IGNORED

Are there any free or Tidal based MQA recordings available

You can find some real good tracks for free and legal over here:

2L High Resolution Music .:. free TEST BENCH

Good point is you can compare them between different formats and resolutions - this is why this test bench exists.

The only point is that you will need an MQA enabled decoder/DAC, e.g. the Meridien Explorer 2 or similar ...

I have listened to all of the 2L testbench tracks (plus some full albums) in both MQA and 192/24. I agree that the differences are that the sound appears more analog and less digital. The clarity of hearing the instruments struck and released was apparent on the MQA versions. It will take a lot more listening to really say that MQA makes a significant SQ difference. I am using the Meridian Explorer2 with a Headamp BUDA and Audioquest USB and 3.5mm to RCA cables, Macbook Pro using Aduirvana. I have the Brooklyn on order.

Headphones: ZMF Atrium Closed, ZMF Bokeh, Audeze LCD-X, Meze 109 Pro, Focal Clear Mg, Noble Katana IEMs, Dan Clark Aeon 2 Closed
Amp/DAC: Decware MKIII Tube Amp, ZMF Homage, Schiit Bifrost 2/64, Woo Audio WA8, Burston Playmate 2, Mytek DSD192 DAC, Cayin RU7, Chord Mojo, Fiio M11 Plus DAP
Cables: Promitheus XLR Interconnects, WyWired red cables, Meze Silver, ZMF 6.35 ofc and 4 pin xlr stock, Arctic Cable, Audio Envy Cable balanced, balanced Silver Interconnects
Other: Aurender N100H, Macbook Pro (2023) running Audirvana Studio

Good point is you can compare them between different formats and resolutions - this is why this test bench exists.

The only point is that you will need an MQA enabled decoder/DAC, e.g. the Meridien Explorer 2 or similar ...

So most of these are sourced from DXD. How are they converted to MQA? Understanding the process would provide some insights into any evaluation.

If someone says there is a vast improvement between MQA and DXD that would be very interesting.

• 3 weeks later...

...and if you do not have a DAC enabled to decode MQA you can play back (and compare) MQA Files with your existing equipment ... [emoji3]

So most of these are sourced from DXD. How are they converted to MQA? Understanding the process would provide some insights into any evaluation.

From CA's home page:

Computer Audiophile - A Comprehensive Q&A With MQA's Bob Stuart

If someone says there is a vast improvement between MQA and DXD that would be very interesting.

MQA is not a sample rate, it is an encoded process. It can be done on DXD or anything lower (i.e it is PCM only).