IGNORED

SOtM smS-200 unveiled at Munich Hi-End

i have finally managed to collect the SotM sMS-200 and a working sample of sonore microRendu to start my comparos.

I also have the SOtM battery PSU, UpTone Audio JS-2 and LPS-1 PSUs and iFi Power PSU on hand.

Looking forward to your comparisons, Elberoth. I will be particularly interested in your impressions of the SMS-200 vs. microRendu when using the same power supplies.

• 2 years later...

Hi everyone--

I have also encountered problems although I now have a working version of 4.5.1.

First I tried updating to 4.5 from the Eunhasu website and got stuck at 3% on multiple computers. Then I downloaded 4.5.1 and dd utility per SOtM's instructions. The download seemed to work fine and generated a .gz file. When I used dd utility to restore this file to a new 32GB SD card, dd Utility showed progress through 217, but then flashed the message:  "32 GB Volume Restore Failed." I also got a message that said "The disk you inserted was not readable by this computer." This despite the fact that I had erased and reformatted the new SD Card (Mac OS Extended (Journaled)). I tried multiple times on several computers to get dd Utility to restore 4.5.1 onto a new SD card, with no luck. 

Finally, I tried updating from 4.4 to 4.5 on a different computer (a Mac Mini that I use as a Roon Core server) using the update feature on the Euhasu website and, seemingly randomly, I was able to successfully update to 4.5 in less than 15 minutes. I was then able to update to 4.5.1 through the website, but it took several tries. 

I then did some listening to 4.5.1 using Roon and encountered the dreaded stutters. I reset the buffer in Eunhasu Roon settings to 0.2 and re-sync to 0.05, as someone else suggested on here, and that seems to have solved the problem, although I need to do some more listening. I will report back with sonic impressions next week after some extended listening. 

I have one more question, however. The only SD card that I have with a working version of 4.5.1 is the original 8GB card from SOtM. I know this card isn't going to last forever and I'd like to make a backup copy of 4.5.1 on my new Samsung 32GB card. I used Disk Utility on my Mac to create a disk image of the original SOtM SD card, and it created a .dmg file. When I tried to use Disk Utility to restore this .dmg file onto the new SD card, I got an error message. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to make a backup copy of the Eunhasu OS from the original SD card and get that on to a new SD card?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thank you all for your suggestions on how I might access the Eunhasu OS website. I finally was able to do so, but probably not how you might have guessed.

First, I tried the suggestion made by @tedwoods:

"If you're accessing it via DHCP and not via a bridged  or static IP configuration, it could mean it has been assigned a new IP address, so your link to Eunhasu does not work anymore.
Google ""sotm my" and it'll direct you to "my eunhasu" page (http://sotm-audio.com/my/), where you can find the new IP address and connect to Eunhasu again."

When I did this, an IP address appeared and I clicked on the link that said “Connect to Eunhasu.” That link inserted the IP address into the browser. This, however, resulted in a message that the server where this page is located is not responding. 

Next I clicked on System Preferences > Network on my audio server. This showed that the ethernet bridge I had created for my sMS-200 Ultra 200 was functioning. It also showed a different local IP address than the "my Eunhasu" page described above. So I inserted that address in my browser. The result, however, was the same:  the server at that IP address did not respond.

This was becoming frustrating because I had been unable to play digital music using Roon. Roon could not "see" my sMS-200 on the network. I had thought a reboot of the Eunhasu OS might solve the problem (it seems to have done that in the past). It turned out, however, that the problem was apparently related to the cabling of my SOtM-modified D-Link switch (the first leg of my SOtM Ultra trifecta). When I removed the switch from my system, Roon immediately saw the sMS-200 and I could play music. 

Roon also gave me a different IP address for the sMS-200 in the Device Setup window. I tried this one and, voila, I was finally able to access Eunhasu. 

A long and winding road for sure. Not sure why the first two methods described above didn't work.
4 hours ago, Solstice380 said:

So, you have a bad switch?

Too early to say. I haven't really attempted to get at the root of the problem yet. It may be fine and the problem may simply have been a loose connection that could be easily dealt with.

This is a switch that was clocked (from my sMS-200 Ultra) by a short, 12 inch cable from DigiKey that cost $20. I never really liked the connectors on these cables and it always felt a bit precarious. Also, the fact that I was running two stiff, unwieldy SOtM dBL-Cat7 ethernet cables in and out of the lightweight switch made for a more precarious situation. I'm curious if anyone else has had problems with their SOtM-modified switch?