I am one of the lucky ones. I switched to 100BASE-T this afternoon. I'm a bit shocked and very pleased at the sonic improvement, and no reliability concerns with my wi-fi based system (QNAP NAS, sMs-200 with FW 4.59).

Does anyone have an explanation as to why 100BASE-T should sound better than 1000BASE-T? 

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, bmoregnr said:

I have to sort out the DAC next then give this a try again.

Check that the pins in the DAC USB port are correctly aligned. I managed to bend two pins while plugging a cable in. I straightened them by bending back into place with a tiny screwdriver, all good now. A computer repair tech told me this is a common problem with USB ports.

• 1 month later...

Is info available to DIY the Neo upgrade?

Perfect, thanks octaviars! What is the capacitance? I'd like to order it beforehand so I don't have to disassemble twice. I'm a huge fan of Auricaps. 

6 minutes ago, octaviars said:

The original one was 2200uF and the new one is 3300uF/25V if I dont remember wrong (did not take a picture of the new cap and dont remember the make and model as it is more than a year ago I did it).

LOL! Look what I found on the net. Your post from 2018 in the Devialet forum:

Upgraded my Ultra to Neo yesterday and found it to be a good thing as the top end shifted a bit tonaly. Funny thing that a capacitor in the PSU part of the Ultra can do this (the capacitor changed from 2200uF to 3300uF)

https://devialetchat.com/Thread-A-Confused-streaming-system-Mutec-SOtM-Ultra?page=26

• 2 months later...
7 hours ago, SYM said:

The default values however are wayyyyyyyy lower:

• Buffer Time: 160 ( vs  10 – 1000)
  • Period Count: 16 (vs 4 – 256)
  • Internal buffer: 32768 (vs 1000 – 50000)

I can't help with your skipping issue, but I wanted to point out that the default vales all fall within the specified ranges:

160 is greater than 10 and less than 1000

16 is greater than 4 and less than 256

32768 is greater than 1000 and less than 50000