Building with the HDPlex 300W ATX Linear PSU

My measurements for the 300W HDPlex

Server OFF LPSU COLD

Variable 7.17 = 7.21

5V = 5.22

12V = 12.29

19V = 19.37

Server On Playing Music , LPSU very warm to hot,

Variable LED 7.11 ( connected to REGEN, cable attached so unable to measure from pins)

5V = 5.21

Results suggest the Variable output is accurate and well within spec. The 5V is out of the quoted 2% tolerance range. The drop under load and heated appears to about 10 to 50 mV.

Sound Minds Mind Sound

My measurements for the 300W HDPlex

Server OFF LPSU COLD

Variable 7.17 = 7.21

5V = 5.22

12V = 12.29

19V = 19.37

Server On Playing Music , LPSU very warm to hot,

Variable LED 7.11 ( connected to REGEN, cable attached so unable to measure from pins)

5V = 5.21

Results suggest the Variable output is accurate and well within spec. The 5V is out of the quoted 2% tolerance range. The drop under load and heated appears to about 10 to 50 mV.

Hi David

I wouldn't be too concerned about 5.22V

Regards

Alex

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

Got a prompt reply from Larry.I will get a new replacement with the variable output overvoltage protection. Hopefully the 5V fixed output will also be closer to spec.

Now you can't ask for more than that.I believe Larry is smart to do this for his customers (I can't say the same for the JCAT SATA cable I bought which doesnt work properly but no 12 month warranty from JCAT.

Sound Minds Mind Sound

Got a prompt reply from Larry.I will get a new replacement with the variable output overvoltage protection. Hopefully the 5V fixed output will also be closer to spec.

Now you can't ask for more than that.I believe Larry is smart to do this for his customers (I can't say the same for the JCAT SATA cable I bought which doesnt work properly but no 12 month warranty from JCAT.

David

Does the variable output overvoltage protection have Auto reset when the Overload or temperature problem clears, or does this simply stop the supplied device from being fried, then needing to send the PCB back for another replacement PCB ?

Regards

Alex

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

• 2 weeks later...

I just received my HDPlex 300W ATX PSU. It feels hot when I put my hand on top plate. I have a laser thermometer and it reads 112 degree Fahrenheit. I think it is too hot for this PSU. 5V rail (ATX) reads 5.25, I think that is out of line.

How is the experience of other users? Thanks.

I just received my HDPlex 300W ATX PSU. It feels hot when I put my hand on top plate. I have a laser thermometer and it reads 112 degree Fahrenheit. I think it is too hot for this PSU. 5V rail (ATX) reads 5.25, I think that is out of line.

112F isn't too hot for a PSU of this rating, or for that matter even a 15W/Channel Class A amplifier.

It probably gets hotter than that in some desert areas of the USA.

I would suggest that you check it's temperature again after a lengthy processor task.

When I use the ATX power mine also feel hot (not so hot where I cant leave my hand on it though). When I power things from the various XLR connection with roughly the same power consumption as my pc, the HDPlex runs cooler. I no idea why.

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

• 2 months later...

Just wanted to report back that I got my new 300W LPS from Larry. My original unit had an issue with th3 5V usb c output. Larry replaced my unit with a new one that included the new over voltage protection for the variable voltage output. According to Larry this is how the protection circuit works:

"If output voltage is higher than OVP or lower than UVP or output current is higher than OCP, HDPLEX 300W Linear Power Supply will cut off all outputs. Output will recover after user turn off and turn on the linear PSU. The OVP/UVP/OCP circuit is to prevent external device from damaging HDPLEX 300W Linear PSU by drawing too much power such as short circuit. They also protect your external device from being damaged by HDPLEX 300W Linear PSU."

Though I was not happy that my unit had an issue, Larry as usual showed a willingness to help. Top notch guy and service.

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

Just a word of caution from my experience - I am using LPS 12v 12A to feed my mini PC running i7 4790 - HQPlayer - when doing PCM even up to 384 , the LPS is barely warm to your hand , but if upsampled to DSD 512 , the LPS can run very hot and when I monitor the system's power consumed , I find DSD512 consumes 3 time more wattage with @15W (PCM) to @45W on running DSD512 . So it maybe the reasons for differences observed by various LPS users .

• 5 months later...
Update on my HDPlex 300 build. I've found the biggest culprit of my flickering issues to be the motherboard itself. After making some Bios setting changes, I've managed to get a much more stable system, eliminating any flickering. Also making some further optimization to Windows 10 Pro has eliminated much of my electrical gleam. I now think if I can get Larry to fix the 5V output of the HDPlex to be within ATX standards, I will have a fantastic system. Along with replacing the PPA USB card. Sounds good right now with just the Mobo USB and an Intona Industrial feeding a Regen (JKenny mod).

Everything makes a difference.

Hello ElviaCaprice,

I am also having the same problem with my Bios (it says the power supply is unstable). Did you disable anti surge protection in your System? What kind of setting chanes did you do ln your Bios?

Thank you

Hello ElviaCaprice,

I am also having the same problem with my Bios (it says the power supply is unstable). Did you disable anti surge protection in your System? What kind of setting chanes did you do ln your Bios?

Thank you

No, it is the HDPlex 300 that is the problem. It is causing the instability to the motherboard. Contact Larry for help. I finally gave up on this power supply and sent it back. Now I'm using the 100W HDPlex LPS with the ATX HIFI board and have no more issues.

Maybe the HDPlex 400 ATX is stable (the replacement of the HDPlex 300W ATX)?

(JRiver) Jetway barebones NUC (mod 3 sCLK-EX, Cybershaft OP 14)  (PH SR7) => mini pcie adapter to PCIe 1X => tXUSBexp PCIe card (mod sCLK-EX) (PH SR7) => (USPCB) Chord DAVE => Omega Super 8XRS/REL t5i  (All powered thru Topaz Isolation Transformer)

• 3 weeks later...

Any thoughts on the 400W version HDPlex is currently offering? I am in the market for a new LPSU that has enough power for a 6700K to do 512 DSD upsampeling with HQPlayer. This will be for the "control PC", the NAA is already fully linear powered.

Would it be worth it to power it with a linear psu like the HDPlex or perhaps one from Teradak? Or would a switching psu without fan (like something from Seasonic) would give the same performance?

Mobile: iPhone 6s 128Gb > Chord Hugo > Shure 846

Stereo: PPA dual streamer setup with JPlay and AO > Lampizator Golden Gate SE > Classe Omega Preamp MKII > 2xNord On UP NC500DM > Linkwitz LX521

• 2 weeks later...

I did have a 400W LPSU and could not manage to work with my PC (Asus Z170 PRO with i5 CPU). SSD has been driven by the 100W HD-Plex LPSU along with the PPA V3 USB card but the 400W PS only could boot up the PC when I made a BIOS reset. That means every time when I turned the PS off I had to reset the BIOS so I had to send it back to Larry.

Hi Tom75,

I had the 400w LPSU and it worked flawlessly with my ASUS P9X79-PRO mobo (just plug and play). If You had to reset the BIOS every time you turned off the PS, check the bios backup battery (the button 3V batt on the mobo).

Cheers,

Huy

I had the 400w LPSU and it worked flawlessly with my ASUS P9X79-PRO mobo (just plug and play).

Did you go with something else in the mean time?

Vinnie Rossi LIO (AVC/Tubestage, AMP Module with built in HPF 100Hz 24dB/octave, DAC 2.0), Harbeth P3ESR, Rythmik F8

Win10 i7-7700 -> Roon -> HQPlayer DSD512- > LIO 100Hz HPF -> Harbeth P3ESR

->LIO  -> miniDSP <100Hz -> Rythmik F8