IGNORED

Software to help correct file naming/tags

Hello all,

I have a rather large music library (100GB+) and the issue i have, is that my file naming scheme has changed over time or even just between different settings on ripping software on different PC's.

And example of such would be:

\Media\FLAC\Metallica

then the sub-directories:

\Media\FLAC\Metallica\... And Justice For All (Original US Pressing)(Hi-Rez)

\Media\FLAC\Metallica\1991 08 – Metallica

\Media\FLAC\Metallica\2008 09 12 – Death Magnetic

\Media\FLAC\Metallica\Kill 'Em All

or even with discs:

\Media\FLAC\Metallica\S&M, Disc 1

\Media\FLAC\Metallica\S&M, Disc 2

vs

\Media\FLAC\Metallica\Live Shit-Binge & Purge\Disc 1

\Media\FLAC\Metallica\Live Shit-Binge & Purge\Disc 2

\Media\FLAC\Metallica\Live Shit-Binge & Purge\Disc 3

So you can see the difference, in the first group some album titles included years some didnt, in the multiple disc entries some are just under \artist\album, disk others are \artist\album\disc

Is there some software out there that can help make these things consistant? even in song titles some go:

[track #] [title]

others are

[track #] - [title]

and its causing issues when im trying to set up tagging in programs like jriver

Just use a good tagging program. Try Puddletag, its free. The layout makes it very fast and easy to do batch and individual tags all within the same layout, without switching back and forth. 100gb of albums shouldn't take long at all, even if the files are lossy (mp-3). You shouldn't have to worry too much about file structure. As long as the names are good enough to populate a tagger, its fast to correct. For example, if you have 20 Metallica albums all messed up 20 different ways, control click and highlight all 20, populate the common tags like Genera, Artist and auto number the tracks, and save. Then its just a matter of touching up the albums individually.

Hello all,

I have a rather large music library (100GB+) and the issue i have, is that my file naming scheme has changed over time or even just between different settings on ripping software on different PC's.

Just use a good tagging program. Try Puddletag, its free ....

The first thing that attracted me to Foobar2000 was it's metadata programming functionality. You might want to give that a go. Before you try it however, simply ensure that Columns UI and Popup panels plugins are installed.

Those plugins are readily available in components section at:

foobar2000: Components Repository

I have Foobar as well. Its definitely one of the better taggers you can get, and is fully capable of doing what the OP needs to do. That said, I still like Puddletag better. The way its laid out just makes everything fast and easy.