Sign in to follow this  
occamsrazor

Auralic Altair DAC/Streamer

Rate this topic

Hi folks,

The Altair seems to tick of all boxes for me, but first I would like to ask you eminent people following questions:

How to play Spotify from Android phone and Windows 10 to the Altair? I would prefer another option than Bluetooth....

How is the headphone amp? Im not using the headphones so much, but still interested to hear your opinion.

Boxes left unticked would be support for Android or Windows. Likely you could use in DNLA mode (Minimserver + Bubble UPnP) to achieve it though I have not tried. I actually bought a used iPad Mini just to use as a remote control for my Altair.

Tidal is fully integrated with their Lightning DS interface (for iPhone/iPad). How about using Tidal as your service instead? I was please to receive a free 3 month subscription to Tidal with my Altair purchase. You can also stream the Masters (MQA) files at 24bit thru their Lightning DS interface.

Hmmm.... I been thinking about Tidal for some time. Looks like it's a better streaming option than Spotify in many ways. Too bad I will loose all my playlists in Spotify☺

But I can stream my FLAC files from my computer to the Altair with JRiver, right?

Anybody tried it with headphones? I have AKG KM550MKlI headphones.

Hmmm.... I been thinking about Tidal for some time. Looks like it's a better streaming option than Spotify in many ways. Too bad I will loose all my playlists in Spotify☺

But I can stream my FLAC files from my computer to the Altair with JRiver, right?

Anybody tried it with headphones? I have AKG KM550MKlI headphones.

You can transfer spotify playlists to tidal and with any other streaming services. Just google it, I forget the particular website I used but it is more than possible and pretty easy.

RIG:  MBP - Chord Qutest Nord SE NC500 MKII | Paradigm Sig S6 Cables:  Blue Jeans Canare LV-61S Canare 4S11 Biwire Lifatec optical

Thanks guys, but it seems like the Altair is not for me.

A friend recommended the NAIM NAC 172 XS, its more expensive but he claims it will definitely tick all my boxes☺

More out of curiosity then anything else, but has anyone opened up an Altair and installed their own SSD as opposed to using an external USB or network drive?

I understand it voids the warrantee if you don't have a dealer do it, but it's hard to believe it would be all that difficult.

Thanks,

--I.M.

I have done it with permission of AURALIC. Took me about 20 minutes.

There is an adapter kit that takes the IDE style power connector and converts it to SATA power as well as a SATA connector. You could also do this with generic Computer adapters. There is a metal shield that encases the hard drive area and the kit also has the correct screws to mont the hard drive, but again nothing extraordinary that you couldn't use standard computer screws for.

I love using the internal hard drive. Everything is dead quiet with a total black background. The only real downfall is it takes forever to transfer files wirelessly.

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile

Auralic has been exemplary in consistently improving the performance of their components - free of charge. I've had my Aries for 2 years and today it works and sounds substantially better than it did when I purchased it.

To specifically answer your question: I would estimate that what you fear would take a very long time.

Sent from my iPad using Computer Audiophile

With the exception of the Auralic Vega!

Sent from my iPad using Computer Audiophile

Main System
Mark Levinson 585 Integrated Amplifier, PS Audio Directstream DAC, PS Audio Directstream Memory Player, Auralic Altair Music Streamer, PS Audio P3 Power Plant, Focal Sopra 1 Speakers, Definitive Technology PF15TL Subwoofer, Audioquest CV-8 Speaker Cables, Morrow Audio XLR Interconnects, PS Audio Statement Power Cords

Office System
Edge i3 Integrated Amplifier, Job 225 Amplifier, Sony HAPZ1ES Digital Audio Player, Auralic Aires Mini Music Streamer w/ 1TB SSD, Auralic Vega DAC, McIntosh MR7803 Tuner, KEF LS50 Speakers, Audioquest, CV-8 Speaker Cables

I have done it with permission of AURALIC. Took me about 20 minutes.

There is an adapter kit that takes the IDE style power connector and converts it to SATA power as well as a SATA connector. You could also do this with generic Computer adapters. There is a metal shield that encases the hard drive area and the kit also has the correct screws to mont the hard drive, but again nothing extraordinary that you couldn't use standard computer screws for.

I love using the internal hard drive. Everything is dead quiet with a total black background. The only real downfall is it takes forever to transfer files wirelessly.

Thanks for the quick reply.

Was the metal shield part of the kit or already there? The disk didn't require formatting or any special initialization before installation?

Thanks again!

Thanks for the quick reply.

Was the metal shield part of the kit or already there? The disk didn't require formatting or any special initialization before installation?

Thanks again!

The metal box is part of the Altair.

The drive "initializes" for several minutes upon first start up. For me, the initializing phase was taking too long and I was impatient after 1/2 hour and re-booted the Altair. I also had to re-boot my router/PC network in order for my Windows 10 PC to see (what it called) ARIES-xxxxxx on my network. After all that I was able to treat the Altair's SSD just like any other drive, adding folders and dragging files. 500 GB of files took a few hours to transfer.

I am looking at the Altair because it is a streaming DAC that is a Roon Endpoint. I do not have any IOS devices. Does that rule out the Altair because the initial setup has to be done using IOS?

21 minutes ago, Curves said:

I am looking at the Altair because it is a streaming DAC that is a Roon Endpoint. I do not have any IOS devices. Does that rule out the Altair because the initial setup has to be done using IOS?

There may be hope. The next version of the firmware, 5.0 - assuming it's the same platform for the Altair as the Aries - introduces a web UI. It's currently available as a beta, but should go GA in the next few weeks.

However, you should check with Auralic to see if this UI covers the initial setup phase, and more generally, if they envision and plan to support the use case of "no iOS app." I would hope so.

Finally, at this point, controls seem to be scattered between the iOS app and the web UI. This will hopefully get straightened out too.

Got the Altair. Well built and great sound! I've transferred my itunes library to a NAS. Does anyone know how to stream my itunes playlists???? The Lightning DS App wont do it.

Goldenear Triton 1 - Auralic Altair - P S Audio M-700’s
Tellurium Q, Lessloss & Supra cables

26 minutes ago, Abide68 said:

Got the Altair. Well built and great sound! I've transferred my itunes library to a NAS. Does anyone know how to stream my itunes playlists???? The Lightning DS App wont do it.

You should be able to stream iTunes via airplay if you´re fine with that.

http://support.auralic.com/hc/en-us/articles/206084338-How-to-use-Airplay-through-Lightning-DS-

Edited by Cornan

Auralic Aries Mini, Ariston RD40 & Mytek Brooklyn DAC system

with Fostex TH900 & Gibson Les Paul 8 reference monitors

For detailed info see Audio System and About Me

Those are my principles, and if you don't like them...well, I have others. Graucho Marx

Been using the Altair for about 3 weeks now and have some comments and experiences to share:

- I tried streaming Spotify via Bluetooth and whoa, that sound was awful and gain or volume was really low.  Switched back to Tidal streaming through Lightening DS and a completely different experience.  I am guessing Airplay will be about the same as bluetooth but no impetus to try.

- One thing I do notice is that when switching from 16 bit to 24 bit tracks, there is a loud "scratchy" sound but going back down to 16 bit tracks  from 24 bit is fine.  Hopefully firmware 5 will fix that.

- My router rebooted due to power outage and when I started up the Altair after that, it got stuck  in a "Starting..." loop so I eventually after about 30 minutes decided to reset the configuration and start all over which forced me to reset the network wifi information and this was the fix.

- Was using my iPhone for the Lightening DS app.  So I got a phone call which I took, so my music came off.  So after my phone conversation I hung up and without looking pressed play on my Altair remote and WHAMMO my music came blasting on at volume 100, nearly knocked me off my seat, luckily my class a amp is only 35 WPC.  This is something I did twice in the same day before I realized what was happening suffice to say I know longer leave Lightening running on my phone as the Altair can run fine with out it the app running.

- I love the one box streaming solution and am looking forward to their faux-MQA handling.  I love having balanced analog outputs on the one box.  My stereo setup has never been so clean as no need for USB and all its widgets etc. I am sold on these streaming appliances.

RIG:  MBP - Chord Qutest Nord SE NC500 MKII | Paradigm Sig S6 Cables:  Blue Jeans Canare LV-61S Canare 4S11 Biwire Lifatec optical

On 5/7/2017 at 3:41 PM, photonman said:

Been using the Altair for about 3 weeks now and have some comments and experiences to share:

- I tried streaming Spotify via Bluetooth and whoa, that sound was awful and gain or volume was really low.  Switched back to Tidal streaming through Lightening DS and a completely different experience.  I am guessing Airplay will be about the same as bluetooth but no impetus to try.

- One thing I do notice is that when switching from 16 bit to 24 bit tracks, there is a loud "scratchy" sound but going back down to 16 bit tracks  from 24 bit is fine.  Hopefully firmware 5 will fix that.

- My router rebooted due to power outage and when I started up the Altair after that, it got stuck  in a "Starting..." loop so I eventually after about 30 minutes decided to reset the configuration and start all over which forced me to reset the network wifi information and this was the fix.

- Was using my iPhone for the Lightening DS app.  So I got a phone call which I took, so my music came off.  So after my phone conversation I hung up and without looking pressed play on my Altair remote and WHAMMO my music came blasting on at volume 100, nearly knocked me off my seat, luckily my class a amp is only 35 WPC.  This is something I did twice in the same day before I realized what was happening suffice to say I know longer leave Lightening running on my phone as the Altair can run fine with out it the app running.

- I love the one box streaming solution and am looking forward to their faux-MQA handling.  I love having balanced analog outputs on the one box.  My stereo setup has never been so clean as no need for USB and all its widgets etc. I am sold on these streaming appliances.

photonman, may I suggest you Please contact AURALiC support and express your issues?

Global Tech Support =  [email protected]

Especially the loud "scratchy" sound, I have experienced the same issue with two different units! It is intermittent but absolutely there. AURALiC actually exchanged my Altair so they could test it after my complaints.

I performed detailed experiments to pin down the occurrence, hoping to help them find a cause because at first they could not seem to reproduce it.  After I pointed out exactly how to make the anomaly occur, they admitted the issue and stated " there are maybe 4 of you guys out of the whole world wide market taking issue with the sample rate click".

I was told the sound is due to clock changes between 44.1 and 48 Hz frequencies and their multipliers (96 Hz, 192 Hz). They tell me it occurs because there is no hardware muting circuit for clock changes, however they may be able to minimize the problem thru firmware.

So again, please contact them so that there are more voices asking for relief from the annoying tick/pop/static!  I absolutely LOVE the Altair's sound quality, one-box ease of use, and overall performance.  But I cringe every time I listen to a variety playlist with multiple sampling frequencies because I know that dreaded tick may pop out.  If it weren't for this one issue I'd give the Altair a100% Five Star rating!

20 minutes ago, cordobaman said:

photonman, may I suggest you Please contact AURALiC support and express your issues?

Global Tech Support =  [email protected]

Well now there is five of us in the world wide market :) I have submitted my issues.

The one issue that's really a deal breaker for me is the reset that you have to do when you have to reboot your wifi...

They know about that already...

Happiness is wanting what you have.

7 minutes ago, karmanfamily said:

The one issue that's really a deal breaker for me is the reset that you have to do when you have to reboot your wifi...

They know about that already...

ha, did not realize they know about that one but for me not a big deal, just the state of technology and I do not reboot my router normally, it was just a power outage anomaly.   But what did suck was wondering what the heck was going on with my unit for over 30 minutes, I was getting a little nervous that the OS kernel was hosed up and so I took a risk and started exploring the menu.

Edited by photonman

New Lightning Server 5.0 is working fine on my Altair. They've addressed the library sorting issue by allowing "the" and "A" to be ignored for Artist, Album, or song. The web interface to choose options is nice. Also better support for TIDAL/MQA allowing native sampling frequency (no more limit to 44.1/48).  Sound a little different somehow, will take some listening time to pinpoint...

On 6/9/2017 at 6:10 PM, cordobaman said:

New Lightning Server 5.0 is working fine on my Altair. They've addressed the library sorting issue by allowing "the" and "A" to be ignored for Artist, Album, or song. The web interface to choose options is nice. Also better support for TIDAL/MQA allowing native sampling frequency (no more limit to 44.1/48).  Sound a little different somehow, will take some listening time to pinpoint...

At the risk of coming across as a n00b, can someone please point me to a tutorial on this web interface? How do I get to it etc.? I can't easily find it on the auralic website...

Thanks

On 6/11/2017 at 2:29 AM, pvanosta said:

At the risk of coming across as a n00b, can someone please point me to a tutorial on this web interface? How do I get to it etc.? I can't easily find it on the auralic website...

Thanks

Simply enter your Altair's IP address into a browser address bar and it takes you there.

To get the IP address on a Windows machine: find your Altair on the network, right-click, properties.

2 hours ago, cordobaman said:

Simply enter your Altair's IP address into a browser address bar and it takes you there.

To get the IP address on a Windows machine: find your Altair on the network, right-click, properties.

Thanks. That worked a treat.

Has anyone played with the 'Scheduled Rescan' feature in the Library settings of the web interface?

Assuming you use an Ipad to browse and access your library (like I do) and you schedule a daily rescan at 1.00 am for instance. What happens on your Ipad during the night if the App is not open ('open' means the Ipad would be on and lit as the app does not let it go to sleep)? What do you see on the Ipad the next morning if you imported new tracks the day before the nightly refresh?

I'm only asking because this would be a very useful feature for me, IF the Ipad data is refreshed. If I still have to run a rescan manually on my Ipad to make the new albums show up the next day, the feature is relatively useless to me at least.