IGNORED

Where Are We Going From Here?

Now it looks like all the recent trolling with regard to DSD was a lot of smoke without any actual fire.

PS: No offense to folks who are into DSD, if its your thing then enjoy it, and I'm certainly not looking to start another PCM vs DSD flame war. I don't even do high res in PCM.

My preference between PCM and DSD is both.

Regarding the discussion about DAC capability, it should be pointed out that if a DAC can accept DSD, this makes available the use of inline or offline conversion software that can produce DSD output from PCM or DSD input (including RedBook). In that case, lack of availability of an album in SACD/DSD format doesn't matter.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

My preference between PCM and DSD is both.

Regarding the discussion about DAC capability, it should be pointed out that if a DAC can accept DSD, this makes available the use of inline or offline conversion software that can produce DSD output from PCM or DSD input (including RedBook). In that case, lack of availability of an album in SACD/DSD format doesn't matter.

Maybe I've misunderstood the point you are making, but you seem to suggest that there would be no difference in SQ between: i. a RBCD version of an original DSD recording transcoded to DSD and ii. the native DSD version of the same thing replayed via SACD or download.

If so I can't agree - to my ears the availability of an album in SACD/DSD format most definitely does matter.

Maybe I've misunderstood the point you are making, but you seem to suggest that there would be no difference in SQ between: i. a RBCD version of an original DSD recording transcoded to DSD and ii. the native DSD version of the same thing replayed via SACD or download.

If so I can't agree - to my ears the availability of an album in SACD/DSD format most definitely does matter.

Two different issues! For the people who think DSD is DOA we should point out that prob 99.99% of audio DACs use sigma delta modulation so the DSD technology is hardly irrelevant.

Yes it would be great to have more recordings available in SACD or DSF but nonetheless "DSD" remains important.

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

Perhaps a slight misunderstanding, but then perhaps I wasn't completely clear.

I did not intend to say a DSD recording and a RedBook recording converted to DSD are audibly equivalent. What I meant is simply that a DAC which accepts DSD input can accept that input either from a DSD recording or a RedBook recording converted to DSD, and therefore a DAC that accepts DSD would still be useful regardless of the fact that some material is not available on DSD recordings.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

There's lots more info, what are you interested in?

Specifically, anything on how to build one.

I think I came across someone who salvaged the timer part from a micro-wave oven and interfaced it with an Arduino to get proper heat profiles once, must have been a couple of years ago.

Dedicated Line DSD/DXD | Audirvana+ | iFi iDSD Nano | SET Tube Amp | Totem Mites

Surround: VLC | M-Audio FastTrack Pro | Mac Opt | Panasonic SA-HE100 | Logitech Z623

DIY: SET Tube Amp | Low-Noise Linear Regulated Power Supply | USB, Power, Speaker Cables | Speaker Stands | Acoustic Panels

Specifically, anything on how to build one.

I think I came across someone who salvaged the timer part from a micro-wave oven and interfaced it with an Arduino to get proper heat profiles once, must have been a couple of years ago.

http://reflowster.com,

BLACK+DECKER TO1303SB 4-Slice Toaster Oven, Silver https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FN3MV88/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awd_3Avdxb1ECQQBS

You can also do:

Inkbird Itc-308 Digital Temperature Controller Outlet Thermostat, 2-stage, 1000w, w/ Sensor https://www.amazon.com/dp/B011296704/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awd_.1vdxbFEW13S3

along with:

MaxiMatic ESB-301F Elite Cuisine Single Cast Burner 1000-Watt Hot Plate, White https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000B2WOWE/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awd_w3vdxbR6KEMGT

and this is also useful:

Weller WSTA6 Pyropen Junior Self-Igniting Cordless Butane Soldering Iron https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000ICBX8S/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awd_P4vdxbFA7H087

Nice, thanks a lot.

Are you using manual solder paste application or through a screen?

Dedicated Line DSD/DXD | Audirvana+ | iFi iDSD Nano | SET Tube Amp | Totem Mites

Surround: VLC | M-Audio FastTrack Pro | Mac Opt | Panasonic SA-HE100 | Logitech Z623

DIY: SET Tube Amp | Low-Noise Linear Regulated Power Supply | USB, Power, Speaker Cables | Speaker Stands | Acoustic Panels

Nice, thanks a lot.

Are you using manual solder paste application or through a screen?

Manual... more cleanup after but not always easy to get a screen, particularly for prototype boards.