IGNORED

SOtM smS-200 unveiled at Munich Hi-End

Can someone help a novice like me understand what is preloaded on the sms-200 to have it act as both a server and a renderer.  So in my case I will have an external SSD housing music hooked into my router (I have no interest in a NAS).  I would then like to hook the sms-200 to the router via Ethernet and then through an iphone control (no computer involved) play the files on that SSD; this would be hooked into an Ayre Codex.  I am a novice at this so I am looking for what server options come already available on the sms-200 (I am not interested in paying a fee for Roon, which I think needs a NAS/computer anyway).  I am looking for gapless and up to 24/192 and maybe future-proof myself for DSD; I am not sure if all of these do that standard these days. 

If I am getting my research so far correct it seems a few example combinations would be:

Squeezelight with iPeng 9

MPD with Soundirok  or Mpod

Where I am tripped up is something like DLNA Mode with Lumin or Linn Kazoo; is that a purely renderer situation and does not fit what I described above?

So if anyone could give me a few combinations of server type on the sms-200 and control point that would work best for a novice using the sms-200 as both server and renderer it would be appreciated.

Thanks @ClothEars that is very helpful.  Yes I likely won’t do Tidal/radio etc. ever so I’ll try starting with MPD/Soundirok.  On the HDD connection front, I guess I was under the impression it was better hooked to the router so the sms-200 didn’t have to do as much work.  As long as I can access the SSD for loading etc., and as I planned to use a usb powered SSD I might be ok as I’ll probably do the sps-500 with it, so I think I will have enough juice;  so I will check both ways and see what is best.

• 3 weeks later...

I have one of these on the way, and I had a few operational questions I couldn’t find the answer to in the manual.  For those using a usb drive attached to the sms-200, how do you eject the drive?  Do you power down the sms-200 first and then remove and reinsert the drive?  On the power on/off front, I can see where you power down the sms-200 in the Eunhasu software, but how do you power it back on?  Is that an option in Eunhasu or is it done another way?

My sms-200 arrived Friday, and despite being a complete networking novice with a notion going into this purchase that for the first time I might be buying a piece of audio equipment where there is a 45% chance I couldn't get it to work given my lack of skills; instead everything turned out great and it is a very clean and easy setup process.  I just plugged everything in as it will be used except for the power, then when it was powered up the mac found it, it found the Ayre Codex and the external WD Passport ssd hooked into it; the Soundirok app found everything, boom I was up and running in maybe 5 minutes.  I don't think I really made any changes, and the only tip I could add is Safari/mac needed the IP address in the browser where http://eunhasu.local did not take.  

I am using the Ifi iPower 9v and that WD SSD is not self powered but it all seems to work well and is very nice sounding.  In the small room where this is it is great not having the computer on.  It is a desktop office system and so given the budget I have in mind I don't see any upgrades necessary for me, although I am quite sure the payoffs are out there especially on bigger rigs.  So chalk me up as someone very happy with the sms-200 right out of the gate; and a hearty thanks and shoutout to May as well as Crux for all their help and quick service.

• 2 months later...
8 hours ago, Jianan said:

Squeezelite (Logitech media server) Settings:
a. Plugin: DSDplayer installed.
b. File Type Setting: DFF, DST Native.
c. Volume Control: Output level is fixed at 100%. Crossfade: None.
d. DSD Player tab: This player supports native playback of dsd files. DSD-over-PCM should be configured on the player configuration interface.
e. I chose sms 200 to output native dsd in sotm interface.

Doesn't your e. need to be set to DOP?

• 3 months later...
16 hours ago, d_elm said:

I had a similar response in updating to 0.4.14.  UI showed 30% complete for 1/2 hour then I rebooted and found the update was done.  Kernel update works better.

That is exactly what my 0.4.14 did, got hung up on the 30%.  I rebooted it expecting a fail but it did update.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
On 8/19/2018 at 2:58 PM, aslg said:

I filled a 256gb usb flash drive with FLAC and DSF music and connected it to my sotm-200ultra. All works very well using the Squeezelite player. Only problem I have is that I would like to access the USB drive using Samba (I have the "Share folder (samba)" box checked in the library config) but the USB1 mount point is not accessible from my Macbook finder.

Do you know how to make it accessible?

Thanks!

Screen Shot 2018-08-19 at 1.42.01 PM.png

I seem to remember you could not access a HD while attached to the sotm-200; the operating system wasn’t really designed for it.  I assume that is still the case with the ultra.

8 hours ago, mnuno10 said:

Will the iFi iPower work well with Sotm sms-200? If yes, has to be the 12V version, right?

Thank you

In speaking with Crux audio they said a 9 or 12v was fine, and the preference, at least for the person responding, was for 9v producing less heat.  I am pretty positive I went with the 9v, using a small SSD attached to it, and it is working fine for me.  People seem to hate them but without really digging into power sources I have been happy with it in an office setup.

• 4 months later...
20 hours ago, xwollsock said:

Thanks for the info, very nice!  That's certainly another reason for seriously considering ROON, even if it means installing another computer in the living room cabinet...  

Before I get too excited: Can this be done on-the-fly, while playing music?

I'd be inclined to do it to a copy of the files themselves in an editor such as Audacity rather than need or want a player to do it.

• 5 months later...

Does the following issue ring a bell for anyone?  I had to replace a modem, and after that everything seemed to be in order router etc. in that I can update my MPD database and play something and it seems to affect the SMS-200 lights wise correctly and plays in the MPD player, but all of a sudden now I am not getting any audio.  My Ayre Codex is working in Optical connected to a mac mini, and although I have not tried any alternate USB source yet, I seem to get some changes/faint clicks when rebooting the SMS-200, just not any audio when playing.

If rebooted both the SMS-200 a few times as well as rebooted the Codex but no luck so far.  Any thoughts?

6 hours ago, octaviars said:

What firmware version are you on?

I have been meaning to post again, so thanks for asking and I'll use this opportunity to say that this is looking like my DAC USB section bit it.  It was a lightning strike that took out the modem needing the change and after some testing of alternative USB sources I can't get USB to work on the DAC.

I'm afraid to admit it but I was on 4.22 as all those upgrades looked painful to me and I am not the most talented with this stuff.  In the process of working through this issue I burned 4.6 and it appears to work (and was pretty easy knock wood) including recognizing new things added to the SSD attached to it.  Again it sure looks like I can play things MPD as well from what the player seems to be doing.

At this point I have to sort out the DAC next then give this a try again.

• 7 months later...
On 3/31/2020 at 1:46 AM, ClothEars said:

Can you please confirm whether you are using MPD with an attached USB drive?

I hope that gets sorted soon for you.  I had a quick question, when you do an update do you remove the USB drive first?  I think I've done it both ways but was wondering what was best.

5 hours ago, ClothEars said:

The "Kernel Check" is not always required but should be done after the update.  

As I know very little about all this stuff I am curious if you have any info why after is better, just to learn mind you.  As I did it before this update I suppose I should do it again for any effect correct, or am I good as is at the moment?  Thanks

• 4 weeks later...

I've updated no issues; it did hang up at 29% but I've learned to wait it out then bam ready to reboot.  I have not really listened to it other than to make sure no issues MPD but now maybe 3-4 weeks with 4.81 and it does seem like a difference where to me it is that the mid-range has opened up, become clearer or more articulate; maybe the bass is a little more out of the way somehow; deeper maybe but not encroaching on the midrange as much maybe.  That is the effect I am hearing but it is making it more balanced all around top to bottom where no aspect outweighs the other a little more now and relatively I think that is helping the midrange most; but again I like it very much as I am a midrange out kind of guy.

• 1 month later...

I ended up with a networking connection issue somehow and have re-established things but now I can’t seem to close down MPD/DNLA app as it just seems hung up.  I assume people shut this down each end of listening session.  I can refresh the Enhusa (how I spell it) page and then close MPD and it seems to stick on that second attempt.  Has anyone run into this and found a fix or am I missing something?

Yeah I was wondering if I should do that @audiobomber  I think like most of us I keep the sms-200 powered on and idle, so I guess if you left the Enhusa page it would go idle as a whole then when opening that Enhusa page MPD/DNLA would be ready.  I will say it takes a solid couple of minutes to start up MPD/DNLA for me each time so there is also the benefit of avoiding that.  Thanks for the input everyone I might try a combination of everything.  It is just weird in that it has never happened for me before.  I was also considering removing then reinstalling MPD/DLNA as an option to maybe clear it it up as it seems a fluky thing that maybe goes away on its own somehow anyway, it only popped up this weekend.

• 2 months later...

ok i've screwed myself.  I tried to replace a 1T drive with a 2T drive, making everything exactly the same.  I use MPD and Soundirok, and so now I have two of every song in soundirok and clearing cache or updating MPD database not working. Any thoughts/help?  It's probably something simple but I always struggle with this stuff.  thanks  Shit now I have three of every song!

you always da man @ClothEars  I think I'm getting somewhere in that I was not removing my ssd before which was directly attached for what that's worth.  So I think slightly different language now but shut down, removed SSD, started up, then in Settings I then unchecked "automatic usb disk mount", hit "sync disks" then "sync and save disks" now I when I look at I see nothing in USB

Screen Shot 2020-08-21 at 9.19.07 PM.png

Do you think at this point I just shut down, mount ssd and turn back on?

Ok sorry I didn't write it up last night, but I did have success.  It was not quite as smooth in that MPD wouldn't start up and I seemed to lose connection to the network folders with some odd messages, so I recycled through and this time with SSD disconnected unchecked both "Automatic USB disk mount" and "Share folder (samba)" in Library Config then Sync & Save; that gave me the cleared USB folder; then restart with SSD attached, and check both those two "Automatic USB disk mount" and "Share folder (samba)"and Sync & Save then I got just the one folder like below; MPD started up this time and Soundirok kind of did its thing refreshing/updating and now just one song shows as expected.  

Thanks again for the help @ClothEars  Funny thing is I found that stereo.net post pretty early on but removing the SSD didn't click with me at the time, i was trying to delete the folders on the desktop but didn't have access and so the delete was failing; so your method sure seems like the ticket knock wood.

Screen Shot 2020-08-21 at 9.41.04 PM.png

• 2 months later...

My upgrade to v5.0 went well last night and things working smoothly.  It looks like it added an on/off toggle for logging errors presumably if off it would operate faster.  It defaulted off and I left it there and didn't notice any major change say in MPD on/off, switching menus etc.

I checked some stuff I had listened to within the last week and it felt a small bit less congested sounding throughout.  At the same time as this upgrade, I tried to address a new issue with starting MPD not going active without a reboot, I re-imaged a new card that is faster than what was used; so maybe that has something to do with it as I really don't know the potential impact of that on playback.  Frankly it was probably just a mood thing what with psychoacoustics and all.

Last thing, my Kernel check didn't do a clean reboot and I had to hard reboot it.  It still is showing  4.18.19-215.fc27.armv7hl as the current Kernel version, so I'd appreciate it if anyone finds out that is wrong and I can try again.

Thanks for the Kernel help everyone, I refreshed and soft reboot worked and get 4.18.19-216.fc27.armv7hl on the System Upgrade page (i might have copied something wrong when I posted 215 earlier and it might have been 216 last night as well).  Not sure why I don't get that added (SMP) armv7 language but maybe I am looking in the wrong place as I only know to look at the System Upgrade page.  That or its a hardware version thing, as I have an old sms-200 and I think we have or talk about different model versions in this thread.