IGNORED

Bluesound Node 2

Hi all, I've just ordered a Node 2 !

Is anyone using the coaxial out? In all of my reading so far I've only noticed everyone using the Toslink out.

My amp accepts 24/192 on the coax input, and 24/96 on toslink. I'll try both but just wondering if anyone has anything against coax, compared with toslink?

Cheers

I use a Wyred 4 Sound bLINK re-clocker with mine in conjunction with a Bifrost Multibit or Qute EX DAC. Sounds great. Do I need to use it? No, absolutely not. The Node 2 sounds pretty good using it's on-board DAC as well, IMO .. not quite at the level of either of my DACs but still most acceptable. Which re-clocker(s) were you contemplating? The new iFi S/PDIF Reclocker has my interest.

Yep the new ifi relocker has my interest too ! So the reclocker with the Bluesound Node 2 isn't as essential as with a Sonos or Chromecast Audio it seems. That's good to know.

Sent from my Blackberry DTEK50 using Tapatalk

No, not essential as has been reported elsewhere. Unfortunately there hasn't been much interest in Bluesound here. I would give a good listen before adding a re-clocker if just for evaluation purposes. BTW, I'm thinking the iFi Re-clocker should be my audio Xmas present this year :).

I'm guessing you read the same review on DAR about the iFi re-clocker? Nice Xmas present indeed

The Node 2 is one of the best sources I've found, so although I've tried it with a Monarchy DIP the difference isn't huge. It may just be the result of using the better interface on the DAC.

I don't think there's much discussion of it here as it 'just works', no tweaking required. I've dismantled my audio PC now as I don't need it.

I think you're right. Still waitiing for my Node 2 to arrive. Hoping it's here before the weekend! In comparison, I've also been interested in the microRendu so I've been looking at all the tweaking with that - and there's a lot that can be done. Not only in the renderer's output mode but so many different power supply upgrades. And different softwares (Roon, JRiver etc) and different controller apps.

My Peachtree 220se supports USB input (24/192), coax (24/192) and toslink (24/96) but I think their USB input might be their strength, given their long history with integrateds with DACS - also personal experience listening. So I'm keen to try out a microRendu's USB out and compare to the Node 2 via coax out... Ease of use and reliability is important to me too, so I don't think I'll have any complaints with the Node 2. Price point's are similar-ish, so should hopefully be a fair comparison.

Just posted this on another forum but thought I'd grieve over here too. Node 2 arrived today. Only 1 issue but it's a major one.

My integrated's DAC (Peachtree 220se) supports 24/192 over coax and 24/96 over toslink. And with my old Oppo 103 I played 24/192 over coax with no issues.

Anyway with the Node 2, 24/192 FLACs and ALACs (both) aren't playing over coax - there's a faint cracking through the speakers. I switch to toslink and 24/192 files play fine (even though my amp/DAC only supports 24/96 over toslink).

24/96 FLACs and ALACs play fine over coax though.... only 24/192 is the issue....

It's an Analysis Plus coax cable, which was fine with my Oppo 103. Before anyone asks - no I haven't tried another cable yet. Don't have one around tonight so will try and borrow one tomorrow night.

I've raised a support ticket with Bluesound so we'll see what they say. They're pretty quick and helpful.

I hadn't read anything about limitations with 24/192 over coax for the Node 2, so I'm guessing something in the system (amp, cable, or Node 2) isn't right.

Annoying because I quite like the app and speed of browsing. It indexed my 80,000 + collection in a couple hours (QNap 251+ with SSD drives, over ethernet) which was awesome.

@Em2016 .. coax is not limited. 24/192 works over both coax and optical (with a Lifatec glass cable in my system). I would do the same as you and try a different cable. Hope it works out. BTW, I use a Black Cat Silverstar! coax.

Thanks Melvin, I almost broke down in tears. Slight exaggeration there but you know what I mean. Day 0 issues are the worst.

I'm borrowing another coax cable tomorrow. I would have thought if it's the cable that nothing would work - 24/96 files work fine over coax though.

When I first setup the Node 2, it did an update and then I synced my library. So I've just 'factory reset' the device and will re-try, on the odd chance it was a software thing.

Once the indexing is re-done in the next half hour or so (I can't believe how quick it's going) I'll move the Node 2 to my Denon 4520 receiver and try with my existing coax there.... If that works then I've isolated the issue to my Peachtree amp/DAC. If it doesn't work with the Deon then I'll be pretty sure it's either the coax cable or the Node 2 itself...

Thanks Melvin, I almost broke down in tears. Slight exaggeration there but you know what I mean. Day 0 issues are the worst.

I'm borrowing another coax cable tomorrow. I would have thought if it's the cable that nothing would work - 24/96 files work fine over coax though.

When I first setup the Node 2, it did an update and then I synced my library. So I've just 'factory reset' the device and will re-try, on the odd chance it was a software thing.

Once the indexing is re-done in the next half hour or so (I can't believe how quick it's going) I'll move the Node 2 to my Denon 4520 receiver and try with my existing coax there.... If that works then I've isolated the issue to my Peachtree amp/DAC. If it doesn't work with the Deon then I'll be pretty sure it's either the coax cable or the Node 2 itself...

Just tried it with the Denon and same coax - I can now rule out the Node 2 and the cable. 24/192 flacs and alacs worked fine with the Denon receiver.

I'm quite surprised it's the Peachtree 220se. That was the last thing I expected to play up because it's been rock solid for a year now.

Must be something with the DAC over coax, over 24/96. It sounds a little too specific but it is what it is. I'll get in touch with Peachtree.

It could be a compatibility issue between the two devices. I different cable might resolve the issue.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

I'm sceptical but I will try this tomorrow, just to dot the i's and cross the t's. I know what you're saying though - stranger things have happened in the audio world

It could be a compatibility issue between the two devices. I different cable might resolve the issue.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

You can add this one to the list of "stranger things have happened".

I replaced the $100 Analysis Plus coax (which works fine with my Denon receiver) with a cheap coax and it plays 24/192 music no issues.

Lesson learnt - even if you're sceptical about trying something basic, just do it anyway to properly rule it out - you could be surprised.

The good news is music is flowing through the Node 2 :-)

Now the head scratching part - what the the Analysis Plus's problem? Why doesn't it like my Node 2 and/or amp's DAC?

The only difference I can tell between the expensive cable and the cheap is the former has excessive shielding. Could that be the issue?

Now to find a better coax - although this cheaper one is 75ohm and already doing a decent job.

I'm thinking of just getting a better build cable, not necessarily with all the fancy shielding.

Appreciate any opinions.

Did I mentioned I love the Node 2? :-)

Been doing some extensive listening this weekend. I'm preferring the DAC in the Node 2 compared to the one in my Peachtree 220se (ESS Sabre) integrated amp. Via the Node 2's RCA outs, music sounds more fun and 'musical' and less analytical and fatiguing than my via the coax out into my dac/amp. More toe-tapping going on using the Node 2's DAC.

I also did some comparing against USB out from a PC, with a iFI USB Purifier 2 and still prefer music from the Node 2's DAC into my integrated.

Switching between coax, toslink and RCA out of the Node 2, I also found the music played loudest via the RCA outs (Node 2's audio set to fixed volume output). What could be the reason for this observation?

Highly recommend this product.

• 9 months later...
On 6/23/2017 at 0:37 AM, mansr said:

I was hoping someone might have tried it and could answer the question definitively.

I'll try and ask another forum also.

If anyone here has a Macbook with Optical output (or a PC) could you try plugging into the Node 2's optical input. Then play Tidal MQA from the Mac/PC to the Node 2's optical input.

And see if the Node 2 outputs 24/192 or 24/176? 

I think Joni Mitchell's Blue on Tidal should be 24/192, for the MQA version.

Sadly I parted with my Node 2 last year (for no good reason really, it's a great unit) so I can't test this myself.

• 9 months later...

Hi all

Are we expecting Airplay 2 to come to the Node 2?

Or are we thinking it will only come to the Node 3 (or whatever the next model is called)?

Have there been any hints or whispers by Bluesound that the Node 2 will get Airplay 2?

I do know the Bluesound is a partner with Apple to support Airplay 2 but wondered if that meant existing products or the next generation? 

Cheers!