IGNORED

Bluesound Node 2

Wifi is my only internet. We have no hard wired web here. Fortunately the Apple iPad, iPod, and AE work well on wireless.

I thought I read of a wifi DAC but don't remember. 

I am hoping to find other devices besides Cobblestone Muzo that works on wifi. The only problem with the Cobblestone is that you have to use the Muzo app and see Tidal within that app, which is clumsy. 

Audio.bil 

Good idea. This may work better than the Airport Express. I will give it a try for sure. 

The AE does drop out just long enough to stop a cd from copying into the Vault. What happens is that the cd copy is in the vault with no info or data, just unknown cd. So I delete it and recopy. That is about 10% of the time, making the cd burning so frustrating that I quit entering cds to the vault. Easier to just play the cd.

Are you saying that the  Linksys AC1200 MAX will work like an Airport Express, from wifi without being plugged into a modem? 

I went to the Dept Store and looked at a bunch of Lynksys, Belkin, Google etc Wifi routers and they all need to plug into a modem just as my Airport Extreme booster does.

Some of the Lynksys boxes showed the connection to the modem and some do not. I called the local computer repair IT store and they don't have such a device either. They all say that all the available wifi streamers go to a TV. 

4 minutes ago, BilboAlaska said:

Are you saying that the  Linksys AC1200 MAX will work like an Airport Express, from wifi without being plugged into a modem? 

I went to the Dept Store and looked at a bunch of Lynksys, Belkin, Google etc Wifi routers and they all need to plug into a modem just as my Airport Extreme booster does.

Some of the Lynksys boxes showed the connection to the modem and some do not. I called the local computer repair IT store and they don't have such a device either. They all say that all the available wifi streamers go to a TV. 

yes, that's the idea.  the issue is whether the unit can operate in bridge mode -- this mode allows it to join a wireless network and have clients connected to its ethernet ports.

(1) holo audio red (hqp naa) > chord dave > luxman cl-38uc/mq-88uc > kef reference 1
(2) simaudio moon mind 2 > chord qutest > luxman sq-n150 > monitor audio gold gx100

@BilboAlaska - I didn't look closely at that product until now - it's a range extender, intended to take your existing Wi-Fi network and repeat the signal to extend the range.

I haven't ever had good luck with range extenders. Also sounds like your Wi-Fi network covers everywhere.  What I'd do is get a wireless router and configure it in Bridge mode. Looks like most Linksys routers can do this (checked out manuals on their web site) and would assume that routers from the top brands can too (of course check out their manuals). The router simply joins your existing wireless network and allows the remaining Ethernet ports to act like a switch.

(1) holo audio red (hqp naa) > chord dave > luxman cl-38uc/mq-88uc > kef reference 1
(2) simaudio moon mind 2 > chord qutest > luxman sq-n150 > monitor audio gold gx100

I have read user reviews stating that the Linksys AC1200 MAX can be used as an access point, allowing you to connect devices to its Ethernet ports once it's connected to your WiFi network. Also from the product details:

Four Gigabit Ethernet Ports for Wired Connections

In addition to wireless connectivity, the RE6500 features four Gigabit Ethernet ports that are 10 times faster than traditional Fast Ethernet ports, allowing you to establish fast, secure wired connections to desktop or laptop computers or virtually any other Internet-enabled device. Placing the range extender on a desk near the device makes wired connections easy.

With such technology there is never any assurance that it will work in your specific situation, so I'd only suggest purchasing it from a source that will allow you to return it for a full refund if it doesn't meet your needs.

WOW, the Bluesound Node finally works!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!     after 8 months of frustration. 

It just took the guy at Bluesound to call me on the phone and take control of my computer. He first downloaded a new Bluesound Controller to my computer and got it up and running and connected to the Node. Then we turned the computer off and the Node worked on the iPad automatically. I would never have got it running myself. 

The node does still drop out occasionally for a few seconds as it did when connected via the Airport Express. But it drops on it's own too. the Airport Express also drops out at about the same rate.

Bluesound agrees with the suggestion made here to add a wifi booster, such as the Lynksys. He also named a few others such as D-Link but recommended against Google routers/boosters. 

On 4/24/2018 at 4:54 AM, audio.bill said:

I believe Bluesound's decision to require a hardwired Ethernet connection instead of WiFi for their Vault is quite logical. Since it's their only product incorporating a hard drive which is also meant to function as NAS, network connectivity and throughput is critical to its operation. Using a WiFi connection to such a device could compromise its ultimate speed and lead to more support issues dealing with streaming applications.

Yes. Since I use the Airport Express to make the Vault work on wife it is indeed unreliable. When the AE drops for just a second the burning of the cd continues to happen then you have an “unnamed” cd in the data base. So you have to go into the system and delete it then try to burn it in again. Hopefully the Lynksys will be more stable than the AE. Hopefully the Lynksys will also eliminate the dropping out that the Node 2 does a lot.

I complained to the server, web provider about replacing the incoming wireless hotspot modem that had an ethernet out with one that has no ethernet, usb outlets. My web provider suggests that I get a wireless modem that has ethernet plug like the one that they used to provide. The problem is it would have to be open to use by their specific server and I have no idea what router that would be.

They call it a “gsm modem, unlocked”. I guess I could just order one and see if it works. 

I got the Linksys Router and called tech support to help set it up. Linksys says that the router must be plugged into a modem to work. It will not work from a hot spot or from wifi. Back to the store. 

Linksys says that I should get a modem with an ethernet plug. Well yes, if I knew what that was. The web provider says that I need a GSM unlocked modem. Linksys says that they don't have such a thing. 

How the date ended. After the good tech support this week to get the Node 2 working, it is dead in the water already today. It will not connect to my computer nor iPad.  I am quitting Bluesound for good. I will box it up and someday if I have an internet modem with ethernet I will try it hard wired. It is useless as a wifi device. Maybe someday they will make it work as good as an Apple Airport Express or the Cobblestone Muzo for streaming. I have wasted enough hours on it.

• 2 months later...

I've owned the Bluesound Node 2 for a year now, and I highly recommend it.  I went through a period of unhappiness due to some software bugs (which I have posted about), but a software update in April solved most of them.  Although the Mac OS X app is still a little buggy (doesn't refresh correctly when the music changes and "favorites" don't work), these are minor annoyances given I use the iOS app most of the time.   And really, the software (the OS X version included) is quite nice.

Generally, I'm convinced that the DAC/Streamer is the right combination of technologies, because I'll want to upgrade both every three years or so to keep up with the  latest DAC chips and file compatibilities, and everything else (amplification/speakers/volume control) remains current a lot longer.

In terms of sound quality, it is very good, but not excellent.  Manhattans (which I have heard) and Lumins (which unfortunately I have not), with their dual mono dacs and beefy power supplies are surely an upgrade, but for me, the price to upgrade to those devices now is not worth it given that I will naturally upgrade in two years or so to another device in the Node price range.

Another factor that draws me to the Node is that it doesn't try to do too much.  For example, there's no fancy attenuator.  My integrated has that, and I think it will serve my purposes.   I hope the Node's relatively minimalist form factor endures, and that even better sounding Node-like devices compatible with the latest technologies are available for long time.

Bluesound Node 2-->LFD LE Mk V-->HSU VTF-1 Subwoofer (via high-level inputs)-->Harbeth P3ESR

Just now, adolph.hernandez said:

Have you looked at the Auralic Aires streamers? I'm using the Aires + LPS and it sounds great, my only criticism is it's UI, it's not very intuitive, however it can be used and a Roon end point.

I have read reviews and the brand looks enticing. I have to figure out what else I need. Aires plus DAC and NAS right?

Sonore microRendu is another one I have been reading about, as it is Roon friendly. 

I have to figure out if a particular unit, DAC/Server can be hard wired to the iPad/iPhone if it does not work with wifi. 

I am very green with connection electronics, but have read hundreds of reviews. The more I read the more confused I get.

• 2 months later...