IGNORED

SOtM smS-200 unveiled at Munich Hi-End

In the SOtm site there's mention of an SMS-200 review and in there I've seen some nice photos of the internal construction. Seems pretty solid to me and most certainly a well executed and totally proprietary affair. People more knowledgeable than me, can chime in on that.

• 2 months later...
Hi :)

About the new PSU, sPS-500 is the name of this new power supply, the design is the same concept as sMS-200, please check some pictures taken by RMAF show, it is now prototype status, but we are planning to release it before the end of this year, the price would be similar with sMS-200 too.

And the sPS-500 would be capable to set up the voltage at 7V, 9V, 12V and 19V, so it could be used in various way. and also the Ultra low noise regulator circuit, Output short Protection circuit ,Over temperature protection circuit and other SOtM's special technics would be applied.

I think I've just found out what I'll ask Santa for this Christmas...

• 4 weeks later...

Some interesting points have emerged out of this discussion. Of course, we mustn't forget that the SMS200 offers its superb sound, versatility and top end performance for very modest expenditure. I think that building around a main device by means of add-ons like a better power supply or such is both clever and desirable. Personally, I use it with Supra cat8 cables without any other isolation, a typical modem/router powered by an i-fi power supply, and with an s-booster (on loan, while waiting for sotm's own power supply) and used as NAA for Hqplayer, the sound is spectacular. I have also tried the i-fi ipurifier2 after it and noticed no difference in sound, so I guess sotm must be doing something right. Only other add-on is a v- bus2, since my DAC doesn't require the 5V bus.

Sent from my eSTAR BEAUTY HD Quad core using Computer Audiophile mobile app

• 2 weeks later...
Interesting, the Regen is one of the options I had considered. SOtM will come out soon with their own USB "regenerator", let's see how that one behaves.

I just ordered (from the Netherlands by the way...) an Sbooster BOTW 12V with Ultra filter to power my sMS-200, I hope to see some improvements!

I'm currently using the Sbooster too and it's really rather special...?

The Snooster really looks interesting soundwise. Unfortunately besides an audiophile I'm also a crow, with a passion for silver shiny gear. Therefore I'm waiting for the Sotm sps500 with the same looks of the sms200.

I've put the regen back, can't live without it, despite the small disadvantages

Makes two of us... I'm anxiously waiting for the sotm power supply too.

Actually, the sbooster is "on loan" from my guitar pedalboard, where it used to power my Kingsley tube overdrive (where it also makes a world of difference), which apparently seems to be missing it already and eagerly awaits for its return...?

However, the benefits it brings when used to power the SMS 200 are substantial: the bass is better controlled, the mids are more relaxed but most importantly cymbals sound very natural indeed.

Not bad at all..

• 1 month later...
hi folks but which are the right voltage ?! 6v 9v 12v or 14v ?!and the best PSU ?i use this spectacular gear with my dac TOTALDAC plus the Reclock and the improvement is very marked!

I'm using the 12V sbooster BOTW eco ultra right now (set for 13.2V with the extra 1.2V are consumed by the active electronics of the ultra add-on) and the results are very pleasing in all areas: better bass, smoother treble, depth and separation.

I only compared against the stock smps and the 12V i-fi i-power I had bought before trying the sbooster and the sbooster was clearly better.

The i-fi now powers my router, where it does a tremendous job blocking noise, as that can also make a difference, believe it or not...

Sbooster have also mentioned that 12V is the preferable voltage, attributing that to sotm's internal regulator design, if I understood correctly.

I also plan on buying sotm's own power supply when that comes out, which has variable voltages so maybe we can compare the different voltages and see if that makes a difference as well.

Soon I hope...

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, tboooe said:

Wow, if this is true I will have a hard time justifying getting it over the standard SMS-200. While i am sure the clocks make a difference I do not think my hearing nor my system will be able to appreciate the full extent of the improvements.  

I was quoted a couple of hundred more than 1K (same price for either of the ultra products), which effectively puts them both out of my budget range...:(

The good news is that the sms-200 sounds really good already, so no major worries there...

Also, the sps-500, sotm's new power supply, is around $500, and depending on its design features and sound, which is an unknown for now, it night just fit the bill, although the sbooster that I use now sounds too good for me to justify the expense...:S 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
18 minutes ago, alvin1118 said:

strange, i updated the firmware to latest v0.3.7, now it won't play DSD DoP via Amanero USB interface. Is this a known issue ?

No, I had no problem whatsoever (HQPlayer/Lampi) . What player do you use?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
59 minutes ago, zoltan said:

I'm new to the SMS-200 (ultra actually) and have a question.

I use HQ Player NAA and there is a newer version out than installed on the SMS-200. No firmware update for the SMS yet though. Is it possible to update the HQ Player NAA only? and how?

Thanks

Normally, sotm implement it by means of an update.

• 10 months later...
7 hours ago, Tannoymike said:

The above earlier post indicates a firmware of V0.4.18 which I can't see on the SOTM web site, is this an error or is it available?

It is available for some time now.

I've installed it and it works fine.

When you open the Eunhasu page there will be a yellow arrow under system setup indicating an update is available.

Click on it and just follow the instructions.

• 7 months later...
5 hours ago, lasker98 said:

Yes, no matter what settings I use, I still get stuttering/skipping with Squeezelite and 4.5. I believe something's changed with the buffer settings and it's causing these issues. By lowering the "Internal buffer" setting, I can get glitch free playback for a longer time before it starts stuttering again. The lowest I've tried is 2048 and that gave almost 5 minutes before stuttering again. In my case, the stuttering will start off with less stuttering, then rapidly (less than a minute) become almost constant.

I mentioned in an earlier post that on 4.22 I leave "Internal buffer" blank which I guess causes some default value to be used. On 4.4 and 4.5 if left blank, it automatically gets some value entered (4096 on mine) when Squeezelite is restarted.

There's a thread on ROON  https://community.roonlabs.com/t/new-firmware-sotm-eunhasu-0-4-5/55757/27 where it looks like they're getting Roon working by adjusting buffer settings.

Hopefully SOtM will address this at some point.

Yep, changing the buffer to 0.2 in Roon did it or me too...

6 hours ago, BDF-ul said:

My NAA doesn’t even start... I get the spinning circle of death... Maybe more luck next year...

I've tried upgrading via Eunhasu (4.5 to 4.51) on two different sd cards, one which I've burned and one which I've gone through the Eunhasu upgrade process (4.22 to 4.4 to 4.5). I've tried both and both work fine with NAA...

13 minutes ago, kelvinwsy said:

First Happy NY to everyone

Next HELP

I followed the 0.4.5.1 instructions. 

Downloaded the file

Downloaded imageusb

Ran the software with a 16gb micro sd in my PC's card reader,

Followed Step 1.1, 1.2. 1.3, 1.4 -- then got stuck

Checked the micro sd chip - It has the 2 small partitions and then a 6.9gb main partition But ALL Empty.

Tried with a 32 gb micro sd chip - same? 

Tried it in the SOTM Ultra - and the Eunhasu web browser just spins around and round.

Where did I go wrong?

I cannot seem to find the Browse command and Step 2, 3 and 4 of the instructions. Is it because I am using the in built chip reader

So I tried a aux USB card reader USB2.0  = The micro sd chip does not even register on imageusb???
Ideas?

Thx

It might have something to do with the internal card reader...

I've had several failed attempts also with the PC's internal card reader and using programs other than specified, like Win32 and such and no go...

However, with a generic usb card reader and using imageusb everything works.

I've burned and re-burned several sd cards without any problem whatsoever.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...