IGNORED

SOtM smS-200 unveiled at Munich Hi-End

6 hours ago, kelvinwsy said:

Hey Abyss man I just (past 1 hour) downloaded from http://docs.sotm-audio.com/doku.php?id=en:eunhasu:burn_sdcard_image 4.57 image written onto a new 16gb microsd and loaded in onto the Ultra Neo. Run thru the installation (HQPlayer NAA for me) and ran Eunhasu Homescreen .. It stutters a slight bit if u use Safari on your iphone.. If not glorious DSD512x48k on my SMSL VM D1 using latest XMOS USB Board.. SQ with 100Mbps connection is rich and full bodied.. No stuttering👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏 

PS: Spoke too soon ..  Ocassional stuttering at upsampling extreme like 96khz to 24mhz DSD512 ASDM7+Dsd512 polysinc xtr-2

More adjustmts needed🤨🤔

Hi Kelvin,

I just updated as well, works wonderfully. As you say, the 100Mbps is awesome man. A nice upgrade indeed. Thanks to soTm again.

• 1 year later...
5 hours ago, Tommd64 said:

The SPS 500 is an excellent PSU. And an normal LPS isn,t always the better one. Some sounds very bolt and brainless..Though the Farad3 LPS is an improvement on the SmS200ultra. You have to order the right voltage 9 or 12v .

Hi Tom,

I so totally agree with you regarding the sps-500 being an excellent PSU. I too agree that when I plugged the sps-1000 into the sms-200 after I had tried it with tx-usb ultra, there was a slight difference to the presentation. The thing I didn't like with the sps-1000 though, I lost dynamism and attack speed/transient speed. (I'm not good with audiophile mambo jambo, LOL), with the sps-500 back in, things were much faster. I must admit one thing though, with sps-500, the quality and the charater of the PC really helps with the tone of the sound, meaning for a cooler sound, get a cooler PC. It reacts as do most soTm gear I have noticed. 

The sps-500 though can sound a bit digital sounding if the power cord is of a lesser quality, but otherwise, I love it too and am so glad I have company too.

8 hours ago, ClothEars said:

I have had the opportunity to try the SPS-500 power supply with my SMS-200 Ultra Neo.  Unfortunately it did not sound as good as the Studer-900 LPS I am using or a number of other LPS's I have tried with my unit.  The SPS-500 always sounded a bit lean compared to the LPS's.

Hi Clothears,

May I know what PC u are using with the Studer-900? In all honesty, I don’t really hear the leaness but I find LPS not being fast enough for my taste. Maybe it’s just me I Guess. Thank you for the input though, I might as well get a Studer to try. Any recommendations?

21 minutes ago, Oepsie said:

Regarding PSU, I've tried out several LPS options (although none of the options mentioned in this thread 😆). Most of them gave a somewhat relaxed presentation with lots of details but with loss of dynamics opposed to my current favorite: A no-name LPS with a fan (that can be stoped with a paper clips 🙃). This gives the right level of attack and rhythm to the music and makes the sms-200 less soft.

Realizing that this was not my final solution, I've finally settled on a Paul Hynes SR4 LPS (after reading much about it). I'm very curious whether it will give the balance between attack and musicality to fit my system. So fingers crossed - its a bit delayed due to the corona pandemic.

My feelings exactly bro, loss of Attack and dynamics is what I hear using a LPS. Please keep us posted on the PH please. I’m told the Farad3 is also good. Plixir Elite is another, but as said I love the Attack,speed and dynamics of the sps. It’s quiet too, well at least to my ears.

28 minutes ago, ClothEars said:

I don't use a PC at all.  I run the SMS-200 Ultra Neo as a stand alone using MPD with a USB attached 3Tb hard drive in a caddy to hold my library.  I control it using an app called "Soundirok".  I'm a firm believer in keeping it simple.

Here is a picture of my dual 12V DIY LPS based on the Studer 900 board (pimped with Mundorf caps).

890051710_StuderCapsRCore_02.thumb.JPG.aec59bacf40b06f34b45e7a9d20e9e15.JPG

On my system, there is no way I would choose the SPS-500 over my DIY LPS.

Hi Clothears,

My apologies for not being clear, by PC I meant Power Cord. I'm personally using Tellurium Silver cables. Nice work with the LPS bro. Thank you for all the inputs, its much appreciated.

5 hours ago, Tommd64 said:

Dear Tedwoods, you couldn't have put it into a cup.  The SotM SpS500 is an excellent power supply and does many LPS power supplies such as Teddy Pardo, Keces HDplex and SBooster in dust bites on SotM equipment.  The Farad3 was the first to make a real difference.  More dynamic in the image, Tighter low and especially the top high is phenomenal.  Incidentally, it is important to use a good fuse and at least level2 connection cable.  Last but not least, it is important to place the power supply as close to the unit as possible to keep the cable as short as possible ...Though as said before it isn,t like night and day. If you have the Sps500 stick to it.

Thank you Tom for clearing the air. On another note, I'm currently using Neotech 18awg solid silver DC cables, I am thinking of getting the Mundorf Silver/Gold 15awg to give it a shot.

13 hours ago, tedwoods said:

The LPS sound you're describing is probably due to high output impedance.

The lower the output impedance the better the sound, especially in the areas of speed and dynamics.

The Farad3, which I have, is very good, but only slightly better overall than the sps-500.

Most other LPS's I've tried did not give a clear improvement over the sps-500 and some had drawbacks too, like the ones you've described.

I'd love to try the new PHD, but I'm a bit apprehensive, due to delays and such.

I've had my fair share of delivery horror stories to stomach yet another...

The Plixir Elite is also a viable candidate, but I've yet to try it...

Hi Ted,

Thank you so much for this. It was very re-assuring. My only wish is that I had posted this question here earlier so that I would not have lost so many sleepless nights. LOL. Really appreciate your comparsion with the Farad 3 as I have always wondered, just how much better can it get, cause as I have said, I think the sps-500 is already operating at a very high level, well at least for me. Once again Thank you.

9 hours ago, Mahler and Bach on Computer said:

Hi, curious what master clock do you use.  Do you have to use the master clock from made by SotM or master clock from other vendors are possible options as well?

Hi Mahler,

I'm using a soTm master clock which is apparently is not as good as a Mutec master clock. Well everyone has their own pair of ears and for me I love my soTm. In fact my digital front is all soTm including the ethernet cables with ISO blocks. There are dozens of cables out there, each with their own pros and cons. As for me, I'm a happy bunny and that's all that matters. Happy listening.

Oh ya and to answer your question, yes u can use other options such as the Mutec, but be sure to match the cables acoordingly, either 50 or 75ohm.