IGNORED

SOtM smS-200 unveiled at Munich Hi-End

23 hours ago, Always.Learning said:

These instructions in the link two posts above appear to assume one is using Windows OS. I wonder if there are any comparable instructions that would work with Mac OS?

Yes, and it is much more easier with MacOS : http://docs.sotm-audio.com/doku.php?id=en:eunhasu:burn_sdcard_image#macos

Mac Mini server running Audirvana+

SOtM SMS-200 neo ultra w/ external clock output linked to a tX-USBhubEX 
SOtM SPS-500 powering both streamer and USB reclocker with Ghent Audio Y DC cable

Wyred4Sound DAC2DSDse w/femto clock

Audia flight FL TWO

B&W CM10S2

• 5 months later...
19 hours ago, BPED said:

Hello,

I have a SMS-200 and I just updated to v.4.59 from v 4.51.
I tried the 100Base T setting and the sound improvement is very good over the 1000Base T option.
However I do have an issue:

I Use Roon Core on a macbook connected via wifi (5G) to the SoTM SMS-200. In this configuration the 100Base T setting is not useable, even increasing buffer there are continuous drop outs, especially with 24 bit streaming.

If I connect the Macbook via ethernet to the SMS-200 I can use the 100 Base T setting without issues.

Could you please advise how to solve this for the wifi configuration? It is a much more convenient set up for me.

Also, Is there a way to share this with SOtM staff?

Thank you

Well the 100 base T setting has some issues, I wouldn't recommend it, it caused me some concerns although sound quality was better with it. I don't think it is ready yet for a stable use.

Then this setting is only for ethernet cable connections, nothing to do with wifi. So if you use Wifi it'll be fine and you won't depend on this issue.

Here on the forum there one person from SOtM  May, you'll find her in the user lists. I think SOtM is already aware of this issue.

SOtM SPS-500 powering both streamer and USB reclocker with Ghent Audio Y DC cable

Audia flight FL TWO

B&W CM10S2

I had no problem upgrading to 0.4.6 in Safari on MacOS, perhaps you should buy a macbook ? ;) 

Audia flight FL TWO

B&W CM10S2

14 hours ago, ronfint said:

What role does one's computer play once it tells Eunhasu to update?

The update is launched and monitored by the web service, so it depends on your web browser and Safari is only available on MacOS, system that usually runs on Apple PCs.

Audia flight FL TWO

B&W CM10S2

• 9 months later...
3 hours ago, stefano_mbp said:

... update fast and successful!

Yes, I works very well, and SQ is really improved 

Audia flight FL TWO

B&W CM10S2

• 2 weeks later...

It sounds good, a very nice present from SOtM to make time fly faster during pandemics...

Audia flight FL TWO

B&W CM10S2

• 2 weeks later...
22 minutes ago, audiobomber said:

The latest update was sorely needed; 4.81 sounded great but MPD/DLNA was a mess in my system. Play a song or two, then stop, hard to restart, play another song, stop, hard to restart...

4.9 is much more stable.

I had the same issue, a bit less annoying because it occurred more rarely.

After the OS upgrade, try a kernel upgrade. The last kernel version seems to be 4.18.19-215.fc27.armv7hl 

Audia flight FL TWO

B&W CM10S2

5 hours ago, audiobomber said:

I always do a Kernel update before updating the firmware.

Before ? Is it better ? As far as I picture linux modules work the system might be less stable if you do it before ?

Perhaps I don't really get how it works...

Audia flight FL TWO

B&W CM10S2

14 minutes ago, audiobomber said:

I asked May Park when the Kernel update should be done. Turns out it doesn't matter:

"Thanks for your request, actually it doesn’t matter when it has to be done, the kernel update is about to update the capable DAC information for the native dsd playback."
Best regards, May

Many thanks for asking and giving this feedback on May's answer.

At least, we can count on one of the few audiophile certainty : it actually does not matter ! 😎

Audia flight FL TWO

B&W CM10S2

22 hours ago, Abyss Man said:

Hi guys,

May I know what PSU everyone is using to power their units? I’m using sps-500 with nice results. I even tried a sps-1000 but preferred the sps-500. Ppl keep telling me to get a LPS but I feel the sps-500 suits better, am I the minority here?

I'm using the SPS-500 it works perfectly well for both my sms-200 and my tX-USBhub with a Y DC cable from ghent audio

I'm also using a Furutech AC cable to power the SPS-500  

Audia flight FL TWO

B&W CM10S2

• 2 years later...
5 hours ago, MayfromSOtM said:

The CPU latency tuning is the most important in this firmware version.

It is automatically enabled and users can disable it in the system config page. Because Enabling the CPU latency tuning can bring a significant sound improvement on the system., but it might sound a bit stingy for some few systems(in this case, recommend enhancing some devices hardwarely first), so we added a disable function.

Good job to all the SOtM team, I like this update. This is like another christmas present 🤩

Curious thing : the little yellow arrow for the update was on on the previous version, but didn't lead anywhere.

I had to burn a new image and load it this way.

Note : you may have to update the kernel after installing, it was needed here.

Audia flight FL TWO

B&W CM10S2

• 3 months later...

Thanks for the update, what I add to my knowledge here is updating solves most problems 😉

Audia flight FL TWO

B&W CM10S2

• 3 weeks later...

I use the Sandisk extreme pro witch is  very fast, but couldn’t hear any difference from other cards

Audia flight FL TWO

B&W CM10S2

• 2 months later...

Thanks @stefano_mbp for sharing the update info.

Everything went fine for me (sms-200 ultra neo) :

• system upgrade to 0.5.4 without sweat
  • kernel upgrade from 5.14.9-211.fc32.armv7hl to 6.1.33-210.fc32.armv7hl

Audia flight FL TWO

B&W CM10S2

• 3 weeks later...

I confirm : the updated version is 23.13

You need to uninstall MPD first, and install it again and it updates to the newest available on the SOtM OS

Audia flight FL TWO

B&W CM10S2

I think (this is very personnal) that the sound quality is better : more natural, better definition, but this is more subjective and personnal.

I did 3 updates in the process : eunhasu OS, kernel, and MPD so analysing any improvement is a bit random, although I "think" I like it better now 😁

My 2 cents of advice : just try it, it doesn't cost much and you probably won't have any regrets.

Audia flight FL TWO

B&W CM10S2