IGNORED

Which option of music

Your approach sounds really interesting, when you say control point are you using an Android device to stream Tidal to CCA? And how does it compare to same FLAC file from your NAS? TIA

It probably sounds OK. I do something similar with my Android. Files are either kept on the tablet using a micro SD card or accessed wireless from a HD. The tablet is the transport and I use Neutron music player because it plays just about any type of file. I connect it to a DAC with a USB cable. Overall, it sounds pretty good. Its hard to say for sure, but I think running the tablet off the battery instead of plugging it in makes a nice difference. The problem is that if I plug it in, I have to use the tablets internal DAC. That said, it sounds way better than an iPod.

Yes, BubbleUPnP app on my Moto X. Most of the streaming services have their own apps that also support casting to CCA.

Tidal though needs a workaround, detailed here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfygXym0Ypw.

SQ is the same, honestly I'm not sure I'd be able to pick in a DBT always. But if I had to choose, I'd pick the local FLAC content over Tidal, entirely subjective, but I find a tad bit more detail in my FLAC rips over Tidal. But its very subtle and only reserved for music I'm extremely familiar with and have heard 100s of times, but its easy to pick the soft cymbals on a Dire Straits album on my rips, have to really look for them on Tidal.

Cool, which software player are you using for your FLAC files?

Everything is streamed wirelessly...

1. MinimServer - FLAC content, internet radio streams.

2. Chromecast Audio - internet radio streams via apps.

3. BuppleUPnP Control Point + BubbleUPnP Server - internet radio streams, transcoding (only if needed).

That's all with the Raspberry Pi.

I also do the same with Synology, add to Audio Station and stream to CCA.

In other words no media player like JRiver and Foobar, not even on the smartphone, but BubbleUPnP app is the main interface that connects the media, streaming services, etc. to the CCA + DAC combo or the AVR.

Next to the Word of God, the noble art of music is the greatest treasure in the world - Martin Luther

Just a quick pointer. When used as a network music file streaming device, think of the CCA as a hardware music file player, so no 'software player' is required.

The software mentioned by @master & the others are only used to:

either control the CCA's playback of those music files (ie tell the CCA which music files to play & where to get them from) - eg the BubbleUPnP controller Android app;

or supply the music files for streaming over the network - eg the MinimServer UPnP media server running on a computer/NAS, or even Tidal's own online music file servers.

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

Everything is streamed wirelessly...

1. MinimServer - FLAC content, internet radio streams.

2. Chromecast Audio - internet radio streams via apps.

3. BuppleUPnP Control Point + BubbleUPnP Server - internet radio streams, transcoding (only if needed).

That's all with the Raspberry Pi.

I also do the same with Synology, add to Audio Station and stream to CCA.

In other words no media player like JRiver and Foobar, not even on the smartphone, but BubbleUPnP app is the main interface that connects the media, streaming services, etc. to the CCA + DAC combo or the AVR.

Right so you use Bubble for playing (accessing tracks info and pressing play) for both Flac files and Tidal, sorry for the noob questions.

Right so you use Bubble for playing (accessing tracks info and pressing play) for both Flac files and Tidal, sorry for the noob questions.

Correct.

No issues with the noob questions. I'm still a noob and learning in many ways.

Basically you need 3 components -

1. Server/streamer/NAS/computer/laptop (with media content).

2. Renderer (AVR, stereo receiver, DAC).

3. A control point (BubbleUPnP) that connects them both.

In this case you need a DLNA/UPnP server on the actual physical server (NAS, PC, Pi) - typcally s/w like MinimServer, any of the Linux distros with MiniDLNA, BubbleUPnP Server (not to be confused with the BubbleUPnP Control Point app), etc. The Control Point will access media off such a server and send it to a DAC or receiver wirelessly. The major advantage is having a server/NAS in a separate room and being able to stream to multiple locations around the home, works fine for FLACs, streaming radio, and even video. Yet another advantage with setting up such a server at home is you can stream/access your content out of home, it basically replaces streaming services though you'd need WiFi or a data plan.

Next to the Word of God, the noble art of music is the greatest treasure in the world - Martin Luther