IGNORED

Apology to Schiit team and everyone here

No one in Washington has said that any visit to Japan by President Obama would include an apology by him, for our actions in WWII, have they? Really?

Secy of State Kerry visited the Hiroshima memorial, the first US official to do so in a very long time, because demands by Japanese citizen groups for an apology have deterred it. Obama *may* visit the memorial; however, all indications are the reason for doing so is not an apology but to urge nuclear disarmament.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

I understand. But as far as I know, no apology has actually been given and none is planned. I think that's a true statement. All the haters of the current administration seem to look for any excuse they can find to project their unhappiness in the direction of the president And his cabinet. Not that hasn't happened when the liberal/conservative chairs were turned. Why are people bent on stirring up controversy when there is more to be gained by seeking consensus.

That I ask questions? I am more concerned about being stupid than looking like I might be.

I understand. But as far as I know, no apology has actually been given and none is planned. I think that's a true statement. All the haters of the current administration seem to look for any excuse they can find to project their unhappiness in the direction of the president And his cabinet. Not that hasn't happened when the liberal/conservative chairs were turned. Why are people bent on stirring up controversy when there is more to be gained by seeking consensus.

I actually have a theory about that.

I think the dominant societal metaphor used to be the automobile. You could argue about where to drive the car, but it wasn't like you'd leave any member of the family behind once the decision was finally made.

Now I think the dominant metaphor is the sports team. For me to win, you have to lose, so we can't all wind up at the same place. You pull for anyone on your team regardless of whether he's kind of a jerk, and hate everyone on the other team regardless of whether he's a nice guy.

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

That's a good analogy of what is happening but the goal of democracy is to promote the general welfare, not will of the strong.

There's a lot of noise being made out there by people who have a shallow and incomplete knowledge of history.

Ps: Do you think that Here in the US the decision about where to drive the car was made when we signed the Constitution? All other decisions were about what route we take to get there.

That I ask questions? I am more concerned about being stupid than looking like I might be.

Sometimes while reading this site I wonder... Does anyone here listen to music anymore?

I enjoy listening to audio of WWII documentaries.

I've not taken a side on whether it was necessary or not for atomic bombs on Hiroshima and Nagasaki ; whereas gmgraves has. However' date=' his reasoning, thus far, are shoddy, superficial, supplicating.[/font']

What argument can you present to convince me and others per your position ?

Actually, my comments about the atomic bombing of Japan in WWII were merely meant as an aside in the discussion of apologies. I.E. it was meant to show that people apologize for many reasons, and apologizing for the bomb is neither sincere nor appropriate, but merely politically correct on the part of that incompetent who passes as the leader of The USA these days. I did not mean for it to start a long sub-thread or a debate. In fact, I'm surprised by, and wouldn't have suspected that, anybody who knows anything of 20th Century history could possibly think that President Truman was wrong to OK the use of the bomb to end that horrid war. Anyway, let's get back to audio.

George

It IS all that we have. Unless the recording companies are going to start mass producing commercially available reels of flat transfer tapes and we all have the same tape player that they do! Everything else is a fabrication with some gear being closer to "real". All digital is an approximation of analog... by definition.

Or that more audiophiles start making their own recordings. It's easier and cheaper than ever these days, and the results can be utterly spectacular. For roughly US$400, one can buy a Zoom H6 which has 4 XLR phantom powered mike inputs and comes with both an X-Y pair of microphones and an MS stereo mike. It makes great-sounding 24-bit/96 KHz recordings that only need a bit of bass augmentation (using the Audacity program's bass boost feature) to be first rate (small capsule electret mikes of the type typically used by this kind of recorder tend to roll-off pretty fast below 100 Hz).

My experience is that once audiophiles start "rolling their own", they quickly become much better judges about the transparency of their playback systems.

George

Sometimes while reading this site I wonder... Does anyone here listen to music anymore?

Until we can figure out how to measure every possible aspect of music reproduction, it would be reckless and irresponsible to listen to music.

Would that help? Like the guy in the Bridge of Spies is asking. Should you all western colonists leave Australia in peace and give back the land to Aborigines? Or should you both looking this as part of delicate human history with respect and try to build better future for everyone? If I were Japanese that supported aggression to other countries but unfortunately my loves were killed by atomic bombs, would Obama apology give me comfort? He would only rub salt to old wounds and I would throw him with eggs if he dares to apologize. You can't treat apology lightly and we should always treat this as one of the darkness moment of human history and vowed never to repeat this.

My English is not that good, so what I wrote previously may misconstrue as offensive. If you could point out what I said is wrong, I will take it back with apology.

I think you wrote most eloquently. And what you said is, in my humble opinion, quite correct. Like I said, an apology is not in order here, for the USA has nothing to apologize for. But, a heartfelt sorrow that circumstances were such that it warranted the response of dropping the bomb (one wasn't enough. It took two of them, in fact before the Japanese surrendered) coupled with a vow to never let it happen again would be very appropriate.

George

Regarding the historical discussion: Secretary of State Kerry stopped short of apologizing for dropping the bomb, so he did not commit the (to some folks) unpardonable sin of saying we regret (regardless of one's view regarding its necessity and efficacy) the deaths of 140,000 people in the blink of an eye.

I think it is possible to understand that in terms of the war between the US and Japan, the Japanese started it, and that the Allies' victory in the Pacific was a much better result for the world than a Japanese victory would have been; and yet to feel whether or not use of atomic weapons resulted ultimately in fewer people killed and maimed on both sides, the killing of 140,000 men, women and children is a terrible, regrettable thing.

Now how the heck did this point come up in the middle of an audio forum? Apologies? OK...I guess.

+1

George

Or that more audiophiles start making their own recordings. It's easier and cheaper than ever these days, and the results can be utterly spectacular. For roughly US$400, one can buy a Zoom H6 which has 4 XLR phantom powered mike inputs and comes with both an X-Y pair of microphones and an MS stereo mike. It makes great-sounding 24-bit/96 KHz recordings that only need a bit of bass augmentation (using the Audacity program's bass boost feature) to be first rate (small capsule electret mikes of the type typically used by this kind of recorder tend to roll-off pretty fast below 100 Hz).

My experience is that once audiophiles start "rolling their own", they quickly become much better judges about the transparency of their playback systems.

For that to be possible they'd need "transparent" recording systems.

R

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

No they didn't. Hitler moved on Czechoslovakia in March 1939 & war was declared on Germany by the UK and France in Septermber as I recall. Japan entered the fray in 1940.

CONTEXT! The Japanese started WWII as far as the USA was concerned. It's the US-Japanese theater of war we were discussing here, not Hitler!

Japan "entered the fray" as you put it in 1931 when they invaded Manchuria, China. If you meant the moment the Japanese became part of the Axis powers, you are right in your date of 1940. That is when the Tripartite Pact between Germany, Italy, and Japan was signed. But Japan, by that time, had already made a Manchuria into a "colony" and renamed it Manchuko, and in 1937 had expanded their aggression to the rest of China and by December of that year, had carried out the infamous and horrific "Rape of Nanking". So, they were "in the fray" long before 1940!

George

Actually, my comments about the atomic bombing of Japan in WWII were merely meant as an aside in the discussion of apologies. I.E. it was meant to show that people apologize for many reasons, and apologizing for the bomb is neither sincere nor appropriate, but merely politically correct on the part of that incompetent who passes as the leader of The USA these days. I did not mean for it to start a long sub-thread or a debate. In fact, I'm surprised by, and wouldn't have suspected that, anybody who knows anything of 20th Century history could possibly think that President Truman was wrong to OK the use of the bomb to end that horrid war. Anyway, let's get back to audio.

You got my vote at the convention.

Until we can figure out how to measure every possible aspect of music reproduction, it would be reckless and irresponsible to listen to music.
IMO, the best comment in the thread. LOL

"Relax, it's only hi-fi. There's never been a hi-fi emergency." - Roy Hall

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

For that to be possible they'd need "transparent" recording systems.

R

Since there is no such thing as a "transparent" recording system, I'd say that you were incorrect that such a system is required. A decent recording system such as the one I outlined above is adequate for the task. The results are transparent enough in the large sense of the term and are augmented by the fact that the audiophile was actually there, in the venue, with the musicians, making the recording. IOW, the recording is no longer the "unknown" quantity when judging the transparency of the playback system.

George

fact, I'm surprised by, and wouldn't have suspected that, anybody who knows anything of 20th Century history could possibly think that President Truman was wrong to OK the use of the bomb to end that horrid war.

That is quite an absurd statement. There are many very qualified opinions disagreeing with the 'need' to deploy a weapon that would wipe out civilian populations indiscriminately. You should probably just STFU and stop embarrassing yourself.

Since there is no such thing as a "transparent" recording system, I'd say that you were incorrect that such a system is required. A decent recording system such as the one I outlined above is adequate for the task. The results are transparent enough in the large sense of the term and are augmented by the fact that the audiophile was actually there, in the venue, with the musicians, making the recording. IOW, the recording is no longer the "unknown" quantity when judging the transparency of the playback system.

I was present when they recorded this video:

It could be the mic'ing but in my opinion the piano stands out more than what I remember listening in that hall...

It's not one of my usual testing tracks (the SACD was probably recorded during the previous or subsequent days).

R

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

That is quite an absurd statement. There are many very qualified opinions disagreeing with the 'need' to deploy a weapon that would wipe out civilian populations indiscriminately. You should probably just STFU and stop embarrassing yourself.

Another Monday morning QB. There was probably a more civil way for Moses to get back at the Pharaoh and the Egyptians but quite frankly I don't really give a rats rear end nor do I care to waste my time in the retrospectoscope as humans never learn so why bother.

Look at this thread. Another thread denigrating into a morass of crap just because some poor guy apologized for what he said.

I was present when they recorded this video:

It could be the mic'ing but in my opinion the piano stands out more than what I remember listening in that hall...

It's not one of my usual testing tracks (the SACD was probably recorded during the previous or subsequent days).

R

They have the mic shoved right in the piano. They should have pulled it out a few feet to give a more natural presentation.

John Withem

Proprietor

JW Audio.

http://www.jwaudio.net/default.html

Look at this thread. Another thread denigrating into a morass of crap just because some poor guy apologized for what he said.
We have disagreed on other matters in the past, but I'm with you 100% on this one. :)

"Relax, it's only hi-fi. There's never been a hi-fi emergency." - Roy Hall

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

They have the mic shoved right in the piano. They should have pulled it out a few feet to give a more natural presentation.

This is a reason why audiophiles should try to make their own recordings - to give them an appreciation of the "unnatural acts" required when setting mic positions to give the same "natural" sound as they heard in the venue.

"People hear what they see." - Doris Day

The forum would be a much better place if everyone were less convinced of how right they were.