IGNORED

SOtM smS-200 unveiled at Munich Hi-End

Hi May from SOtM,

New user of SMS200 here. Am mostly using it in MPD/ DLNA mode. I have the replay gain and Mixer type set to NONE. However when I play music through my Linn control point - its show volume at 50%. I was previously using another linux based mpd system - with similar settings my control point shows volume as 100%. Am I doing anything wrong here. Thanks

• 3 months later...
10 minutes ago, mikeyb said:

4.5 is fine using MPD and Roon, however the stuttering issue is with Squeezelite.

No one yet has come up with a solution.

Changing the default settings within Squeezelite option on the SoTm setup page to custom and setting the output figure DOES NOT fix it.

Halo @mikeyb,

changed my buffer setting to 80. Works like a charm. 

2 hours ago, SYM said:

Halo @mikeyb,

changed my buffer setting to 80. Works like a charm.

Am backing away from what I've said. 

0.4.5 is stuttering again - but sure what caused it but eunhasu is laggy as hell (surprised no one mentions this)

back to 0.4.22 until sotm sort out the problem - c'mon

Does anyone find the eunhasu interface lags badly after the update? I switch between a few modes and I find the lag unacceptable. If you are purely on one mode eg mpd- then perhaps its not apparent. Once I switch back to .22 - the lag is gone. I tried a couple of times to set up .45 from scratch - same result

1 hour ago, Solstice380 said:

I found 4.5 to be laggy, also.  On top of that, I can’t get HQP NAA to even connect.  Way back to 4.0 for me to get simple functionality and no pops.  I will try one more time downloading and burning the card, just in case there was any issue with that end of the process.

I tried upgrading online - also tried burning 2 different sd cards. Outcome is the same. The only thing I can think of is the different voltage of our player. I am using the 9v ultra - not sure it it makes a difference in lag if I have the 12v model

@Tannoymike, I did both online and offline update - same problem with lag and shutdown. Tried a few different sd cards and in my last attempt - the shutdown works properly. Eunhasu still lacks like hell - but not as bad as before the previous 3 installations. Switching between modes takes longer as compared to .4.22  - bearable but still a pain in the butt. So far from what I’ve read - sounds like a hit or miss scenario. Hope it get fixed asap. Meantime - you can try installing on different sd card and see how it works for you. 

37 minutes ago, aslg said:

The constant activity even when not playing + the laggy response with the UI tells me there are one or more processes that intermittently steaCPU from the "audio player" process and make it stutter.

@aslg - I do have the same sentiment 

I have not observe this behaviour on .4.22  

When idle - process/activities should be minimal. Hope @may.park and sotm can provide answers to this and fix both audio stutter and interface lag issue on .4.5

3 hours ago, ClothEars said:

I deduced it was something to do with the unit polling the attached USB 3Tb HDD and decided to deselect "Sync Mode Mount" .

@ClothEars - I've all along unchecked "sync mode mount" and other 2 options in that setting page. still get that constant blinking. I stream my music via NAS through DLNA - no USB HDD attached to player

I reformatted a working class 10 SD card to FAT32 - burned 0.4.51 on it - same problem with blinking lights and squeezelite stuttering.

Seems like there is no consistent behavior between upgrading online or via the image. 

Prior to that - I've done a fresh install of 0.4.5 and subsequently updated it online to 0.4.51 and the blinking stopped when there was no activities.

this is weird, I got so fed-up (after multiple re-burning of different SD cards) that I went against logic - re-downloaded 0.4.15 and burned it into my SD card. This time round  - there is no constant blinking/flashing when no music is being played. 

If burning of SD card is so dedicated (and can break so easily) - I am even more uncertain about online update especially if it takes hours and hours.  

What worries me is the constant blinking even when there are no activities on .4.5 and .4.51. This may be an indication of bad codes that caused the player to keep going all the time when it is turned on. Not sure if it will harm the player in a bad way in the long run. After numerous tries - I finally get the version .4.51 without the constant blinking lights for days. The constant blinking started again.  

Someone here also measured the load on both .4.22 ans .4.5. The finding is actually quite disturbing - apparently the load on .4.5 was 10 times more than .4.22. No wonder we have to change buffers to stop the stuttering. Doesnt seems right at all

2 hours ago, octaviars said:

The first time I re-imaged with the downloadable 4.51 the constant blinkning went away and have stayed that way since.

Are you using dd utility or imageUSB? 

It just seems like a hit or miss situation with the newer firmwares. 

1 hour ago, octaviars said:

Only problem I have seen is the constant blinking light on the front with 4.5 and the 4.51 that I got from upgrading in Eunhasu but that stopped with the newest download I burnt. 

thanks, well - I've got exactly the opposite respond. I've an almost unworkable 4.5 and upgraded it online to 4.51. Constant blinking stopped after that. Was thinking that it might be better if I burn 4.51 directly into the SD card when it came out. Turns out to be a mistake for my case. 

6 hours ago, Confused said:

One slightly curious observation. I checked for updates in Eunhasu yesterday, V0.4.5.1 was still the latest. I clicked on the kernel update, it updated and rebooted. Now I have just noticed that the "blinking light syndrome" has stopped. I have no idea if this is due to the kernel update or just a coincidence.

What I observed is that the blinking lights is a random behaviour. Out of 10 time I’ve booted the player about 3-4 times the blinking lights disappear. And if its there when its boot up - I find using the reboot function in eunhasu takes care of it quite well. 

11 hours ago, Confused said:

Ah, interesting.  So this suggests that I solved the the blinking issue just because I happened to reboot at the weekend.  As it happens, i was reconfirming some stuff in my hifi rack on Sunday morning.  During this time I had the sMS-200Ulta unplugged for maybe half an hour, then was disconnected / reconnected about ten minutes after that, as I sorted some things out.  so it had a few reboots that morning.  I will keep an eye on this to see if there is some kind of a pattern.  It always puzzles me when electronic kit exhibits seemingly random behavior.

I happened to power down the ultra by accident awhile ago (the sps500’s button is super sensitive). Powering it up again and the blinking light is back. I reboot the player via eunhasu - still the same blinking light. 

I power cycle the ultra manually again and the blinking light disappear. This is weird. It is  completely random. Those with blinking light problem can try to either reboot or power cycle the player. Works for me. Just sharing this useless findings 😛

Guess the blinking lights problem persists on 0.4.52

Librespot is super unstable on this release - keeps disconnecting

@may.park - Please do ensure that proper testing is done before releasing the next firmware. This is quite embarrassing for the company - as within a span of 1 month - 3 releases and each has got it own problem. 

1 hour ago, Traildog said:

It's a free upgrade and you are not forced into it and can easily roll back to older versions if it's not working for you in your particular use case. I think there needs to be some perspective on this. You bought something which works, you can continue to use it as you bought it. This is a free improvement, getting upset about it seems over the top to me.

Absolutely agree - just hope that they can label experimental release with the "beta" tag. Then we'll decide if we wanna get adventurous. 

For your information - 4.52 has been pulled out completely now. They're back on 4.51. This only goes to show 1 thing and 1 thing only - 4.52 is a mistake and its also acknowledged by SoTM. No point defending their position here

• 3 weeks later...
11 hours ago, octaviars said:

Yep mine does that to, have not tried to get rid of that as it comes back.

SQ is good in this release - very happy with that. Squeezelite is still problematic though. If the constant blinking means the player is always in an overdrive mode - then I am abit concern that overtime this may cause damage. This concern may be unwarranted - will someone with technical know how provide his/her views on this matter? Thanks