IGNORED

Auralic Altair DAC/Streamer

I was about to pull the trigger on an Aries unit I saw this thread. Now I'm on the fence again!

Den: Kef LS50 Wireless, Velodyne SPL1200, Lumin D1, Cayin SCD50T, Jolida D9, Technics 1200, Denon DL160, Wireworld Eclipse Silver 7 IC

Livingroom: T+A PA1530 r Integrated Amplifier, Innous Zen MKIII, L.K.S audio MH Da004, Tyler Acoustics Highland H2, High Fidelity Reveal IC, Wireworld Eclipse Silver 8 Speaker cable. 

My VEGA's SQ was all over the place for the first few weeks, other's reported the same, then it went great and stayed great (lush, not dry at all)... Altair might be the same?

Source:

*Aurender N100 (no internal disk : LAN optically isolated via FMC with *LPS) > DIY 5cm USB link (5v rail removed / ground lift switch - split for *LPS) > Intona Industrial (injected *LPS / internally shielded with copper tape) > DIY 5cm USB link (5v rail removed / ground lift switch) > W4S Recovery (*LPS) > DIY 2cm USB adaptor (5v rail removed / ground lift switch) > *Auralic VEGA (EXACT : balanced)

Control:

*Jeff Rowland CAPRI S2 (balanced)

Playback:

2 x Revel B15a subs (balanced) > ATC SCM 50 ASL (balanced - 80Hz HPF from subs)

Misc:

*Via Power Inspired AG1500 AC Regenerator

LPS: 3 x Swagman Lab Audiophile Signature Edition (W4S, Intona & FMC)

Storage: QNAP TS-253Pro 2x 3Tb, 8Gb RAM

Cables: DIY heavy gauge solid silver (balanced)

Mains: dedicated distribution board with 5 x 2 socket ring mains, all mains cables: Mark Grant Black Series DSP 2.5 Dual Screen

I have really been enjoying my Altair, still getting to know Lightning DS. I do have a question for other owners...I am experiencing a tick/click in between songs when playing random and bitrate changes? It is noticeable and consistent for me. I asked Auralic support and they suggested increasing delay (buffer) time, which has not solved the problem. Anyone else?

I have been working with Auralic support to get to the bottom of my intermittent ticking problem when transitioning between songs of different bitrate, mostly with 96 kHz to others. Seems after many emails and suggestions, Auralic cannot explain the issue and suggested I have my Altair exchanged. So if I may ask before I do the return...has anyone else experienced this issue?

Been researching the Altair DAC. It really seems to have a lot a bang for the buck in it's price range. I want use it exclusively to play DSD files with an on board SSD. They indicated that new firmware is coming this month to allow for DSD upsampling. Has anyone compared the SQ of the Altair against the PS Audio DirectStream DAC or Junior? Hard to justify the extra cost of the PS Audio DAC.

Dsd upsampling? Please explain.thanks

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD using Computer Audiophile mobile app

Most of the sites that are promoting the Altair have this blurb....

"Future features planned include DSD Upsampling, Room Acoustic Treatment and MQA support. All these features can be delivered through automatic online updates without user’s attention."

I contacted Auralic and asked when it was going become available they said "Hopefully this month"

Most of the sites that are promoting the Altair have this blurb....

"Future features planned include DSD Upsampling, Room Acoustic Treatment and MQA support. All these features can be delivered through automatic online updates without user’s attention."

I contacted Auralic and asked when it was going become available they said "Hopefully this month"

So...to understand...pcm up sampled to dsd 64 or native dsd 64 to 128 or higher?

Thanks

Like what the sony does? Takes the file and upsamples it for better sound?

Den: Kef LS50 Wireless, Velodyne SPL1200, Lumin D1, Cayin SCD50T, Jolida D9, Technics 1200, Denon DL160, Wireworld Eclipse Silver 7 IC

Livingroom: T+A PA1530 r Integrated Amplifier, Innous Zen MKIII, L.K.S audio MH Da004, Tyler Acoustics Highland H2, High Fidelity Reveal IC, Wireworld Eclipse Silver 8 Speaker cable. 

• 1 month later...
I have really been enjoying my Altair, still getting to know Lightning DS. I do have a question for other owners...I am experiencing a tick/click in between songs when playing random and bitrate changes? It is noticeable and consistent for me. I asked Auralic support and they suggested increasing delay (buffer) time, which has not solved the problem. Anyone else?
I have been working with Auralic support to get to the bottom of my intermittent ticking problem when transitioning between songs of different bitrate, mostly with 96 kHz to others. Seems after many emails and suggestions, Auralic cannot explain the issue and suggested I have my Altair exchanged. So if I may ask before I do the return...has anyone else experienced this issue?

First off, I want to extend my appreciation for AURALiC's support to date, especially the personal attention. I returned my Altair to my dealer HiFi Heaven (also recommended), and HiFi Heaven WAS able to reproduce the issue.

I was sent a new/replacement and Unfortunately this one behaves exactly the same as the original. The intermittent tick/pop absolutely occurs at random, in random channels, when transitioning from 24/96 to any other bit/frequency. Again it is -very intermittent- but quite obvious when it occurs.

Has no one else experienced this issue??

I am still working with AURALiC to see what can be done. They are suggesting that it's possibly due to the lack of a muting circuit during clock changes...may possibly look into reducing with a firmware update.

Aside from this I absolutely love the sound quality and operation of the Altair.

The intermittent tick/pop absolutely occurs at random, in random channels, when transitioning from 24/96 to any other bit/frequency. Again it is -very intermittent- but quite obvious when it occurs.

Has no one else experienced this issue??

The "ticking" issue at track changes is neither new, nor related to Auralic at all. I've been fighting it on DSD rips forever. Initially, it was thought it was a bug in the ripping software, and it probably is, in many ripping tools, and not just for DSD.

Here are the scenarios that can cause "ticks" at track changes:

1. change in sample rate - for example 24/96 to 16/44.1, but really any different rate
  2. level difference between the end of one track, and beginning of next.
    • Remember, audio stored on a disc (CD, BD, SACD, DVD-A) is in a single file, and the player implements track changes based on a TOC (table of contents).
    • Ripping produces separate files per track. I think many ripping programs do not do a perfect job splitting, and leave tiny differences in level between the end of one track and beginning of the next

[*]On DSD (N/a in your case), the DAC may drop and reacquire DoP (DSD over PCM)

[*]Finally, this appears to be DAC dependent. Some DACs are incredibly sensitive, others completely resilient, and most are in between.

In this case, since the Altair is a DAC too, perhaps Auralic can do something in the DAC to be more resilient.

The "ticking" issue at track changes is neither new, nor related to Auralic at all. I've been fighting it on DSD rips forever. Initially, it was thought it was a bug in the ripping software, and it probably is, in many ripping tools, and not just for DSD.

Here are the scenarios that can cause "ticks" at track changes:

1. change in sample rate - for example 24/96 to 16/44.1, but really any different rate
  2. level difference between the end of one track, and beginning of next.
    • Remember, audio stored on a disc (CD, BD, SACD, DVD-A) is in a single file, and the player implements track changes based on a TOC (table of contents).
    • Ripping produces separate files per track. I think many ripping programs do not do a perfect job splitting, and leave tiny differences in level between the end of one track and beginning of the next

[*]On DSD (N/a in your case), the DAC may drop and reacquire DoP (DSD over PCM)

[*]Finally, this appears to be DAC dependent. Some DACs are incredibly sensitive, others completely resilient, and most are in between.

In this case, since the Altair is a DAC too, perhaps Auralic can do something in the DAC to be more resilient.

For non-DSD files I have to disagree with you. The OP should not be getting ticks/pops between tracks. This is not normal. What you state above is all true except with gapless playback it is not relevant. To be honest, you shouldn't get ticks when sample rate changes between tracks. In my system, I only get ticks between tracks with DSD files, which is a known issue, with PCM files I get nothing but silence. As far as the Altair goes, I have not heard of this problem with any Auralic products before.

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile

Main System: [Synology DS216, Rpi-4b LMS (pCP)], Holo Audio Red, Ayre QX-5 Twenty, Ayre KX-5 Twenty, Ayre VX-5 Twenty, Revel Ultima Studio2, Iconoclast speaker cables & interconnects, RealTraps acoustic treatments

Living Room: Sonore ultraRendu, Ayre QB-9DSD, Simaudio MOON 340iX, B&W 802 Diamond

For non-DSD files I have to disagree with you. The OP should not be getting ticks/pops between tracks. This is not normal. What you state above is all true except with gapless playback it is not relevant. To be honest, you shouldn't get ticks when sample rate changes between tracks. In my system, I only get ticks between tracks with DSD files, which is a known issue, with PCM files I get nothing but silence. As far as the Altair goes, I have not heard of this problem with any Auralic products before.

I speak from direct experience with my chain, which is Aries Mini > Ayre Codex. I too thought the issue was with DSD only, but have since heard it on PCM too. Less often, but it does happen.

This topic comes up periodically on CA, if you search back. One thing I have noticed is that music I've bought from download sites like HDTracks, MusicDirect, eClassical, etc. seems to be completely tick-free. It could be that they are using professional tools, that do a better job at track boundaries.

Also, you may just be lucky not to hear it with your specific gear. It really does seem to be very dependent on the DAC.

What you state above is all true except with gapless playback it is not relevant.

Gapless playback has nothing to do with it. If imprecise editing at the track boundary produces a difference in signal level (amplitude) between the end of track n and the beginning of track n+1, then even with gapless playback, it'll manifest as a tick.

I speak from direct experience with my chain, which is Aries Mini > Ayre Codex. I too thought the issue was with DSD only, but have since heard it on PCM too. Less often, but it does happen.

This topic comes up periodically on CA, if you search back. One thing I have noticed is that music I've bought from download sites like HDTracks, MusicDirect, eClassical, etc. seems to be completely tick-free. It could be that they are using professional tools, that do a better job at track boundaries.

Also, you may just be lucky not to hear it with your specific gear. It really does seem to be very dependent on the DAC.

My Altair(s) have no problems playing DSD files (except for MJ's Billy Jean...which skips but that seems to be a known issue). It is when transitioning PCM files from 24/96 to/from any other br/freq. Actually occurs with legit HDTracks downloads more often than my DVD-A rips.

I have the Altair connected in WiFi mode (also tried ethernet-connected), streaming flac and dsf files, sourced from various download sites plus CD, SACD, and DVD-A rips, all stored on 2TB internal hard drive housed in Windows 10 PC. Files are accessed using Lightning Server (SMB) and Lightning DS software, controlled from an iPad mini or an iPhone 7 running IOS10. The problem also occurs with files on a USB thumb drive or external hard drive inserted into the USB port on the rear of the Altair. All items have latest firmware/software versions. I tried using headphones only, the amplifier was switched off, absolutely still occurs.

Note that my previous system was a Marantz SR6009 AVR, and streaming the same files on the same network did not exhibit the tick/pops.

Originally the electrical power was a shared circuit. As an attempt to eliminate interference/noise problems I ran a dedicated circuit direct from the main panel. Only the Altair and the amplifier are on that circuit. Voltage reads 124 VAC and a quality hospital-grade outlet is used. I also tried a different hospital-grade power cables, no difference.

To test, I loaded 4 songs into queue, two were 16/44.1 and two were 24/96. I then switched between the different files, alternating bitrate each time. I could hear a very subtle (acceptable?) tick every time. However every 10 or so the louder/annoying tick/pop DID occur, it was quite obvious. And definitely was in single/random channels.

I am game for any other ideas or suggestions...please keep them coming!

I have been enjoying DS TestFlight v4.1 and the new Tidal Master support. Thanks to AURALiC for incorporating MQA into the software! (even with the cap of 48 Hz sampling it sounds very good)

HOWEVER, I get the intermittent tick/pop while streaming Tidal and changing between HiFi 16 bit and Master 24 bit...yes with Tidal too!

My testing concludes:

- The tick/pop occurs during the change from 16 bit to 24 bit, regardless of sampling frequency.

- Not related to my file storage, happens with networked SMB/NAS, direct-connected external HD, flash drive, or thu Tidal.

- Not related to connected equipment, occurs with thru headphones (with my amplifier turned off).

The tick/pop is easy to reproduce. I find it unlikely that you folks couldn't reproduce it by switching between 16 bit and 24 bit songs over and over...sometimes it takes 10-20 song changes before it occurs but when it does it is quite obvious. Would some of you volunteer to try?

Anxious to hear responses from the CA Altair owners!

I have been enjoying DS TestFlight v4.1 and the new Tidal Master support. Thanks to AURALiC for incorporating MQA into the software! (even with the cap of 48 Hz sampling it sounds very good)

HOWEVER, I get the intermittent tick/pop while streaming Tidal and changing between HiFi 16 bit and Master 24 bit...yes with Tidal too!

My testing concludes:

- The tick/pop occurs during the change from 16 bit to 24 bit, regardless of sampling frequency.

- Not related to my file storage, happens with networked SMB/NAS, direct-connected external HD, flash drive, or thu Tidal.

- Not related to connected equipment, occurs with thru headphones (with my amplifier turned off).

The tick/pop is easy to reproduce. I find it unlikely that you folks couldn't reproduce it by switching between 16 bit and 24 bit songs over and over...sometimes it takes 10-20 song changes before it occurs but when it does it is quite obvious. Would some of you volunteer to try?

Anxious to hear responses from the CA Altair owners!

What is and how does one get Test Flight? My Altair is on 4.1, no MQA decoding.

What is and how does one get Test Flight? My Altair is on 4.1, no MQA decoding.

TestFlight is an app in the Apple store that is a conduit for private testing of other apps. To get the Lightning DS betas to test, you apply to be a tester on AURALiC's website in the Lightning DS section. If they grant your request they send a link to the DS beta app.

TestFlight is an app in the Apple store that is a conduit for private testing of other apps. To get the Lightning DS betas to test, you apply to be a tester on AURALiC's website in the Lightning DS section. If they grant your request they send a link to the DS beta app.

Excellent! I'll apply and see what happens!

Sent from my iPad using Computer Audiophile

• 3 weeks later...

I have just ordered an Altair. I am tired of multiple boxes, power supplies, cables and cords, usb this or that. I have rationalized in my mind that with the state of digital equipment and music, I am personally at the point of diminishing returns and an all-in-one of decent quality sounds very appealing to me now.

The only thing that would concern me, at what point would this device not be able to communicate with the streaming services because it cannot be updated or upgraded anymore and the hardware is not compatible with the new software programs needed, maybe a non-issue.

RIG:  iFi Zen Stream - Benchmark DAC3 L - LA4  AHB2 | Paradigm Sig S6 Cables:  anything available

Hi folks,

The Altair seems to tick of all boxes for me, but first I would like to ask you eminent people following questions:

How to play Spotify from Android phone and Windows 10 to the Altair? I would prefer another option than Bluetooth....

How is the headphone amp? Im not using the headphones so much, but still interested to hear your opinion.

I have just ordered an Altair. I am tired of multiple boxes, power supplies, cables and cords, usb this or that. I have rationalized in my mind that with the state of digital equipment and music, I am personally at the point of diminishing returns and an all-in-one of decent quality sounds very appealing to me now.

The only thing that would concern me, at what point would this device not be able to communicate with the streaming services because it cannot be updated or upgraded anymore and the hardware is not compatible with the new software programs needed, maybe a non-issue.

Auralic has been exemplary in consistently improving the performance of their components - free of charge. I've had my Aries for 2 years and today it works and sounds substantially better than it did when I purchased it.

To specifically answer your question: I would estimate that what you fear would take a very long time.

Sent from my iPad using Computer Audiophile