IGNORED

SOtM smS-200 unveiled at Munich Hi-End

I'm confused too, will ask for a more detailed explanation and report back. A user at this forum noticed improvement by network decoupling by FMC's, Sotm of cours refers to their own products.....

I recently got a SOTM200. With a Sbooster (12-13V) + Ultra 12V and with my Chord eQute (with Ifi wall wart psu) it really sounded a lot better than my Jplay-AO-dual-PC setup (see below or see my audio-profile). So I decided to keep the new setup. A second (borrowed) Sbooster on my eQute easily beats the IFi psu.

I use now JRMC as a DLNA server on my audioPC (AO optimized W2012R2 core) and Jremote on my Ipad. And I think I can hear that the SQ from JRMC on the W2012 OS is better than the JRMC server on W10-pro (same PC other partition). I did not expect that. But I wonder now if a SOTM Isocat 6 network isolator would have a similar effect. See the current discussion in this forum thread.

Check my profile for my audiosystem.

I just got my unit. Plugged it in and set up the web browser. I'm using dlna and Jriver For some reason the volume control doesn't work. Any thoughts? Stone cold sounds promising.

You are correct : no volume control with the JRMC DLNA server. For JRMC the SOTM200 is not a local zone, so you cannot set audio properties. Jriver refers you to the settings of their DLNA server and that one does not deal with volume settings. So you have to use the volume knob on your amplifier.

I just got my unit. Plugged it in and set up the web browser. I'm using dlna and Jriver For some reason the volume control doesn't work. Any thoughts? Stone cold sounds promising.

To add to my previous post : If you want digital volume control (risk of sound degradation) you can use the Squeezelite mode of the SOTM200, use LMS as server and use the free Squeezelite app as controller. (works on my Ipad, don't know about Android phones/tablets)

I have an SMS-100 which works with jrmc/jremote volume control. So that led me to think maybe my sd card needed an update.

I had the SOTM100 last year on loan for a fortnight, and decided that it was not as good as my old setup. I don't remember having problems then with the volume control with JRMC DLNA/Jremote : if so, we should ask May from SOTM about a possible update for the DLNA part of the SOTM200?

Both units use different software. The SMS-100 uses Sonore software and I think eunhasu was developed in house. It's entirely possible that volume control was eliminated at the expense of sound quality which is fine by me. I can use an apple remote to control my LH Labs Pulse Infinity.

I just sent an email to May of SOTM about this question. Let's see what she can tell us.

Where can I find the DSD add-on? I am using a Netgear SAN. I think the processor is ARM. Duo V2.

You apparently first need LMS V7.8 or V7.9. For my Synology NAS the highest version is V7.7.6, probably for your NAS also. Then there is no DSD plugin visible under settings. I installed beta version LMS V7.9 on my W10 Notebook. Ticked the box voor DSD-plugin and then I can play via the Squeezelite mode DSD files via PCM-DOP (384 max on my DAC). But JRMC DLNA can do real native DSD.

I'm using my PC and SB Touch synced to control the sMS-200 but I can't figure out how to control it from my android phone. I tried opening http://eunhasu/ from it but it doesn't work yet works fine when same address is typed into my PC browser. Tested data connection and it's working fine. When I type My Eunhasu in Adroid device all I get is a ''dead'' blank page with My Eunhasu written at the top of the page but no link to connect to Eunhasu itself.???

Type the IP-address of your SOTM200 : that works on my android phone with Chrome.

I sent an email to Ms. May of SOTM about this problem and she promised that it will be corrected :

"Thank you for the report, we were able to reproduce the same symptom at our end, and updated the firmware after the adjustment.

we are planning to update the f/w in a couple of days later and you are able to control volume through sMS-200.

I will inform you once we release the new f/w."

I can't figure out how to point Jriver to a USB drive off the back of the 200. When I plug in the drive Windows doesn't see it.

I can't either. I could only under the LMS/Squeezelite system see the USB drive. To get the LMS web page I had to fill in eunhasu.local. Then it appeared that the SOTM200 indexed every type of file on that USB disk and presents it in that website. You can play the tracks but I could have no influence on the way the SOTM200 made the library for the USB disk.

And I could not integrate the USB disk library with my NAS library.

Seems to me a quite "undeveloped" piece of software. As I am only interested in JRiver DLNA I did not scrutinize the Squeezelite section extensively. Maybe someone else knows more? The SOTM200 manual is absolutely useless on this point.

@Lee Henley : The Sbooster webpage has a warning that with their Ultra addition an external USB disk for the SOTM200 should be powered. Without the Ultra addition a bus-powered USB disk could be used. Don't know about the original SOTM200 psu.

• 2 weeks later...

The latest SOTM200 firmware update V0.3.0 (28-dec-2016) said "- Add wifi connection feature"

What does this mean? Can we connect a(ny) USB-Wifi-dongle to an USB port and hope that the Linux system will recognize it? Most dongles don't work with Linux. Or do we have to wait until SOTM announces it's own special Wifi-attachment or gives us a list of SOTM-approved dongles?

Has anybody experimented with this?

You need a wifi dongle with RTL8812AU chipset. Search in Amazon you'll find some.

Thank you for this info : I can find a few with this chipset like the TP-LINK Archer T4U AC1200 Wireless Dual Band USB Adapter; Have you actually tried it on the SOTM200?

I tried it with a Wifi-USB-Dongle (Gigablue Dualband with RTL8812AU chipset), I can choose the appropriate network, and the unit is detected in my WLAN, but in my controlpoint (BubbleDS) it isn't. I tried reboot and all common procedures without success. So there is no way to be able to stream......

Thanks for you info. I also sent my question to May from SOTM : let's see what she has to say. My controlpoint is Jremote, using a JRiver library DLNA server on my NUC. Actual music is on my NAS. I am just curious to hear if Wifi streaming would result in better or worse SQ.

The latest SOTM200 firmware update V0.3.0 (28-dec-2016) said "- Add wifi connection feature" What does this mean? Can we connect a(ny) USB-Wifi-dongle to an USB port and hope that the Linux system will recognize it? Most dongles don't work with Linux. Or do we have to wait until SOTM announces it's own special Wifi-attachment or gives us a list of SOTM-approved dongles?

May from SOTM sent me an email :

....Regarding sMS-200 USB wifi support, it has been available from the latest f/w ver.0.3.0, and the supportive USB Wifi dongle should uses RTL8812AU chipset to work with sMS-200 WiFi feature. (See webpage update)We recommend using “Edimax EW-7811UAC” and we are going to update this model on our website so that everyone can easily purchase the one. The purchase link will be there by the early next week.I like the wired one since WiFi is a bit slower than wired one and I’m using the iSO-CAT6 & dCBL-CAT7 for my Ethernet, so it seems okay for me. Best regards, MAy."

Seems clear to me. I will buy a Wifi dongle to try on the SOTM200. I need such a dongle anyway for other purposes. If May is right then soundwise it should not be an improvement.

..... Anyway I strongly recommend this little and cheap sonic upgrade.

I got my USB-Wifi dongle today : TPlink Archer T4U with RTL8812AU chipset. It is dual band and states 150 Mbps (2.4G) and 433 Mbps (5G) both with USB2. With USB3 it can go up to double these speeds. The SOTM200 has no USB3 but can use the 5G band. Not that I noted any difference in using either band. So I set my router to 2.4G (the only band my smartphone can use).

Installation was easy as described by Fujak above. I did not see a Wifi IP-address at first try, but after shutdown, removing the LAN-plug and restart with the Wifi-dongle, the SOTM200 got an IP-address.I use Jremote on my Ipad as controlpoint with a JRMC20 DLNA library server on my NUC (LAN connected) or on my Notebook (for these test purposes also LAN connected directly to my router). The SOTM200 (with Sbooster PSU) and the NUC are LAN connected via a cheap TPlink switch. The actual music albums are on my NAS (directly connected to my router).

My first question was : is the 2.4G band speed of 150 Mbps OK for my hires files? 24bit-384kHz flac is no problem as is DSD64. Problems do arise with DSD128: here there are dropouts (ca. 3-4 per 5 min.). But this is more a feature of the JRMC DLNA server than of Wifi-speed (same dropouts at band 5G). I haven't noticed any other dropouts. My SOTM200 is close to my Wifi-router (ca. 8 m) so my signal is quite strong.When switching between LAN and Wifi I noted that Jremote shows two SOTM "rooms" with the same name. The one selected by Jremote is the one before the change, so you have to select the other one. This is confusing and I think that SOTM should include in their new update a possibility to give 2 different names to the SOTM200 : e.g. SOTM200-LAN and SOTM200-Wifi

First impressions regarding SQ : I think I hear that the Wifi connection has a better SQ than the LAN-Switch-Router connection. I can hear similar differences as Fujak desrcribed above. But when I compare the Wifi SQ to the SQ obtained by connecting the SOTM200 directly to my Router (removing the LAN-switch) I am not so sure which has the better SQ : the LAN-SOTM200 sounds also much better without a switch (as noted on the forum here in the topic "A novel way to massively improve the SQ...etc.). Very clean and transparant, maybe with somewhat less bass than the Wifi-SQ. On the other hand : the Wifi SQ might have a slight warm glare to it, compared to the direct-LAN SQ. I have not yet made my decision. I will also try coming weekend the trick with bridging 2 LAN-ports on my NUC and connect one of them directly to the SOTM200 in order to eliminate the bad effects of a LAN-switch

• 3 months later...

@MayfromSOtM

My SOTM200 version is V3.3. If I want to update it (Chrome browser), after several minutes a message comes back that V3.3 is up-to-date and no newer version is needed. If I look above in this thread then I notice that there is a newer version. What is going on?

3 hours ago, sotm.kim said:

What did you see in upgrade page? Can you screen shot it for me?

Problem solved : I forgot that my SOTM200 is directly connected to my audio-server and can not see my router. After connecting the SOTM200 directly to my router the updates went OK.

Maybe it would be nice if the SOTM200 would report an error message like "can not reach internet" or "internet connection timed out" when trying to look for updates in this situation.

• 2 months later...
On 6/29/2017 at 6:04 PM, tedwoods said:

Update 3.9 is out and it adds Librespot and the ability to set static ip!

I have a NUC with 2 ethernet ports. The SOTM200 is connected to one port and the other is used to connect to my router. I cannot use the "standard" bridging method (impossible under WS2016-core) so I have used a DHCP program (www.dhcpserver.de) to give the SOTM an address. With the possibility of a static IP address for the SOTM200 I no longer need the DHCP program. Simplifies my setup.

• 1 year later...
48 minutes ago, Confused said:

That depends what you are asking.  I have not noticed any differences between any of the 0.4.5X versions, but I do find that the 0.4.5X versions are a clear step up from any of the previous firmware versions.  So 0.4.56 sounds much the same as 0.4.55, but that's ok, because 0.4.55 was sounding splendid anyway.

I agree : I noticed a somewhat better SQ from my SOTM200 going from 4.22 to 4.50. Since that update no more increase in SQ

• 4 months later...
1 hour ago, Confused said:

I think it was back in March that I posted about how much I liked V0.4.57.  Since then, things have moved on, there were reported issues with the new 100Base-T mode not working as it should with V0.4.57, and later firmware versions have been released.  Like many, I have updated to V0.4.58 and then V0.4.59.  I normally run Roon / HQPlayer to the sMS200-Ultra Neo, and in this mode the 100Base-T setting does not work with V0.4.59 in my system, a case of stuttering and interrupted play.  Not too much of an issue because all works fine if I set to 1000Base-T.  

Over recent weeks I have found myself less than 100% happy with V0.4.59, nominally it sounds great, but with some music I have found it a little fatiguing, maybe some kind of "digititus" creeping in, a case of a touch of HF harshness causing listening fatigue.

This got me wondering, was the V0.4.57 that I liked so much at the time actually better in my system?  Luckily, because I liked V0.4.57, I kept a spare SD card with this firmware, so a couple of weeks ago I switched back to V0.4.57, with the not working as it should 100Base-T mode selected. 

My conclusion after a couple of weeks, is that I do indeed prefer V0.4.57, in my case with the not working as it should 100base-T mode selected.  It sounds more or less the same as V0.4.59 to me in terms of detail, but just a little more "analogue" and without the fatiguing HF and certainly a fuller sound overall, which may account for the HF irritation being seemingly reduced.  V0.4.57 is much more to my liking, which is curious when you consider I am running the 100BASE-T mode, which clearly does not work as it should with V0.4.57.  This may be system dependant, as my set up will not run 100Base-T with V0.4.59, not without stuttering at least.  Or maybe V0.4.57 does sound a little different? 

I had a similar experience with my SOTM200 (see my profile for my system) :

V4.57 sounded great especially with the 100Base-T setting. 1000Base-T sounded a bit less (slightly harsher). After installing V4.59 I noticed severe stuttering with 100Base-T setting (using MPD/DLNA). Could only use 1000Base-T, which sounded not as good as V4.57 100Base. So I switched back to V4.57 as you did. 

• 2 weeks later...

100base-T and V4.59 did not work for me : severe stuttering. V4.6 with 100base-T is now OK if I set auto-negotiation to ON! If auto-negotiation is OFF the stuttering comes back. Maybe my situation is special : the SOTM200 is connected to the 2nd ethernet port on my NUC, so is not part of my regular network. Jriver on my NUC does pick up the SOTM200 if it has a static IP-address.

• 5 months later...

I am trying to use Qobuz with the MPD/DLNA section of my SMS-200 (v4.7). In it's config you can see :

Knipsel1.thumb.JPG.e8aee03a86cc81c4a499cacc85bff191.JPG

I fill this out with my Qobuz user/pw and save it. Because Qobuz itself does not communicate directly with DLNA streamers I had to use the controller app Kazoo on my Ipad. There I can see the SMS-200 as "server" :

Knipsel2.JPG.e50e4bf6903e3ab86c1823bddcd41e54.JPG

Going to Kazoo "rooms" or renderer page I see :

Knipsel3.JPG.c9db1f5a6a3e8291a26240aae18c753a.JPG

Nice : This might work, but if I click on Qobuz I get an error message :

Knipsel4.JPG.695fed649fac2bcd4a86aabaac1d801e.JPG

Apparently the Qobuz login data stored in the SMS-200 are not reaching Qobuz.

Has anybody used this method with success? 

What does work is the control app MConnectHD (7 €) on my Ipad which has a special Qobuz login procedure. But it would be nice if I could use the SMS-200 DLNA directly, then the choice of control apps would be much broader.

28 minutes ago, stefano_mbp said:

I was facing your problem a couple of months ago

I contacted May, she is in the Marketing department of SOtM ([email protected]), and after more or less a week of suggestions and trials she gave me the solution to use MConnect to stream Qobuz to my SOtM sms 200. 
she also told me that “some day” the problem would have been addressed....

After some investigations about MPD and UPNP, I discovered that there is a problem in UPNP protocol due to OpenHome configuration

You can read yourself here https://www.lesbonscomptes.com/upmpdcli/upmpdcli-manual.html#UPMPDCLI-RENDERER-FORMATS in this chapter Accessing the streaming services with OpenHome from Kazoo

I suspect that this could be the real problem and the solution seems ... remote

I didn’t try another solution as my Qobuz trial period expired, you could install Bubbleupnp server on SOtM, you can find it in Eunhasu UI and configure it here the instructions to configure https://www.bubblesoftapps.com/bubbleupnpserver2/)

It works on top of MPD/UPNP and could give the access to Qobuz

Hope this can help you

Thank you for your answer,

I also notified May from SOtM, maybe she has an update? Anyway : BubbleUpNp did not solve this question. Mconnect maybe working but it has a huge omission : for classical music it does not list the tag "composer"  which is a persistent problem for us : the minority classical music listener.  If you are lucky the composer is a few clicks away, but not in Mconnect. So one day I probably would have to embrace Roon, which is still bit expensive for me.

• 2 weeks later...
45 minutes ago, stefano_mbp said:

@Peter_T & @Cebolla

just an update ...

I installed Bubbleupnpserver on a NUC/Ubuntu and defined my SOtM SMS 200 as an OpenHome render

then I selected it in LUMIN app and I could see Qobuz and Tidal icons in the raw where you can select Artists, Genres, Composers .....

I selected Qobuz icon and the login windows appeared and I filled it what my credentials

.... and it worked!

Now I can navigate and stream in Qobuz

.... just to let you know, maybe something has changed ....

6B16F71D-F4F8-4DE9-87AB-97C772DCA5C8.png

93CE1D37-31D9-4065-B7E3-613E3CE29659.png

Hi Stefano,

Thanks for your advice :

I was trying to see if the id/pw for Qobuz that one can enter into the settings of the SOTM200 DLNA section could work. It did not and still does not work even if you use BubbleUPNP openhome servers/renderer. What you show is that Lumiin has its own connection to Tidal and Qobuz, like some other control apps e.g. Mconnect. You use the SOTM here as openhome renderer only. But what I see is that the Lumiin app is better for Qobuz than the Mconnect app (Ipad). I emailed @May from SOTM about it and Qobuz. May confirmed that entering id/pw in the SOTM DLNA section does not work. She recommended Mconnect and Lumiin. But it might work in the future. @Cebolla is right : Qobuz stopped the beta version that used DLNA. But they said that they are still working on it. They have not abandoned it.