IGNORED

SOtM smS-200 unveiled at Munich Hi-End

As I find SOTM website doesn't clearly show the current firmware number or provides a list of previous firmwares (most other firms show a list of firmwares available)  and my audio chain/ SMS-200/audio router is not internet connected can someone please tell me what is the number of  the most up to date firmware/software, thanks.

• 4 months later...

I also have just upgraded from V0.4.14 to V0.4.17, mostly went well but initially wouldn't play anything, found some of my dac settings had been changed, principally software decoding which I changed back to hardware decoding then all well. I liked the sound of V0.4.14 very much the new firmware V0.4.17 I'm not so sure  it seems more treble orientated. Has anyone found this or is just my imagination.

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/20/2018 at 4:39 PM, welldone said:

I’ve updated the firmware of Sms200 to V0.4.18. There some functions have been added. I do wonder how to customize the following figures to get the best SQ. 

6BDC5F1B-1687-4D45-9849-F6156CC805B3.jpeg

The above earlier post indicates a firmware of V0.4.18 which I can't see on the SOTM web site, is this an error or is it available?

• 2 months later...

Can someone supply a web link to the firmware update section as I find the News section of the SOTM  site where firmware changes/updates are suppose to be listed doesn't seem to be up to date when new firmwares become available. I find this section of the Forum is at the moment the best indication of any updates.

• 1 month later...

Like some others before me I've updated the firmware and now the settings of the MPD that I am using have all change from my previous settings and one called Period Time which with the default value showed up in red as out of range, also the buffers are small. So what are the correct setup default values and what others have found to be best especially for playing back SACD iso files for this new firmware? If no one on this forums knows then SOTM should give us this info. Thanks

• 3 months later...

I think the reason for the virtual stop of my download installation is something to with the browser linked download connection with sotm server as I tried again to download the 7.4GB and it stalled again at around 3% with zero kb/s after that, I immediately started download the image using instead of my browser my internet download manager software and it ran all the way to the end at full speed . I will now try to mount th image directly onto the sd card.

I've downloaded the imageusb utility on the SOTM procedure page and installed it, ran it with the SOTM sd card in my sd computer slot but the image utility does not see the sd card even if I refresh the utility, Windows disk management sees it ok, so where now? Do I need to format the sd card first  (not mentioned in the SOTM procedure) if so what format method,  FAT32? This is turning out  to be quite a core.

I think my problem with the usbutility on the SOTM site is it is only for usb connected devices and I'm using my card slot, how stupid for SOTM to use this software when most laptops have a sd card slot that can be used so much more convenient . Is it ok to use Win32 to write the image as it appears in this program?

I'm now on 0.4.4 and get occasional stuttering when playing back using MPD not had this on my previous firmware, this is horrible, had to revert back to my other streamer no problems there. What a mess seeing all the earlier comments re 0.4.5 firmware update, this reminds me of the latest Windows 10 1809 updates which created havoc with me and others, can't these companies get it right in the first place, why are the consumers the guinea pigs.

When you say upgrade from the Eunhasus interface can you explain exactly what you mean as I tried to upgrade mine from this interface several times all with the same results with the download bar quickly reaching 2 or 3% then stopping for over an hour  I let this continue and still no progress and looking at the Windows Taskbar Network activity there was no send or receive happening just zero. I've download the image which took only minutes through my download manager programIs there a way apart from using the usbimage program SOTM suggest directly from my computer and using the Eunhasus interface to access it and carry out the upgrade from here?

I am already on 4.4  so can update to 4.5 without any interim download. The problem I have at present is that the SOTM usbimage suggested program doesn't work for me as I have no usb to micro sd card adapter and this program will not identify any sd card loaded from say a sd card in a card slot on the computer so this program is out for me at present. As I previously mentioned I can't see why you can't just use a sd card slot as they are on most laptops. I've tried using Win32 disk imager which sees the card fine  and a 32gb spare card but the browser doesn't see the Eunhasus page with the new card inserted, perhaps I need to start this setup from square one which may help.

According to to the usbimage details on its web site it doesn't show any non usb connected drives as a precaution so I don't know how this happens on yours apart from perhaps if its say a desktop that the reader is actually connected internally via a usb connection. Perhaps I will try my other laptop and use its inbuilt card slot and see if that works.

Just finished listening with the firmware 4.5 installed using MPD and default settings plus no gain and no mixer and library update unticked these are my normal settings. Sound appears very good with a larger more open soundstage than before, and perhaps a slightly harder sound in the treble area (not evident on all recordings). Stuttering only occasionally occurs at the very beginning of a track particularly when hitting the next track on JRiver that I use, it doesn't occur every time  and I did get that with the firmware 4.2 as well. I think overall I would say to others if you use MPD that I would persevere with the 4.5 upgrade as it seems to be worthwhile but beware is does take a long time to install directly from the browser.

Update on my earlier note re Firmware 4.5 and MPD. This firmware using the standard settings as installed has settled down now and the stuttering initially happening at the start of some tracks doesn't occur now and everything works as it should. Finally got there after some false starts mainly due to the very slow download speeds great.

I'm on the new firmware 4.5, and the stuttering right at the beginning of a track (lasts only a second) has returned why this should come and go is a mystery to me, perhaps it s my setup using using JRiver 24 in front of the SOTM and its a JRiver  buffer setting or similar and not the SOTM. To be fair I did experience it also on a previous firmware 4.2. On the new firmware I also find when I switch off the SOTM the normal way from the browser it doesn't switch off it stays on, this did not occur with any of the previous firmwares. I also find with the new firmware that opening the tabs in the browser to check setups etc is very laggy I almost thought at first that it wasn't going to open but instead freeze as it was so long when compared to earlier firmwares.

• 2 weeks later...

I have just updated  to 4.5.1 but I still find the browser very slow switching between operations and I can't get HQPlayer on my computer to recognize the SOTM in the setup now whereas on 4.2.2 there was no problem. I think 4.2.2 was probably the best overall firmware for me, particularly in operation and as sound quality is very similar between these later firmwares.

• 3 weeks later...

Updated from 4.52 to 4.54 last night, no problems with install had to change mixer value only, plays well using both MPD/JRiver and HQPlayer, browser looks a bit different but loads marginally faster than previous firmware although still not as fast as some of the much earlier firmwares. Sotm seem to be getting there with this firmware after the terrible problems previously.

• 2 weeks later...