IGNORED

Using XLD to convert ALAC and AIFF files to FLAC and maintain album art and metadata

a.dent

I have fairly large iTunes library that I want to batch convert to FLAC and load on to my Linux based server. (I use Daphile and/or Snakeoil OSs).

I know I don't need to convert them to be able to use them but I am OCD about things like this.

When I convert I lose album art. I have saved album art as JPEG using the Doug Adams script.

Can someone please help me with XLD settings so that I maintain file structure and album art?

Thanks.

iTunes stores cover art in a different folder to where the music folders are stored. I'm not familiar with Doug Adams script, BUT, does that program create a file called Folder.jpg?

I know dbpoweramp (available for OSX) converts ALAC to FLAC (for Windows anyway) and preserves the Folder.jpg file in the conversion. AIFF support is available with a separate download codec .

Options for FLAC included varying the compression, from all to none, plus a raft of others, trim, volume correction, HDCD fade in fade out.....the whole nine yards.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

No worries. I think I've worked it out.

The problem was that XLD embeds the cover art in the file and doesn't have a separate folder.jpg file that I was looking for.

I've managed to convert a large batch and have cover art on my Daphile server.

Cheers for the advice.

I have fairly large iTunes library that I want to batch convert to FLAC and load on to my Linux based server. (I use Daphile and/or Snakeoil OSs).

I know I don't need to convert them to be able to use them but I am OCD about things like this.

I use XLD to rip CDs to AIFF on an iMac, and add them to iTunes for library management. I also convert the AIFF tracks to ALAC with XLD in another iTunes library so that I can use ALAC where storage space is important like on an iPod Touch, Android phone or portable USB drive. I've written some command line scripts to add the folder.jpg files to each iTunes album directory.

Then I copy the AIFF and ALAC iTunes libraries to Linux with rsync or rdiff-backup. I've nothing against FLAC and I think it is a good idea, in fact I always buy downloaded music in FLAC format where possible, before converting them to AIFF and ALAC to listen to.

I'm sure I've got as much 'audiophile OCD' as anyone, but I still don't understand why your OCD leads you to think you need to convert to FLAC, unless you have a target device that won't play ALAC perhaps.

System (i): Stack Audio Link > 2Qute+MCRU psu; Gyrodec/SME V/Hana SL/EAT E-Glo Petit/Magnum Dynalab FT101A) > PrimaLuna Evo 100 amp > Klipsch RP-600M/REL T5x subs

System (ii): Allo USB Signature > Bel Canto uLink+AQVOX psu > Chord Hugo > APPJ EL34 > Tandy LX5/REL Tzero v3 subs

System (iii) KEF LS50W/KEF R400b subs

I'm sure I've got as much 'audiophile OCD' as anyone, but I still don't understand why your OCD leads you to think you need to convert to FLAC, unless you have a target device that won't play ALAC perhaps.

My OCD must be much worse than yours. I like all the files to be the same file type. That's FLAC on my Linux server.

In my iTunes library I like them to all be ALAC.

Just typing that makes me think I need some counselling.

My OCD must be much worse than yours. I like all the files to be the same file type. That's FLAC on my Linux server.

In my iTunes library I like them to all be ALAC.

Just typing that makes me think I need some counselling.

I use AIFF in my main system as I'm trying to minimise CPU processing activity and hence hope to reduce noise with my MPD based music servers. So if you want to use a single file type and disk space isn't a problem, I would go for AIFF over losslessly compressed file types such as FLAC or ALAC.

System (i): Stack Audio Link > 2Qute+MCRU psu; Gyrodec/SME V/Hana SL/EAT E-Glo Petit/Magnum Dynalab FT101A) > PrimaLuna Evo 100 amp > Klipsch RP-600M/REL T5x subs

System (ii): Allo USB Signature > Bel Canto uLink+AQVOX psu > Chord Hugo > APPJ EL34 > Tandy LX5/REL Tzero v3 subs

Ok Richard. Here's another conundrum.

I thought I'd have a go at ripping to WAV (as opposed to AIFF) but the ripped CD all goes straight to the folder without any artist/album hierarchy.

What am I doing wrong here?

I assume that is because .wav files don't usually have meta data and the artist/album folder names are derived from the meta data.

What are your XLD settings for the following?

Preferences -> File Naming -> Format of Filename:

( In reference here is a link to an unofficial guide )

FWIW, this configuration puts the rip into the artist folder first and then creates the album folder within the artist folder. It will either create a new artist folder or use the existing one if it exists. "/%A/%T/%n %a - %t"

foofy.jpg

Thus Artist/Album Title/Track Number Artist - Track Name

Apologies if this is not the information you were looking for.

Silver Circle Audio | Roon | Devialet | Synology | Vivid Audio | Stillpoint Aperture | Auralic | DH Labs

• 1 year later...
On 4/10/2016 at 3:44 AM, a.dent said:

No worries. I think I've worked it out.

The problem was that XLD embeds the cover art in the file and doesn't have a separate folder.jpg file that I was looking for.

I've managed to convert a large batch and have cover art on my Daphile server.

Cheers for the advice.

How did you work it out?

I also have a very large iTunes library of ALAC files, that I want to convert to FLAC to move into my Samsung phone while keeping the cover art.

How were you able to convert a large batch of files with the album art?

Thanks

Use

19 minutes ago, swli2 said:

How did you work it out?

I also have a very large iTunes library of ALAC files, that I want to convert to FLAC to move into my Samsung phone while keeping the cover art.

How were you able to convert a large batch of files with the album art?

Thanks

There's probably more than one way to do it. I suggest downloading Doug Adams' free script to imbed all the cover art into each track's metadata within iTunes first. Then take everything into XLD for transcoding.

https://dougscripts.com/itunes/scripts/ss.php?sp=reembedartwork