IGNORED

Possible to stream to a Squeezebox from a hard drive with no computer?

I have an Squeezebox. My music files are stored on an old computer. That is all I use that computer for. It needs to be reset occasionally. I just saw a router that can be bundled with an external hard drive. I am wondering if it would be possible to store my music files on that external hard drive and get rid of the computer? I don't think so, but I thought I would check with people who know more than me.

Thanks!

I've not used Squeezebox, but I don't see why not.

Just make sure the router has the option of running a DLNA/UPnP media server.

Another alternative is to get a $35 Raspberry Pi, install MinimServer on it, plug in the external HDD and stream away.

PS: The only caveat is I've not used Squeezebox so I'm not sure what are its requirements to function as a renderer or if it even runs with DLNA/UPnP.

Next to the Word of God, the noble art of music is the greatest treasure in the world - Martin Luther

I have an Squeezebox. My music files are stored on an old computer. That is all I use that computer for. It needs to be reset occasionally. I just saw a router that can be bundled with an external hard drive. I am wondering if it would be possible to store my music files on that external hard drive and get rid of the computer? I don't think so, but I thought I would check with people who know more than me.

Thanks!

I'm assuming from the post you have one of the really old SB models, not the Touch. The older models need to have some kind of server/PC running SB server software (now called LMS) - or some other software that can connect over ethernet/wireless via DLNA/UPNP. You can't just hook them up to any HD on the network.

If your router has a proper DLNA/UPNP server built in it might work, but many routers can do these kinds of taks on paper, but fail in reality-they don't have the guts to actually do the work.

The idea about the Raspberry Pi will probably work much better.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

A squeezebox device needs a piece of software called (in its later versions) LMS (Logitech Media Server) to be able to access your music. This can run on a variety of devices typically a computer or a NAS device.

It is possible to run LMS on a Raspberry Pi and connect a USB drive to that.

SqueezePlug on Max2Play announcementMax2Play | Max2Play Is one option but you can also install the LMS manually on any Linux install.

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

PS: The only caveat is I've not used Squeezebox so I'm not sure what are its requirements to function as a renderer or if it even runs with DLNA/UPnP.
I'm assuming from the post you have one of the really old SB models, not the Touch. The older models need to have some kind of server/PC running SB server software (now called LMS) - or some other software that can connect over ethernet/wireless via DLNA/UPNP. You can't just hook them up to any HD on the network.

If your router has a proper DLNA/UPNP server built in it might work, but many routers can do these kinds of taks on paper, but fail in reality-they don't have the guts to actually do the work.

Just in case anyone is still in doubt, Squeezebox devices do not support UPnP/DLNA and the only solution for the OP is to use LMS.

There is the UPnP/DLNA plugin for LMS that if enabled allows Squeezebox devices to be emulated as UPnP/DLNA streamers, allowing them to be controlled by UPnP/DLNA controller apps, but of course that still requires LMS.

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

Thanks for all the input. Just trying to 'process' things... I don't have to access my current computer often, but when I do a monitor is necessary. So, the Raspberry Pi would make things smaller, but still the same basic set up it seems.

Running the Raspberry is very different from running your old PC. It's small and more or less silent. You turn it on with the USB HD attached, setup LMS software, and pretty much can ignore it from that point on. You can more or less forget it's there. For the odd occasion you need to "see" it, you can just use remote desktop software from some other computing device that has a screen.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

I know of a few folks using the Raspberry Pi and various Squeezebox s/w like piCorePlayer, LMS, Max2Play, etc. and they swear by it. To the extent they have multiple Pi's doing streaming duties. Myself, am sold on Chromecast Audio and have multiple CCAs doing streaming duties in my setup. Either is a good option and should achieve the same results as a Squeezebox, but without the need for a 2 PC (or a server PC) running point.

I love the Pi, amazing little $35 computer that lets you do pretty much anything (even for the non-geeks like me) media centric like running a server, streamer, NAS, etc. I've 2 of them, one for MinimServer and audio, and one for Kodi and video, and both have replaced the need for a PC and/or HTPC.

Thanks for all the input. Just trying to 'process' things... I don't have to access my current computer often, but when I do a monitor is necessary. So, the Raspberry Pi would make things smaller, but still the same basic set up it seems.

The Pi will eliminate the need for a PC. That said you'll need a smartphone, tablet, or PC to actually control it, play media, etc. 99% will be done with an Android smartphone. About 1% you'll need the PC basically to install new s/w, or run updates via SSH. Other than that its set and forget. I've mine running 24/7.

Next to the Word of God, the noble art of music is the greatest treasure in the world - Martin Luther

Running the Raspberry is very different from running your old PC. It's small and more or less silent. You turn it on with the USB HD attached, setup LMS software, and pretty much can ignore it from that point on. You can more or less forget it's there. For the odd occasion you need to "see" it, you can just use remote desktop software from some other computing device that has a screen.

OK. Thanks very much. It sounds like a great option.

The Pi will eliminate the need for a PC. That said you'll need a smartphone, tablet, or PC to actually control it, play media, etc. 99% will be done with an Android smartphone. About 1% you'll need the PC basically to install new s/w, or run updates via SSH. Other than that its set and forget. I've mine running 24/7.

Sounds great!

Set up a rpi3 with Max2Play and LMS with an attached USB drive this afternoon.

Took less than an hour.

If you get the rpi3, make sure to get the accompanying power supply.

For €10 buy the Max2Play licence (well worth the money)

When first setting up, expand the SD card (I use a 16gb), configure LMS, then attach the USB drive.

You will get plenty of help over on the Slimdevices forum.

Good Luck and Enjoy!

atb

Ronnie

You can later, if you wish, add a "Top" dac or spdif output and retire or re-use your original Squeezebox (which is?).

You can later, if you wish, add a "Top" dac or spdif output and retire or re-use your original Squeezebox (which is?).

I understand most of the initial setup (though it is great to know I can get help on the Slimdevices forum), but I don't know what you mean about this next level?

Thanks for the input!

I understand most of the initial setup (though it is great to know I can get help on the Slimdevices forum), but I don't know what you mean about this next level?

Thanks for the input!

For your spare time reading;

Raspberry Pi Audio - IQaudIO Limited

and

https://www.hifiberry.com/digiplus/

atb

Ronnie

There are lots of other similar options, every man and his dog make them these days.

If you have SB Touch a powered HD (not USB powered) can be directly connected but is not recommended. Slow library scans and having to disconnect to add music... requiring a library scan... can be painful.

QNAP TS453Pro w/QLMS->Netgear Switch->Netgear RAX43 Router->Ethernet (50 ft)->Netgear switch->SBTouch ->SABAJ A10d->Linn Majik-IL (preamp)->Linn 2250->Linn Keilidh; Control Points: iPeng (iPad Air & iPhone); Also: Rega P3-24 w/ DV 10x5; OPPO 103; PC Playback: Foobar2000 & JRiver; Portable: iPhone 12 ProMax & Radio Paradise or NAS streaming; Sony NWZ ZX2 w/ PHA-3; SMSL IQ, Fiio Q5, iFi Nano iDSD BL; Garage: Edifier S1000DB Active Speakers