IGNORED

SOtM smS-200 unveiled at Munich Hi-End

I have been waiting patiently for a unit that will replace the laptop I currently use. If I can plug in my external HDD music library via USB to this unit, control it from my iPad and output via USB to my DAC I will buy one. I not interested (at this stage) in networking, streaming, Tidal, Spotify, etc. I can't get my head around all the complexity that seems to come with doing the above using the Sonore products even though they appear to be excellent by all reports. I'm sure there are lots of other simpletons like me that just want to play files from a hard drive and this product could be the answer for people like me who are beginners at computer audio.

Well I guess a bit of patience is required.

After all it's a new product unable to keep up with apparent demand. Good luck to them.

It seems to be what I'm after so, pending further information, I guess I'll go and listen to a few tracks on my current system while I wait!

There aren't many active discussions about their products on CA so maybe they pop in only once in a while. That said, the longer they take the more likely someone will stop holding out and go for something already available.

+1

Even my patience is not infinite!

• 5 months later...

Well I bought the SMS-200 and have it connected to my router via ethernet. I have attached my (self powered) hard drive and DAC (Auralic Vega) and control it using MPaD on my mini iPad. It sounds absolutely wonderful. A substantial upgrade from using my laptop. I have no other PC's or Laptops running at all. I am also powering it with a 12v DC battery (Optima Yelow Top 75AHr) without any issues.

The only problem is that MPaD is not as user friendly as JRemote. Only about half of the cover art displays despite the correct settings in the MPaD settings menu. It would be nice if MPaD was improved but it looks like the developer has run out of steam.

I will have to try another controller to see if it does a better job with cover art and playlists. That's the other annoyance. The playlist function is clunky and does not allow (as far as I can work out) you to add to a selected saved playlist. Never mind it will do for now.

In summary, if you are using a laptop or pc this little baby will leave them for dead.

It really is that good.

Yeah I suspect there is trade off somehow. Functionality over quality perhaps?

I have tried a couple of good quality linear power supplies with the SMS-200 and found the battery to be better. The only limitation was that it needs to have some serious capacity. I have tried smaller batteries in the 1.2 up to 14 AHr and found them wanting but not the 75AHr AGM battery. Also the CCA (Cold cranking amps) on this battery is 975A which may explain the difference.

I have also changed the iPad app I am using. I installed Soundirok yesterday and it is much easier to use than MPaD as well as having smartlists and playlists that are easy to add to. Sound wise I cannot detect any difference between the two but Soundirok does have a better user interface and the developer still seems to be active in improving it.

That's got to be a good thing.

Would you please specify which linear power supplies you have tried with the SMS-200?

And, please provide the exact model AGM battery you prefer.

I'm not challenging anything, rather I just wish to understand as I'm looking at power alternatives. Thank you.

I have tried the Teradak, SBooster and Giesler 12v linear power supplies (borrowed from friends) and found the big battery sounds better. That is, deathly quiet background with better detail and clarity creating the perception of better dynamics.

The one I bought here in Australia (not sure if the exact same model is available in U.S, Euro etc) is the Optima yellow top 75AHr 12v AGM (Advanced Glass Matt). On mine it says the CCA (Cold Cranking Amps) is 975A. I believe it is this measure that may have something to do with the success of this battery.

When I tried other wet 12v car batteries with CCA figures of around 580 to 630 the sound was certainly clean but lacked dynamics and presented a constricted sound stage. I had been playing around with batteries from 1.4AHr to 20AHr previously but the linear power supplies were better than any other battery I tried until I used the Optima.

Fully charged at 13.2v the SOtM SMS-200 consumes about 0.1v to 0.2v a day (10hrs) so I get a lot of play time before a recharge is required (around 11.8v).

I hope that helps. :)Optima-YTS5.5.jpg

As controller for MPD you can also use the official Lumïn controller. This controller runs flawless on an Ipad. I do not know if this controller is compatible with other devices than an Ipad.

Enjoy!

Regards

Wiebren

Sbooster

I tried Lumin but it could not detect the attached hard drive and I could find no way to add it. I am now using Soundirok and it works very well. It reads my previous playlists as well as having smart lists so MPaD has been retired.

Hello. I admire your diligence. You have a lot more resources than I would. Where did you get the connector cable? Did you just make it yourself? I would think small signal cables like this would sound best with silver or silver plated copper. What are your thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile

I am using a light gauge (10amp) power cable which I have found sounds a bit better than light/small cables. I haven't tried any silver or silver plated cables but I might give it a try in the near future.

Errrr... The only bit I get is that I connect the sms200 to the DAC, which I had understood already.

I don't know what a renderer is and I have no idea how to set the Mac up as a server... I know I am a disaster!

Any light you will have the patience to shed on this will be highly appreciated!

Fear not doraymon - I was clueless until my dealer gave me some setup hints.

1) Plug your DAC into the audio USB out on the SMS-200.

Which you already know!

2) Plug a cat 6 ethernet cable into the SMS-200 and get the other end to your router.

This allows it to broadcast it's web page interface that you load on your iPad or PC using a web browser.

It also allows various MPD apps to control the SMS-200 to play music files.

3) Plug an external hard drive (with your music files and sitting in a self powered drive caddy) into one input USB socket.

This is your music library that will be available through the SMS-200 via MPD.

4) Set the SMS-200 up with the MPD & DLNA active.

This makes the music files stored on the external hard drive available to MPD apps that control the SMS-200.

5) Install the app "Soundirok" from the app store (or some other MPD player).

I have tried MPaD (another MPD app) but prefer the user interface of Soundirok.

6) Open the app and it will "find" the SMS-200 and then load the library of music files.

The app now uses the SMS-200 to "render" the music files to the DAC.

There are various settings at each stage of this setup but they are pretty simple to work through.

So that's it. Just the SMS-200 and an iPad with Soundirok.

No servers, no mini macs, no other "computers" required.

The above setup is simple and sounds superb. :)

Thanks a lot ClothEars! Now it's very clear!

So now the problem is my router sits 5m away from my HiFi rack and there is no way I can run a cable between the two...

Damn it!!

I use a powerline ethernet adapter as I have the same issue.

See here: https://www.pccasegear.com/products/36677/netgear-pl1000-powerline-1000-mbps-set

You buy them as a pair and plug one into a powerpoint near the SMS-200 which connects to it via an ethernet cable.

The other one goes into a powerpoint close to your router and again connects to it via an ethernet cable.

The units are very easy to install and work flawlessly.

Problem solved!

Wow that makes sense, I actually already have something similar to extend the wireless network to my bedroom.

Now the final 1M$ question:

Would you go the sms-200 way or use my Mac Mini with an Intona USB Isolator to feed my Chord Hugo DAC??

1M$ answer - why bother using a mini mac and Intona USB. Sell them and be happy!!!

• 4 weeks later...
I’ve been having a listen over the holidays and can’t keep going back to the rich SOtM house sound. In my set up the Regen to my ears sounds more spacious but takes away from the tone/smoothness of the SMS200

I found the same thing. The Regen seems to add some air and sheen to the sound but after a while I kept getting the sensation that it didn't sound as natural and was a little fatiguing. So I think I'll stick with the SOtM straight to the DAC.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 3/14/2017 at 9:28 AM, ducatirider said:

Just experimenting. I have an original Xiaomi Mi 10400 mAh power bank. I can't get it to power the SMS-200. Anyone have pointers?

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile

I gather your power supply is only 5 volt.

The SMS-200 needs a minimum of 6.5 volts and maximum of 14 volts.

I run mine from a 12 volt car battery and it works a treat! 

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Bricki said:

Hi @MayfromSOtM I have just tried to upgrade from version 3.6 to 3.7 on my sms-200...The upgrade said it was complete and I selected the reboot button. After a very long time there was still no response and the sms-200 would not reboot...So I have just started to reflash the SD card again back to version 3.5.

I am wondering if perhaps I have a faulty SD card or something? Any ideas?

Thanks

Bricki

I have had this happen with a couple of updates but it was always solved by using the reset button on the unit.

I have also noticed that for some reason the TCP/IP address would change after the update.

The last time it occurred I was watching the network connections and noted that during the reboot procedure the TCP/IP address did change but after using the reset button the address returned to the original one.

• 2 weeks later...
16 minutes ago, romaz said:

The limitation here isn't with the sMS-200, it is with the new sCLK-EX board.  The clock board was designed either for 6.5-9V or 12V.  No upcharge for 12V but you do have to specify which you want at the time of purchase.  As an owner of 3 SOtM Ultra products, I can assure you this is a minor quibble not worth worrying about.  This is an extremely worthwhile upgrade.

I run my SMS-200 on a 12V battery with great success however the actual voltage ranges from 13V down to 12V before I recharge.  This is within the capability of my unit but is the 12V optional spec for the Ultra a brick wall type thing or will it cope with up to 14V like the SMS-200?

On 5/13/2017 at 4:32 AM, romaz said:

I have not tried a 14V source and so I can't help you.  Unlike the standard sMS-200 where SOtM claims a wide voltage input, with the 12V option with their new clock, they are not making this claim and so my guess is you will want to feed it a regulated 12V (+/-10% which is typical).

It would be nice to get a definitive answer from SOtM as to whether the Ultra will cope with a battery at 13V as well as the lowest voltage it will operate at if the 12V option is selected at purchase. This is a critical question and will determine whether I can afford to upgrade or not.

Perhaps @MayfromSOtM could answer this so I can decide what to do.

11 hours ago, MayfromSOtM said:

Hi, ClothEars, 

Yes, you can use 13V power to the Ultra once you select the 12Voption at purchase. it would accept upto 13V.

Thank you!

Best regards, May

Excellent news May.  That means I and many others will not have to change our power supplies. :)

3 hours ago, TopQuark said:

I second this.  It will be great if someone can tell if option 1 is good enough:

1. sMS-200 ► Intona ► DAC ($450+$250=$700)

2. sMS-200 ► tX-USBultra ► DAC ($450+$990=$1,440)

3. sMS-200 ► sCLK-EX ► DAC ($450+$750+$200=$1,400)

4. sMS-200Ultra ► DAC ($1,200)

5. sMS-200Ultra ► tX-USBultra ► DAC (No! Redundant)

Option 1 has galvanic isolation.  The rest do not.

Wouldn't powering the sMS-200 (or Ultra) and tX-USBultra with a battery give you galvanic isolation?

• 3 weeks later...

Today I tried to amend my playlists on the SMS-200 the usual way by accessing the M3U files via Windows Notebook over the network.  To my surprise I could not find "Eunhasu" on my network.  I checked the TCP/IP address was the same (which it was), and it shows up on my router software as being present, but not in Windows Explorer.  I have always been able to access the SD Card on the SMS-200 this way but not now.

@MayfromSOtM

Were there any changes in V3.8 that may have caused this?  Has anyone else had this problem?

Nothing has changed on my system except the update to Eunhasu version 3.8 so what gives???

• 4 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Jean Plum said:

I have downloaded v3.9 and see the static IP option in system config.. Is there any chance one of you chaps could provide an Idiots Guide as to how to proceed for the less gifted here ?

To select the TCP/IP address shown as a Static address just tap/select the DHCP icon.  Perhaps you could advise why you want it to be static?

• 1 month later...

@bmoregnr

You seem to have it under control.

The last Eunhasu update added MinimServer and BubbleUpNp Server but like Roon & HQPlayer they need another PC to do their thing (and I have no idea what LibreSpot does).  I have never managed to get Lumin or Linn Kazoo to work properly so don't bother with them any more.  

Squeezelite with iPeng works well and gives a bit of extra flexibility in that you can listen to Spotify, Tidal and internet radio stations. 

Here is a video that shows you how to set up LMS with Squeezelite activated.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzteqI_QHi0

Here is a video that shows how to setup Spotify & Tidal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hn4d-frLnf4

I personally don't use Squeezelite as I find MPD with Soundirok sounds better to my ears and I don't use Spotify or Tidal.  I listen to albums that play gapless as well as resolutions of up to 24/192 and DSD.  (If I want to listen to internet radio it's easy just by activating Squeezelite but I don't do this very often).  MPad/MPod are no longer available on the app store and will not be updated either.  Soundirok works well and the developer is updating it with greater functionality (with a new update pending) and provides support via email.

One thing though - my friends and I connect our HDD music library using a HDD dock connected directly to the SMS-200 via USB.  We have found that different docks sound different (as do USB cables).  I'm not sure how you intend to connect to your SSD to your router but it's worth considering this for the best sound quality.

@bmoregnr

Just to clarify - I don't recommend using a USB drive that draws power from the SMS-200, as I and many other users have found this does not deliver the best sound.  I use a HDD dock with it's own 12V 5A linear power supply like this one, connected via USB.

http://cplonline.com.au/astone-doc-250e-2bay-usb3-e-sata-2-5-3-5-sata-hdd-docking.html

You could also plug this into your router which means the data (music files) will have to travel over the network (ethernet cable or WiFi) to the SMS-200.  That configuration may make it easier for the HDD to be available on your network and therefore to other media players and not just the SMS-200.

I have tried this configuration but I prefer the sound of the direct USB connection.

With the dock you can try both and see which one you prefer. :)

• 3 weeks later...
12 hours ago, bmoregnr said:

I have one of these on the way, and I had a few operational questions I couldn’t find the answer to in the manual.  For those using a usb drive attached to the sms-200, how do you eject the drive?  Do you power down the sms-200 first and then remove and reinsert the drive?  On the power on/off front, I can see where you power down the sms-200 in the Eunhasu software, but how do you power it back on?  Is that an option in Eunhasu or is it done another way?

You need to power down the SMS-200 to detach the drive using Eunhasu. To restart it use the reset button at the back (or on the front in the case of the Ultra) or switch the power supply on again.

• 5 months later...
3 hours ago, Dr Tone said:

New firmware available 0.4.14

Still no RoonReady 1.1.23 yet. :(

Does anyone know what the 2 DAC's are that were added to the DSD list are?

Also in the MPD/DLNA setup there is a control for "Mixer Type".  The options are Software/Hardware/Null/None.

Mine has defaulted to "Software" but as usual there is no information with the firmware upgrade on what these settings affect.

Also what about  "Add the kernel check feature for native DSD upgrade".  What does that mean?

Anyone got any clues?

@MayfromSOtM