IGNORED

Processor speed / Ram question

Does processor speed and ram matter when accessing a large (4-5 tb) music library stored on the nas . I was thinking about having linux roon on my qnap when/if that becomes an option.

Any input would be helpful.

stereo :  Kronos Sparta / Miyajima Madake / Lumin U1 streamer / Lampizator Big 7 / EAR 912 linestage / Pass Labs XA100.8  / Marten Coltrane Soprano speakers

nas : Qnap tvs-471 

Does processor speed and ram matter when accessing a large (4-5 tb) music library stored on the nas . I was thinking about having linux roon on my qnap when/if that becomes an option.

I can't say how much good it's done me yet. Went from an Iomega to a dual ethernet port, port trunking QNAP with 8GB of RAM and the fastest quad core processor. I have a 40,000 song library loaded on it. I haven't received my microRendu yet, - but the Squeezeboxes are running great from it, from the iMAC in the basement. I may move LMS to the QNAP, - not sure at this point.

I will likely run some tests to compare MimimServer with LMS.

The iomega only had 256K RAM, and was rapidly starting to die. The QNAP is blazingly faster to all computers, and all Squeezeboxes connected to it. It's "feels" so much better having such super fast access comparatively, - but if your music doesn't have any dropouts.......

With the imminent death of the Iomega, and the thought that I might someday want to run Roon/MimimServer & LMS on it, - I decided to go overboard with the QNAP. (I have some pictures, but I'm not the kind of person to own movies).

I also am of the opinion that one should plan for the future, and go for the extra headroom. I believe that the speed gained of extra RAM is important. Finally, - 1 can bridge the 2 ethernet ports: although I will probably wait until the beta version is out of beta.

Cheers,

I am in a similar situation as albrecht. My junky old Thecus NAS feels like it will need replacement soon. The Thecus only has a 500Mhz processor and 512mb of RAM. Even with those modest specs I am able to stream simultaneous 1080p movies to different locations in my home so there are no issues accessing my 35K song library. I will upgrade to a more powerful QNAP like albrecht just so I can run more applications directly on the NAS. Things like minimserver, amazon backup, etc are not supported on my old Thecus. I imagine having more cpu and RAM will help running Roon as well. I think if you are using the NAS to serve the music that more cpu power could help with sound quality too.

BTW, RichardA1, I have the SF Evolutions as well, in graphite and absolutely love them. I just got a sub today to see if it will help improve the sound.

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

My current qnap uses a intel atom 2.13 and has 1GB ram. I have a friend with a large library using roon on a older computer and roon seems to drag along loading. My current pc runs a large library quickly in comparison. I use a lumin streamer with minimserver but I want to add alot more music to that library and I think everything would run smoother with a faster processor qnap with more ram.

Hey tboooe .... Love my SF Evolutions , I use 1 Rel S5 set at 30-40hz amazing low end seamless with the SF Evos.

stereo :  Kronos Sparta / Miyajima Madake / Lumin U1 streamer / Lampizator Big 7 / EAR 912 linestage / Pass Labs XA100.8  / Marten Coltrane Soprano speakers

nas : Qnap tvs-471 

Should help speed when you rescan your library for music directory, otherwise depends on how heavy you load the NAS with concurrent users.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

Hey tboooe .... Love my SF Evolutions , I use 1 Rel S5 set at 30-40hz amazing low end seamless with the SF Evos.

I got my subs crossed over at a little over 30Hz. Surprisingly my Evos go down to 40Hz but I have a small room so its not hard to load it up with bass. No I just need to figure out this null I have from 80-250Hz.

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

Regarding Roon you'll need to check their system requirements.

Coming to audio files, it doesn't require much in terms of RAM and CPU resources. I was using a Raspberry Pi 2 hooked up to an external HDD with just under 2 TB of FLAC rips. It took a while for MinimServer to scan the first time, but thereafter no issues or lag of any sort. In fact I'd let it run 24/7, most were audio CD resolution, some were 24/96, FLAC, WAV, transcoded by the Pi to both FLAC and WAV (using MinimServer).

I've since switched to a Synology with a quad core Intel CPU and while obviously its blazing fast, I cannot say I ever had any speed issues or delays even when using the Pi. Even with the Pi playback was instant, scrolling through a library of just under 2500 albums (a little under 40K files) was smooth and responsive, and search results took a few short seconds at the most. Don't believe you'll ever need a powerhouse of a PC or NAS for audio, though Roon might have its own requirements.

Next to the Word of God, the noble art of music is the greatest treasure in the world - Martin Luther