IGNORED

Bluesound Node 2

• 3 weeks later...

I was traveling when I read this thread and decided to buy the Bluesound. Now home and ready to go, some questions. I was going to go for the Vault to make cd ripping easy. I do have several good cd players, Line Magnetic 215, Audiolab 8200CDQ, and Rega Apollo, and may upgrade my old Oppo to a 103 or 105. I wonder if one of these could be easily connected to rip to the Node 2 instead of getting the Vault 2?

You cannot connect a CD player directly to a Node, and besides the Vault includes a NAS drive for storage which the Node doesn't have. If you get a Node you would rip CDs on a networked PC and access the ripped files over the network. The Vault is another product entirely, which provides direct ripping and storage capability.

Fabulous, just what I am looking for. The simple solution for me. Cheers.

I was ready to buy and talked to a dealer (Portland, OR) and learned that the Vault does not have wifi. It has to be hardwired which is not convenient for me without installing a new wifi modem at the hifi.

Bluesound support:

Why does the Bluesound Vault and VAULT 2 not include Wi-Fi?

The Bluesound Vault and VAULT 2 can only be connected to your network by a wired Ethernet connection. Since the VAULT (2) is not only a Player but doubles as a reliable Network Attached Storage device for all of our other Players, Bluesound ensures it is always ready for the networking task of streaming high quality FLAC files it has encoded when it rips your CD collection.

The VAULT (2) does not have a wireless network card and will never enter Hotspot Mode.

The VAULT (2) network card is fully compliant and will work with most Powerline Ethernet Kits or Wireless Media Bridges to make installation location more flexible. Contact your Bluesound Authorized Dealer or the BluOS Support Crew to help recommend a solution for you.

So the search for a simple solution continues.

While in the shower it occured to me that I'd probably misunderstood your use case: you want the Vault near your hi-fi so you can use its analog/digital output. Ok, so here's another idea: put the Vault where you want and use a pair of Powerline adapters to "wire" it to your existing router.

TP-Link AV200 Nano Powerline Adapter Starter Kit, up to 200Mbps (TL-PA2010KIT)

Thanks so much for the input. I emailed a Bluesound dealer who suggested this which seems to be what you recommend:

"Ethernet over AC adapters are used to send ethernet signals from one place to another in your home using your house's electrical wiring as the conduit, instead of ethernet cabling."

Your link makes it clear exactly what that is. That would probably work here but when I move the wifi is next door. It seems the simple solution would be to move the internet connection to my own cabin. Really that will be the thing to do.

Couldn't you setup an older router as an access point and place it near the vault?

I don't know. If that works a new one is practical. So if I move the primary router to the hifi and put a booster for the computer if it needs it.

Thanks for the education. I do read a lot but there are so many solutions that it is overwhelming. I started all over again looking at:

Auralic

Naim

Cyrus

Cambridge

Sony

Olive

Meridian

etc.

So that is a whole other thread comparing all the choices. Not for the Bluesound Node thread. Cheers.

• 5 weeks later...

WAM thanks, I forgot about backing up. I had an Apple Airport Time Capsule on the old Mac that retired at OS7. I wonder if it will work on the new network. If not,1- I could get a new one but since it is automatic and wireless it backs up your whole computer etc. 2-I also have a Lacie Fuel wireless back up hard disc for my new iMac, that is simpler to use. 3d would be to get a real dedicated NAS for the music only. 

1 hour ago, WAM said:

-> rHead -> ATH w1000z).

Wam- Thanks. OK, I like the idea of a music NAS for backup and would be convenient for downloading and even burning LPs to the system.

what is the rHead and ATH?

Do I understand that to mean headphone amp and headphones?

You are using the Vault just for headphones? Or additionally to the home hifi, to add headphones?

I have a Heed Headphone amp on my Sonneteer Orton Integrated amp. Do you recommend an additional DAC on that? 

Thanks Wam:

"...If you want to backup the Vault, you need an external USB-drive..."

So the backup is not part of the network. Just a hard disc, not a "NAS" network attatched storage except being connected to the Vault by USB?

Headphone amp, great, I didn't even see it as I was focused on the back connections. So that eliminates the need for the outboard headphone amp. I can move that to the bedroom where the Rega BrioR has no headphone. I am always interested in headphone and amp recommendations. 

The Sonneteer Orton is just a great integrated amp that I plan to keep until they pry it from my cold dead fingers.  A guy was installing a new outside window in my house and he suddenly stopped, walked over to the hifi music, listened a while and said wow, that is the best stereo he ever heard.  It is Penaudio Cenya speakers on stands with a sub (which I only use occasionally  to rock out) and a Line Magnetic LM215 cd player. So the Vault may complete the system. 

I plan to get a good DAC one of these days for another system set up so I will be able to compare it to the Vault at my leisure. 

Yes, the music is the thing!

Thanks for the input. Kevin

4 hours ago, audio.bill said:

The Vault requires a hardwired Ethernet connection but the Node can be setup to operate via WiFi.

Thanks. That would be simpller to add wireless streaming to another room than other methods. I considered DAC/Airport Express but the cost would be equal to getting a $400 DAC including interconnect cable as the Airport is $100. Plus the Node would be 1 box no interconnect.

Thanks. It is a great fit since I am setting up a Vault2 in my dedicated music room (wife calls it the 'guest room'). The Node is for the main house living room etc.

I did email my Bluesound dealer but they never got back to me so I appreciate that I can plan on.

I am 90% decided to add Roon to my Tidal. 

• 3 weeks later...

I don't know why the Node cannot be wifi from the computer because mine is wireless picking up the Vault 2. So why can it pick up the Vault wirelessly and not the network without the Vault?

I don't know how to determine the stream rate. I guess it is limited by the Airport Express that the Vault 2 is on. 

After getting my first streaming experience I looked into Roon and their website recommends against Apple network and Airport Express? 

Streaming is confusing as hell.

From Roon: 

Sorry Apple! Your laptops are great, but routers and network attached storage devices aren’t your strong suit.

Avoid the Time Capsule, AirPort Extreme and AirPort Express for audio streaming. These devices work fine for basic tasks, but we suspect Apple are exiting this business and have noticed that they’re paying little attention to open issues. We’ve had an uptick of support issues related to these devices, so right now our best suggestion is to avoid them altogether.

From the page: 5 Tips for WiFi Streaming: 

file:///Users/kevincorr/Desktop/working/HiFi%20music%20working/5%20Tips%20for%20Wifi%20Audio%20Streaming.webarchive

• 4 weeks later...

So really, I still wonder what level dac would improve the Node 2 and Vault 2?

There must be a better dac available but it would have to have the appropriate connections. I wouldn't mind putting a dac in line if that improved it. One would need to know if that would work and how much one would expect to spend to upgrade the Bluesound?

If you spent double the cost of the Node 2, you may get what, 10%, 20% improvement?

Bluesound App keeps reminding me of the new upgrade so I downloaded it and dragged it into the apps folder. It did not upgrade so I repeated but I keep getting the old one back when I install the newly downloaded one. that is on an iMac. I didn't bother with the iPad because if I can't do it on the iMac I give up until I can call support. Fortunately, Bluesound has excellent customer support. I was impressed. It is like Apple who will walk you through the repair or problem.

• 3 months later...

I have a Node 2 and a Vault 2 and they sound good compared to my cd players:

Line Magnetic LM215 cdp,

Audiolab 8200CDQ;

Rega Apollo. I asked this question way back about playing the Bluesound through a more expensive DAC. 

Tascaam cdp

My problem is that my internet connection is wireless only and not very good. I end up playing cds more in spite of the fun of finding new music on Tidal. Maybe someday when I move.

I am not sure my problem is my wifi. The Node 2 often fails to connect to my wifi but my iMac, iPad and iPhone all work on the wifi. The Node 2 shows a solid green light and the Node2 shows up in the system settings of both iMac and iPhone so it has a signal,  but fails every time to connect. It has worked but won't anymore.

Bluesound help center is good but not direct like Apple Care is. You have to email to make an appointment for them to call you which I have done several times. I am dead in the water. Help is days away.