IGNORED

Auralic Altair DAC/Streamer

If Auralic were to do what other competing players do - and display the sampling rate on the screen of the unit the way that we know that it can (because it does so in AirPlay mode as well as when it's in pure DAC mode), then this would help users verify that the device was indeed playing an unadulterated file that didn't get transcoded somehow, and also help us all know, at a glance, what kind of file we were listening to without a lot of work.

I do not know if this will help you...but I am using BubbleDS Next as a control point on Android instead of LigthningDS (which I only use for updates, settings and setup). Not only do I think it sounds better than LightningDS (atleast with Tidal as source)...but it also displays the sampling rate. You should give it a try if you have an Android device laying around. It is free to try (15 songs playlist limit I think it was) and cheap to buy.

🎛️  Audio System  

• 1 month later...
Dear sirs, but...to set the first time an Altair does I need an Ipad correct?Is it ok an Ipad mini too from 2013? After can I manage it by my iMac or I need always the iPad to go auralic app? Thanks

LigthningDS (which AFAIK is the same on Auralic Aries) needs the Lightning iOS app for setup and settings. You can use other control apps for playing music if you like. I use both BubbleDS Next and BubbleUPnP on android. There is other suggestions on Auralic support page.

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile

🎛️  Audio System  

• 5 months later...
26 minutes ago, Abide68 said:

Got the Altair. Well built and great sound! I've transferred my itunes library to a NAS. Does anyone know how to stream my itunes playlists???? The Lightning DS App wont do it.

You should be able to stream iTunes via airplay if you´re fine with that.

http://support.auralic.com/hc/en-us/articles/206084338-How-to-use-Airplay-through-Lightning-DS-

🎛️  Audio System  

• 3 months later...
10 hours ago, Mike Pinkerton said:

Returned my brand new Altair today after less than a week. Streaming module kept crashing every 5-10 minutes requiring switching inputs for it to start working again. Auralic support told me to just go ahead and return it and didn't bother to diagnose it at all. My RaspPi has no such problems. I'm pretty disappointed. 

Looking into the Mytek Brooklyn to replace it (though I'll have to keep using the Pi). 

Unlucky! :(

I was considering Altair when I wanted to change my Pioneer U-05 DAC since I have been using the Aries Mini for years without any major issues. I finally pulled the plug with the Brooklyn DAC together with Aries Mini and have´nt looked back since. 

A strong recommendation for Aries is to use a wireless adapter or wireless bridge into a network switch pre the Aries. I had some minor drop-outs before I did the change. Now both the SQ and the reliability of LightningDS are top notch. Not had a single problem during the last year or so.

🎛️  Audio System