IGNORED

Synology DS216+ setting up Apple Time Machine?

Just setting up a DS216+ and for the life of me can't find a way to setup a new Time Machine backup. Have been trying to use the Synology KB article here :

https://www.synology.com/en-us/knowledgebase/DSM/tutorial/Backup_Restore/How_to_back_up_files_from_Mac_to_Synology_NAS_with_Time_Machine

I get as far as step 3, then the article differs from what I see in DSM. Has anyone had any success in setting up Time Machine in DSM 6.0 with IOS 10.11.4?

greyscale

greyscale

Marantz 6007, PSB Image B6 & B5, Synology 216+, 2010 Macbook Pro

Audirvana 3.03, JRiver.

Just setting up a DS216+ and for the life of me can't find a way to setup a new Time Machine backup. Have been trying to use the Synology KB article here :

https://www.synology.com/en-us/knowledgebase/DSM/tutorial/Backup_Restore/How_to_back_up_files_from_Mac_to_Synology_NAS_with_Time_Machine

I get as far as step 3, then the article differs from what I see in DSM. Has anyone had any success in setting up Time Machine in DSM 6.0 with IOS 10.11.4?

greyscale

I've been using Time Machine backup to my Synology for some time, so know it can work ;)

Can you be a bit more specific about where the issue arises? I just looked at it myself, and my screen looks exactly like the screenshots in the documentation, so need more info to figure out where the process is going awry.

John Walker - IT Executive

Headphone - MacMini running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi wireless > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > iFi Audio xDSD + iFi Audio xCAN > Focal Elegia

Home Theater - Mac Mini running Roon Server > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Pioneer Elite SC-81 > MartinLogan Motion series home theater speakers + M&K subwoofer

John, Thanx for the reply. I'm at this minute performing a first TM backup of my MBP. I managed to get TM setup by ignoring the screen shots in the Synology setup as their setup included items I have not set up on my 216+. Also, the only hitch I did find, was I was unable to set size limtit for TM(was greyed out).

Yes, I'm learning, but still having fun(DUH).

Thanx again

greyscale

greyscale

Marantz 6007, PSB Image B6 & B5, Synology 216+, 2010 Macbook Pro

Audirvana 3.03, JRiver.

I created a dedicated user for TM on my DS414j and set the quota at user level. All of the machines in the house which backup using TM use that user account.

Music Room: Naim CDX/XPS (Olive) and Auralic Altair>Naim NAC82 (Olive)>Naim NAP250 (Olive)>Atlas Ascent 3.0 speaker cables>Focal Aria 906 speakers.

Kitchen: Auralic Aries Mini>Arcam Alpha>B&W M1 speakers.

Office: Mac Mini 2012>Audioquest Evergreen>Meridian Explorer2 DAC>Ruark Audio MR-1 active speakers.