IGNORED

SOtM smS-200 unveiled at Munich Hi-End

I am new to network audio, still building my kit, but the advantage of a multi-node setup is only the renderer determines the sound, assuming the server puts the corect bits on the network. It seems the simpler the renderer is the better the sound. I also use Lumin on iOS for control, after trying many.

• 1 year later...
43 minutes ago, roncagg said:

I have my SMS-200 running wireless (Edimax adapter), accessing a PC running minimserver, using the Lumin app as controller, everything works great! My question is would there be any advantage to installing minimserver on the SMS itself instead (the latest OS update includes that) - presumably that would require putting an external USB HDD with FLAC files on the SOTM, otherwise I don't see the point of running that software locally. Just curious... One final thing - has anyone had an issue with their regen needing to be power cycled in order for the DAC to be seen by the SOTM? I often have to do that after powering up the SOTM (I power down the SOTM every evening because I use a battery PS), but not *every* time, which is puzzling. Thanks,

Ron

The idea behind using a low power do a minimum renderer was to generate as little noise as possible for a hardware budget. If you run minimserver on the renderer the computer generated noise will increase but the ethernet noise will decrease. Wireless generates more noise than wired or fibre but perhaps that is your only option.  Only way to know for sure is to try it.

35 minutes ago, luchoh said:

@MayfromSOtM thank you for your reply. I would love to get your settings and experiment with them.

I am using a dedicated Lenovo TS140 server with 16GB RAM and Intel Xeon Processor E3-1246v3B (3.5GHz) running Ubuntu 16.04. I am not using CUDA offload as it (strangely) becomes worse. At the moment, I am using DSD512 at AMSDM7 512+fs and poly-sinc-extr-2s with Odroid C2.

From my analytical perspective, the issue is that I don't think it is the hardware that causes the pops. I tested on 3 separate machines with the same results:

Odroid C2 as NAA always performs without pops until the server starts chocking, which in the above case is any DSD512 without -2s.

sMS-200 as NAA starts popping at DSD256 and at DSD512 is unbearable with the exact same parameters as above (the units were swapped during each test one after the other and then back to avoid fluctuations). At DSD256, the server barely notices the load.

If you still think this is a server issue... I'd gladly test your setup. I was planning on going headless with the new HQPlayer 4.0.0b1, so if this is your setup, I'd gladly test it as well. 

@MayfromSOtM can you check the CPU usage on the sMS-200 when doing upsampling to DSD256 and DSD512 using HQPlayer ?

• 2 months later...
On 2017-12-22 at 10:51 AM, CharlesY said:

I have owned a sms-200 for a month now and am very happy with its SQ and performance. One thing that always caught my attention is that everyone seems to think the Roon --> SMS-200 --> DAC route has superior SQ than other sms-200 supported route e.g. DLNA in my case. Can someone please explain to me why this is the case?

I have direct wired cat6 from my router (gigabits) to the sms-200 where my music files served from a WD Mycloud NAS (runing Twonky media server) which is also cat6 wired dorectly to the same router. Btw, I have a LKS MH-DA003 DAC which i am very happy with. I use BubbleUpnp/Lumin as controller on my Android devices.

I would also like to understand what is the purpose of the BubbleUpnp server running inside the sms-200.

I run BubbleUPnP server on a NAS, where I run minumserver, to provide an OpenHome proxy for the DLNA renderer software running on the renderer hardware, microRendu.  OpenHome provides some extensions to DLNA such as the ability to turn off the control app once a playlist has been started.

• 3 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, ClothEars said:

Further to my last post:  I gave it another 1/2 hour to start the MPD server but to no avail.

I therefore decided that a shut down and restart was the safest option.

I am pleased to report that after that, the MPD server is up and running.

I would be interested to see if anyone else has this problem with the update or whether it is only my unit.  :)

I had a similar response in updating to 0.4.14.  UI showed 30% complete for 1/2 hour then I rebooted and found the update was done.  Kernel update works better.

44 minutes ago, Joerg D said:

Hello, DLNA is running again. I have installed the update from 4.15 a second time. Then DLNA starts again, and runs very stable.

Joerg

How does one do an update a second time ?  I uninstalled MPD and installed again with no success.  SOtM is not looking good with an update that fails and going on holiday.

23 minutes ago, Joerg D said:

Hallo

I selected update. The update button is not active, but next to the button click on "4.15", then the update starts. The update was successful. Then reloaded and started DLNA. It took a while and then ran DLNA.

Joerg

I am using an sMS-200ultra and there is no text next to the update button.

On 2018-02-16 at 9:14 AM, Joerg D said:

Hallo

I selected update. The update button is not active, but next to the button click on "4.15", then the update starts. The update was successful. Then reloaded and started DLNA. It took a while and then ran DLNA.

Joerg

I looked again, the paragraph above the upgrade button contains the version number.  Clicking on that enables a reupgrade of the currently installed version.  I had to reupgrade/reboot three times before MPD/DLNA would start.  Happy now, do not need to use Squeezelite.

3 minutes ago, MayfromSOtM said:

Sorry for the confusion updating to the latest f/w. I had reported it to our engineer team and they will check and work on it.

Thank you.

Best regards, May

It is fiixed for me via a teamViewer session.  There should be an upgrade soon to fix the problem.

40 minutes ago, Boomboy said:

ive got the dreaded mpd spin of death .. what do you mean by '  TeamViewer ID and PASSWD. ' ?

i cant get mpd to start .. i new i should have listened to myself and not done it !

anyone got any suggestions ? back to my raspberry pi streamer 

Did you upgrade to v0.1.16 today ?  It is supposed to work.

Download teamViewer to your desktop and install. URL is

https://www.teamviewer.com/en/download/windows/     or Linux, or whatever you have running on your computer.  Not sure

what Jeeho-Oh does if you do not have a computer on the network.

When you run teamViewer there will be an ID nnn nnn nnn and password xxxx shown on the left.  Send this to Jeeho-Oh.

1 minute ago, Boomboy said:

thanks heaps .. il get onto this .

yeah .. upgraded to new version today .. installed it twice .. even uninstalled mpd and reinstalled it again .. rebooted several times .

i cant do anything else .

V0.1.15 was strange in that re-upgrading many times eventually resulted in a MPD that would start.  V0.1.16 is not so fortunate as there are missing buffer input and output values in mpd.conf and MPD will never start.

8 hours ago, Nouchka said:

Hi!

Since the last update of the sms-200, the DHCP always activate by itself, which make the unit not reachable because I use a direct connection to my NAS.

So, each time I have to connect to EUNHASU page, deactivate the DCHP and restart the unit ... then it is reachable again and I can listen to my music.

Do you also have this issue?

Does using a static IP with eunhasu help ?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
31 minutes ago, aslg said:

Is there anyone that has DSD mode=Native on the sMS-200's Squeezebox player working with a Mytek Brooklyn DAC+?

I installed the latest firmware (v0.4.17) that supposedly enables native DSD on my DAC, set DSD mode to Native in the Squeezelite player config but it generates the following error in the LMS server:

Slim::Player::Song::open (409) Error: Couldn't create command line for dsf playback for [file:////synologynas/music/samples/Looking-For-A-Home-2.8MHz-DSF.dsf]

SOtM asked me to install an alpha firmware that solved the problem above but generates the following error in the Squeezelite player:

[02:16:31.538774] alsa_open:544 unable to set hw params: Invalid argument

SOtM would like to remote control into my home network but I am reluctant to give them access to my laptop and from there to all my home network. Was anyone here able to solve problems like the above without remote control?

Thanks!

SOtM has had a teamviewer session on my PC to solve a problem.  You can watch as they investigate the sMS-200 and they only access their system.  Low risk in my view.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I have configured eunhasu with static IP for 14 months and have had a few versions of the OS that have reverted to dynamic when upgrading.  I am using 0.4.56 now and the last few upgrades have stayed on static.

I also suggest using a network scanner to show device IP addresses to locate devices that use DHCP to set their IP address.