IGNORED

SOtM smS-200 unveiled at Munich Hi-End

I have read all 1866 post on this topic.  Quite a learning.  I bought a used one early of the year with firm ware 4.56.  It sounds great to me.  Then I realized that if I go HDD attached on router, it sounds even better.  Now I am thinking to take a complete WiFI approach to put WiFi adapter on sMS 200.  Any suggestion which brand of adapter I should purchase. I am using DLNA/JRiver on a MacBook.  Thank you very much!

• 6 months later...
On 5/3/2020 at 9:47 AM, stefano_mbp said:

@Mahler and Bach on Computer if you are still facing too long reboot it could be better to burn a new microsd card. 

I upgraded the firmware from 4.56 from my old SDcard all the way to 4.9.  It reboot every time with a step forward.  I am trying HQPlayer.  Before correcting this rebooting problem.  I could not do upsampling PCM file to DSD.  After that, the upsampling works.  Thank you very much!

On 5/5/2020 at 7:30 AM, Abyss Man said:

Guys, if anyone is using a master clock for their sms I strongly recommend getting the soTm BNC. I’m using 1x 50 ohm soTm and 3x 75 ohm Tellurium Silver Diamond cables. 

Just received my 50 ohm cable and you have to hear it. Love it.

Hi, curious what master clock do you use.  Do you have to use the master clock from made by SotM or master clock from other vendors are possible options as well?

17 hours ago, Abyss Man said:

Hi Mahler,

I'm using a soTm master clock which is apparently is not as good as a Mutec master clock. Well everyone has their own pair of ears and for me I love my soTm. In fact my digital front is all soTm including the ethernet cables with ISO blocks. There are dozens of cables out there, each with their own pros and cons. As for me, I'm a happy bunny and that's all that matters. Happy listening.

Oh ya and to answer your question, yes u can use other options such as the Mutec, but be sure to match the cables acoordingly, either 50 or 75ohm.

Thank you @Abyss Man.  I will feel more confident on looking at different brands of clock.

• 1 month later...
7 hours ago, audiobomber said:

I have heard SOtM state that an sMS-200 with tX-USBUltra beats an sMS-200 Ultra. You may want to consider that instead.

The Neo upgrade doesn't make a big difference, but easily implemented on your sMS-200.

6 hours ago, Tommd64 said:

Youre right, the tx usb ultra is the better update and possibly a SPS 500 Powersupply. You can feed them both with the PSU at the same time.

Thank you both for valuable suggestion.  I have looked into TX-USB ultra.  I see the option of output of clock at the resistence of 75 ohm.  Since I mentioned I have MUTEC USB 3+ which can take an external clock at 75 ohm rating, I wonder if I can use TX-USB ultra as an external clock.  The connection will likely to be server-Ethernet cable-SMS200-USB cable -TX USB ultra - USB cable - MUTEC USB 3+ - AES/EBU cable - DAC, with a parallel connection using BNC to connect TX USB extra with MUTEC 3+‘ as an external clock input.  The key question is if TX USB 10mHz clock output will be accepted by MUTEC USB 3+?

Thank you in advance.

56 minutes ago, roberto2 said:

TX-USB Ultra optional clock connector IS NOT an output but an input!

The same for your MUTEC USB 3+.

So you would need a 10Mhz external Master Clock for both SOtM TX-USB Ultra and Mutec.

Thank you for the clarification.  I read more background information about TX-USB Ultra and finally understood it.  Since there are several vendors selling 10MHz clock, including MUTEC as well SotM, I am wondering if the resistances are matched, any vender’s Master Clock at 10MHz should work, correct?

Thank you in advance.  :)

1 hour ago, Solstice380 said:

The TxUSB Ultra can have a clock output.  One of mine has it.  You can specify clock in / out and 50 or 75 ohms.  I run the clock output to a modified switch clock input.  I think you have to spend $$$ to get a good clock to improve on the Ultra’s clock.  I also have outputs for USB clock from the Tx. 

Hi, I am a bit confused here, the other person mentioned the clock of TX-USB Ultra is for input only.  How to differentiate here.  Nice to see you here again and listen on your insight on clock.  @Solstice380

5 hours ago, tedwoods said:

Both the tX-USBultra and the sMS-200ultra can accept either clock inputs (via BNC) or have extra clock outputs (via SMB connectors).

@tedwoodsThank you for your detailed explanation.  Given what you described here, I assume I can use sMS 200 Ultra as a Master Clock, and can use SMB connection or SMB to BNC connection to synchronize TX-USB ultra, and DAC with clock input along the digital signal stream.    Or use TX-USB ultra as a master clock to synchronize DAC at digital signal down stream and sMS 200 Ultra at digital signal upstream.

Of course, ideally, I can use the more advanced M10 Clock to synchronize, sMS 200, TX-USB extra and a DAC with clock input.

Thank you for the advice!

1 hour ago, Solstice380 said:

I think having the clocks internal and close to the action is a solid engineering approach.  I’m completely satisfied with just the Ultra clocks and do hear an improvement using the clocked switch.

@Solstice380The current set-up is sMS 200 (std) connected to MUTEC USB 3+ to a R2R DAC.  I realized that without MUTEC USB 3+, even given the significant SQ improvement of recent firmware upgrades from SotM, as well as HQPlayer, by taking out the MUTEC USB 3+ from the chain, the SQ degraded significantly.  Just wonder what I can do to further improve the SQ.

• 1 year later...
On 12/21/2021 at 1:45 AM, 120525 said:

Hello All, updated to firmware v.5.2, darker background and smoother sound compared to v.5.1 with LMS, but when playing 24/176 & 24/192 files, LMS stops playing around 10 seconds before a song ends and jump to the next song, does not seems to have problem with DSD 64 and songs lower than 24/96 bit rate, had anyone experienced this ?  Perhaps the buffer number needs to be adjust, will email MAY for advice. Thanks.

Wonder if you can share how you update to v5.2, through update from the Eunhasu interphase or burn a complete new memory.  

Thank you.

9 hours ago, WAM said:

Hi,

My current head-fi-set up is a MacBook Pro running Audirvana Studio, fed by a Mutec MC3. The Mac sees my NAS in Finder. In a picture:

image.png.1cb68f064c1c1d2d3ede0fe04eb30a48.png

I am considering a separate streamer/renderer (too many drop outs, the Mac is an oldie). But it has to work with Audirvana Studio. So SOtM sMS-200 Ultra could be an option. But I have no clue how I should make this work. Is it as simple as connecting the sMS-200 with the Mutec, and connecting the sMS-200 with an UTP-cable to my network?

I have established a connection between SMS 200 with Mac Mini using Ethernet and a switch/router.  USB output from SMS 200 to Mutec USB3+, AES/EBU to a DAC.  I have used sMS as DLNA with JRiver or NAA with HQPLAYER.  

• 3 months later...
6 hours ago, creativepart said:

I bought a new 32gb card and applied the image using the DD-Image application that SoTM provides links to for Mac. I have the same issue as @Mahler and Bach on Computer (wow, long username). The SMS200 Ultra just sits and doesn't load the OS. I tried it a couple of times - nothing.

Normally, when it's booting you see the network activity lights. Also, my router can't find Eunhasu on the network. Period. Not at any IP.

I removed the 5.2 MicroSD and put the 5.1 back in and voila... everything loaded normally

Anybody with Mac experience have a suggestion? I wonder... if I booted my Mac into Windows 11 and use the windows app if I could have better luck?

I used the exactly the same process with the brand-new card of the named-brand.  Not working as you reported.

6 hours ago, Oepsie said:

Same success here. Dd image on macbook. Burn onto 16 gb sandisk class 10. Have done it several times with success.

Have also tried making a backup image from older installation to burn onto a friends sd card. Also worked like a charm ☺️

I have used DD in the past but using Sandisk Class 10 A1 instead of Class 10.  Don’t know if A1 caused any extra issue.  Will order some Class 10 to try.