IGNORED

Cable Suggestions: RCA to BNC digital coax

I'm currently using a BJC/Belden 1694A digital coax cable with RCA on the source side and BNC on the DAC side. I guess it sounds OK, but I'm wonder what else is out there that may sound better. It's the only digital coax cable I've ever owned and I have no idea if other cables sound different/better. I went with the BJC cable because it is easy to order to my specs (cable length, connectors, etc.) and it seems like it is hard to find cables out there that are RCA --> BNC.

Also, is there any downside to using a RCA to BNC converter? How much, if any, might that affect the sound quality?

Creek Evolution 100A / Schiit Gungnir Multibit / Squeezebox Touch with Teddy Pardo PSU / Marantz SA8005 / B&W CM8

I make them. How long do you need? Most of the ones I have made up are 0.75 -1.0 meters.

I usually use Canare LS5, like RG6, and Canare crimp on RCA and BNC connectors. Using a Gotham coax with silver plated conductor and braid at the moment. Sounds the same.

I build my own to keep the length specific to application. If the cable has to be 0.5 meters I make it 0.6 meters to allow room for plugging and unplugging.

2012 Mac Mini, i5 - 2.5 GHz, 16 GB RAM. SSD,  PM/PV software, Focusrite Clarett 4Pre 4 channel interface. Daysequerra M4.0X Broadcast monitor., My_Ref Evolution rev a , Klipsch La Scala II, Blue Sky Sub 12

Clarett used as ADC for vinyl rips.

Corning Optical Thunderbolt cable used to connect computer to 4Pre. Dac fed by iFi iPower and Noise Trapper isolation transformer. 

I'm currently using a BJC/Belden 1694A digital coax cable with RCA on the source side and BNC on the DAC side. I guess it sounds OK, but I'm wonder what else is out there that may sound better. It's the only digital coax cable I've ever owned and I have no idea if other cables sound different/better. I went with the BJC cable because it is easy to order to my specs (cable length, connectors, etc.) and it seems like it is hard to find cables out there that are RCA --> BNC.

Also, is there any downside to using a RCA to BNC converter? How much, if any, might that affect the sound quality?

The quality of an S/PDIF cable can make a huge difference to your sound. As always, the scale a quality of the difference will vary with the rest of the components in the system. There are at least a couple of serious audio dealers/shops in the Twin Cities. Find one that carries Nordost or Wireworld and see if they'll let you take a cable for a weekend trial. (Disclaimer: I'm an authorized dealer for Nordost and Wireworld.)

Best,

Jeff

What's your system? If you have a lot of revealing equipment, that's going to make a difference as to whether or not it makes sense to buy a more expensive cable.

+1

However, it's still a good idea to try one rather than deciding a priori based on the system that it wouldn't benefit from a better cable. Knowing the system would certainly give us an idea of the likelihood a better cable will make a significant difference though.

My profile should be up to date. My main system should show up in my signature with this post.

Creek Evolution 100A / Schiit Gungnir Multibit / Squeezebox Touch with Teddy Pardo PSU / Marantz SA8005 / B&W CM8

My profile should be up to date. My main system should show up in my signature with this post.

You have a well though out system. I see no reason why you wouldn't hear a cable upgrade with the equipment you have. Since you live in the US, I would try Cable Company first. They'll give you some solid recommendations and send box of demo cables for you to try first. They can also help you decide if you would be better off with a standard cable with rca connectors and an adapter, or a custom termination. Another option would be Best Buy if you have a local store. They sell AQ. Try one and return it if you're not happy. Whatever you do, don't spend a lot of money. Too many people overspend on cables for systems where the money can be put to better use elsewhere.

I think I'm going to try this Nordost Blue Heaven. Seems to tick all of the boxes. It's BNC-to-BNC, but it comes with adapters so it should be flexible for any changes in the future. I'd say it's at the top of my price range. Definitely wouldn't want to go much higher. Hopefully it's consistent with the level of the other parts in my system.

You should try a few different ones first. For someone in your position, I feel that Nordost may be a fairly risky option. They can be a polarizing cable. It seems that people either really like, or really dislike them. If you can't demo, I would get something that is more widely used and is known to work with a wide variety of gear. Also, you don't have to spend $200 to get a good cable. $100-$150 tops. In that price bracket, I would consider these brands. AQ, Wireworld, Cardas, DH Labs, Purist, Harmonic Tech and Tara. All are safe choices and should work fine in just about any system.

I'm going to go to my local dealer and see if I can take one home for a few days. If they won't accomodate me, I'll order from Music Direct, with their 60 day return policy.

I think I'm going to try this Nordost Blue Heaven. Seems to tick all of the boxes. It's BNC-to-BNC, but it comes with adapters so it should be flexible for any changes in the future. I'd say it's at the top of my price range. Definitely wouldn't want to go much higher. Hopefully it's consistent with the level of the other parts in my system.

I have two of Blue Heaven cables, 1m & 3m they fit 100% snug on the connectors. The 3m cable is now 3 years old and it looks like it was bought yesterday. Highly durable and built to last. As for SQ, S/PDIF needs all the help it can get, it's unbalanced, so the shields have to be good. I haven't made a direct comparison with say an DIY RG6, however for durability alone, it's worth getting a better (more money) cable. For a high humidity environment, that's important for me.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

I have two of Blue Heaven cables, 1m & 3m they fit 100% snug on the connectors.

What's your opinion on the RCA adapters, both in regard to build quality and sound quality? This is the first time I've encountered these. Is it a pretty solid fit between the adapter and the BNC plug?

AQ, Wireworld, Cardas, DH Labs, Purist, Harmonic Tech and Tara. All are safe choices and should work fine in just about any system.

Thanks for passing these along. AQ is my go to cable brand for analog interconnects and if they had BNC digital options I'd probably start there. But I'm actually looking forward to trying a new brand (Nordost), and trying to broaded my horizons a bit. If it's not a good fit sound-wise, I'll for sure look elsewhere.

What's your opinion on the RCA adapters, both in regard to build quality and sound quality? This is the first time I've encountered these. Is it a pretty solid fit between the adapter and the BNC plug?

The Nordost RCA to BNC adapters fit like the BNC connector does, snug, not over tight, not sloppy either. The RCA requires some effort to insert which is a good sign. The adapter is transparent if it's made correctly, it's what's on the other end that determines the SQ more. All rather general terms sorry, since I don't have a test gear nor do Nordost supply any graphs or performance data on their adapters, or cables come to think of it.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

I called an audible and bought this entry level Transparent cable. Nice build quality and they offer all different permutations of RCA & BNC connectors. About $50 cheaper than the Nordost. Haven't had time to listen much, so the jury is still out on any improvements in SQ. I'm going to see how this works and then go from there...

IMG_20160416_134223.jpg

IMG_20160416_103740.jpg

Belden 1694A is an excellent digital cable! If another cable sounds different, well then either that other cable is defective or one of your components is bad.

I already have a BJC Belden 1694A. I started this thread to explore what else is out there. Do you have anything to recommend?

I already have a BJC Belden 1694A. I started this thread to explore what else is out there. Do you have anything to recommend?

People like him can't make recommendations. His ego won't allow for it. Something in your system IS defective, and that's all there is to it. He's kind of like the guy that always drives around in a beat up car. Everyone else is a bad driver, not him.

I just made a recommendation!

It's:

BJC Belden 1694A

Speedskater - We get it; You don't think more expensive cables are any better than the BJC 1694A. Thank you for sharing your opinion.

As I've mentioned several times, this thread was created to solicit alternatives to the BJC cable. Since you can't seem to do that, I'm going to ask that you refrain from participating in this thread any further.

Thanks, and have a nice day.

I just made a recommendation!

It's:

BJC Belden 1694A

You missed the point, but that's no surprise. A recommendation would imply that there's a possibility you may be wrong. So if the Belden cable doesn’t sound good, the problem MUST be something else. Given that, its no surprise you recommend a cable that the OP already has. If he doesn't try any other cables, you get to be right.

• 2 weeks later...

In my experience the BNC / RCA adapters have a subtle but undesirable sonic impact. Best I've heard came with a Black Cat SilverStar coax cable I purchased. See Attached photo. The SilverStar is a bit longer and on top in the photo. While it can't be seen in the photo, it's impression stamped with Black Cat Cable along the perimeter. Not sure if these can be purchased individually from Chris Sommovigo of Stereomatic.

The RCA to BNC adapters are likewise a problem. Connectronics brand sound OK and are sold online by Markertek.

DSCF0381.jpg

Hytek

In my experience the BNC / RCA adapters have a subtle but undesirable sonic impact. Best I've heard came with a Black Cat SilverStar coax cable I purchased. See Attached photo. The SilverStar is a bit longer and on top in the photo. While it can't be seen in the photo, it's impression stamped with Black Cat Cable along the perimeter. Not sure if these can be purchased individually from Chris Sommovigo of Stereomatic.

The RCA to BNC adapters are likewise a problem. Connectronics brand sound OK and are sold online by Markertek.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]25616[/ATTACH]

Cable Company sells those. They show a new model as well. Its more money but it looks really good.