IGNORED

Apology to Schiit team and everyone here

That is quite an absurd statement. There are many very qualified opinions disagreeing with the 'need' to deploy a weapon that would wipe out civilian populations indiscriminately. You should probably just STFU and stop embarrassing yourself.

You are probably correct. Too bad the world turned left. Can we end this discussion now?

George

They have the mic shoved right in the piano. They should have pulled it out a few feet to give a more natural presentation.

This is one of my pet peeves wrt commercial recordings. Room-wide pianos with the bass-end of the piano coming from the left wall and the treble-end coming from the right wall is every kind of wrong to me. People do not stick their heads inside of a piano to listen to it. That being the case, why would one stick microphones in side the piano to record it? This is my major complaint against Mark Waldrep's AIX Records productions. He uses a piano "pole" across the piano with at least three microphones set inches from the strings. It doesn't sound real and it doesn't sound right!

PianoMicPlacement-300x212.jpg

George

I enjoy listening to audio of WWII documentaries.

Do you prefer them in DSD or PCM? Oops, sorry, wrong thread :D

Analog: Koetsu Rosewood > VPI Aries 3 w/SDS > EAR 834P > EAR 834L: Audiodesk cleaner

Digital Fun: DAS > CAPS v3 w/LPS (JRMC) SOtM USB > Lynx Hilo > EAR 834L

Digital Serious: DAS > CAPS v3 w/LPS (HQPlayer) Ethernet > SMS-100 NAA > Lampi DSD L4 G5 > EAR 834L

Digital Disc: Oppo BDP 95 > EAR 834L

Output: EAR 834L > Xilica XP4080 DSP > Odessey Stratos Mono Extreme > Legacy Aeris

Phones: EAR 834L > Little Dot Mk ii > Senheiser HD 800

I was present when they recorded this video:

It could be the mic'ing but in my opinion the piano stands out more than what I remember listening in that hall...

It's not one of my usual testing tracks (the SACD was probably recorded during the previous or subsequent days).

R

Is it me, or is the color off?

You got my vote at the convention.

Maybe you should hold out a little while - that could be a valuable commodity.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Maybe you should hold out a little while - that could be a valuable commodity.

Funny but your comment pretty much depicts the current sorry state of America and the political system in general.

However now that I am turning 63 this weekend and approaching my "entitlement years" maybe I should vote for Bernie or Hillary. They are promising me more stuff in two years no? Kasich that dog wants means testing for Social Security. I can't stand these "Conservatives". I finally get there and now they want to take it away.

Go Bernie. Plus he (along with Schumer, Ruth Bader Gunsburg and Norm Coleman) went to my competing HS

Go Bernie. Plus he (along with Schumer, Ruth Bader Gunsburg and Norm Coleman) went to my competing HS

Wouldn't this make you guilty of siding with the opposition or at least the competition.

Also, luv the typo on Gunsburg. :)

I get your sentiments though. Been telling my 20 something nephew he should be voting for Bernie. They are offering him everything for free just for being alive.

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

Wouldn't this make you guilty of siding with the opposition or at least the competition.

Also, luv the typo on Gunsburg. :)

I get your sentiments though. Been telling my 20 something nephew he should be voting for Bernie. They are offering him everything for free just for being alive.

I just tell all my liberal young partners to vote for higher taxes in order to pad my "entitlements" if that is what they want. At this point the "opposition" is anyone who has anything to do with DC. I think once you strip away some of the social nonsense, most "rational" people would probably find common ground on close to 95% of the issues.

I see that the thread has meandered off to something else.

Not that it should have been any different.

The OP is back to questioning Schiit and their lack of DSD, what 1% means, and back to starting inane polls...

Guess CA is the only place where Schiit, Bernie, Obama, Japan, WW2, Hiroshima and Nagasaki, atomic bombs, etc. merge.

Next to the Word of God, the noble art of music is the greatest treasure in the world - Martin Luther

This is one of my pet peeves wrt commercial recordings. Room-wide pianos with the bass-end of the piano coming from the left wall and the treble-end coming from the right wall is every kind of wrong to me. People do not stick their heads inside of a piano to listen to it. That being the case, why would one stick microphones in side the piano to record it? This is my major complaint against Mark Waldrep's AIX Records productions. He uses a piano "pole" across the piano with at least three microphones set inches from the strings. It doesn't sound real and it doesn't sound right!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]25329[/ATTACH]

You can just see the microphone stands at some distance about 1-1.5m away from the piano. The recording played back details the piano as centrally placed. 5:39. No pole.

[video=youtube;Y-lsE5aCHYM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-lsE5aCHYM

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

It IS all that we have. Unless the recording companies are going to start mass producing commercially available reels of flat transfer tapes and we all have the same tape player that they do! Everything else is a fabrication with some gear being closer to "real". All digital is an approximation of analog... by definition.

Nope. Has it not ever occured to you that all "analog" recording is also an approximation of the music being produced? ...by definition. Nothing inherently superior about it to digital....by definition. The possibility that you may prefer it, is not relevant to the issue.

and we all have the same tape player that they do!

and the same goes for turntable setups and cartridges.

But analog isn't an "approximation"? :)

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

You can just see the microphone stands at some distance about 1-1.5m away from the piano. The recording played back details the piano as centrally placed. 5:39. No pole.

1.5m is still too close, much closer than anyone would be sitting in live conditions.

But studio recordings are a whole different matter...

I suggest that you compare this with Mario's drum kit recording.

R

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

My point was not that everybody used a pole across the inside of a grand piano, but a fair number of recordings are made that way and the astute listener can always tell by the wall-to-wall piano that sounds as if you, the listener, are inside the piano. I have also seen setups where the microphones are mounted on several booms and the booms are lowered into the (lidless) piano until they are just a couple of inches above the strings. Same wrong (to me) result.

I had Mark Waldrep's AIX sampler, and it is a Blu-Ray disc with video as well as audio. In every cut where there is piano, you can plainly see a pole across the widest part of the open grand piano with three microphones on it pointed inches from the strings. I don't think that Waldrep uses an Earthworks "pole" like I showed in my example because the Earthworks poles come with their own microphones attached, and Waldrep's setup uses standard studio mikes. Nonetheless, they are arrayed in the manner shown in the Earthworks example.

George

Funny but your comment pretty much depicts the current sorry state of America and the political system in general.
With no apologies to Donald Trump supporters:

Donald Trump was visiting a primary school in Orlando and visited a grade four class. They were in the middle of a discussion related to words and their meanings.The teacher asked Mr. Trump if he would like to lead the discussion on the word 'tragedy'. So the confident Republican candidate asked the class for an example of a 'tragedy'

One little boy stood up and offered: "If my best friend, who lives on a farm, is playing in the field and a tractor runs him over and kills him, that would be a tragedy."

"No," said Trump, "that would be an accident."

A little girl raised her hand: "If a school bus carrying 50 children drove off a cliff, killing everyone, that would be a tragedy."

"I'm afraid not," explained Trump. "That's what we would call great loss."

The room went silent. No other child volunteered. Trump searched the room.

"Isn't there someone here who can give me an example of a tragedy?"

Finally at the back of the room, Little, unpredictable Johnny raised his hand. The teacher held her breath. In a quiet voice he offered,"If the plane carrying you was struck by a 'friendly fire' missile and blown to smithereens that would be a tragedy".

"Fantastic!" exclaimed Trump, "That's right. And can you tell me why that would be a tragedy?"

"Well," replied Johnny, "It has to be a tragedy because it sure as hell wouldn't be a great loss. And you can bet your sweet ass that it wouldn't be an accident either!"

"Relax, it's only hi-fi. There's never been a hi-fi emergency." - Roy Hall

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

That is quite an absurd statement. There are many very qualified opinions disagreeing with the 'need' to deploy a weapon that would wipe out civilian populations indiscriminately. You should probably just STFU and stop embarrassing yourself.

Speavler considering your locale and the statistical probability of your experience with projectiles landing (or being placed) in places they certainly should never be.... i suspect you are an expert on the subject...but if i were you (and Thank God i am not) you should probably be the one that STFU....

"That is quite an absurd statement. There are many very qualified opinions disagreeing with the 'need' to deploy a weapon that would wipe out civilian populations indiscriminately."

What exactly is a qualified opinion? If I had to guess, I would say that if someone agrees with your opinion, its qualified, and if someone doesn’t agree with you, its not qualified.

If there was a poll, I would say that deploying a weapon that would indiscriminately wipe out civilian populations should always be at least the second choice, but that's just me.

That I ask questions? I am more concerned about being stupid than looking like I might be.

If there was a poll, I would say that deploying a weapon that would indiscriminately wipe out civilian populations should always be at least the second choice, but that's just me.
Hindsight is always clearer than foresight. If one considers how the Japanese followed the samurai code of no surrender, as evidenced by the slaughter on Iwo Jima, Okinawa and the kamikaze attacks at the closing stages of the war in the Pacific, it is not hard to imagine that the estimates of one million casualties or more that would result from landing on the Japanese home islands were believed.

In that scenario at that time, it is not unreasonable to ask what other reasonable "first choice" should have been followed? Especially when it has been reported that, in his diary, Japanese leader Hiteki Tojo opposed surrender even after the two atomic bombs were dropped. Thankfully, no nuclear weapons have been used since that time and, in view of the proliferation of nuclear weapons, one can only hope that they never will be. Diary: Tojo resisted surrender till end - World news - Asia-Pacific | NBC News

"Relax, it's only hi-fi. There's never been a hi-fi emergency." - Roy Hall

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

Hindsight is always clearer than foresight. If one considers how the Japanese followed the samurai code of no surrender, as evidenced by the slaughter on Iwo Jima, Okinawa and the kamikaze attacks at the closing stages of the war in the Pacific, it is not hard to imagine that the estimates of one million casualties or more that would result in fighting on the Japanese home islands were believed. In that scenario at that time, it is not unreasonable to ask what other "first choice" was available? It is reported that, in his diary, Japanese leader Hiteki Tojo opposed surrender even after the two atomic bombs were dropped.Diary: Tojo resisted surrender till end - World news - Asia-Pacific | NBC News

Perhaps nuking an uninhabited island nearby would have been enough to demonstrate the destructive power. Or maybe not. We will never know.