IGNORED

I have a problem

I have a wonderfull sounding Auralic Vega Dac and Aries. My problem is, I have to pull out my Apple Ipad every time I want to listen to music. I really wished I could use my Windows laptop like I did when I used my Logitech Media Server with the Touch.

I have a wonderfull sounding Auralic Vega Dac and Aries. My problem is, I have to pull out my Apple Ipad every time I want to listen to music. I really wished I could use my Windows laptop like I did when I used my Logitech Media Server with the Touch.

Most people would prefer not to have to use a laptop to control music playback. What does the laptop do for you that the iPad doesn't?

Main System: [Synology DS216, Rpi-4b LMS (pCP)], Holo Audio Red, Ayre QX-5 Twenty, Ayre KX-5 Twenty, Ayre VX-5 Twenty, Revel Ultima Studio2, Iconoclast speaker cables & interconnects, RealTraps acoustic treatments

Living Room: Sonore ultraRendu, Ayre QB-9DSD, Simaudio MOON 340iX, B&W 802 Diamond

It should be the other way around... What does the Ipad do that the laptop doesn't? Well with an Ipad I have to pick the dam thing up to play music or make changes. With my Windows laptop on the table in front of me, it stays in that position, it would be so much easier to play music and bitch about things on forums like I'm doing at the same time....Oh wait I have to grab the Ipad my music just stopped... With LMS it was more convenient... OH not to mention I have to charge the Ipad up every other day... I guess I shouldn't complain to much. I love my sound... Just whished Lightning DS work with Windows.

Agree with you... unfortunately I had to get an ipad to control both my Aurender N100 and Aries mini.

The ideal solution is for everything to be controlled via a web browser, then it wouldn't matter what device you used.

It should be the other way around... What does the Ipad do that the laptop doesn't? Well with an Ipad I have to pick the dam thing up to play music or make changes. With my Windows laptop on the table in front of me, it stays in that position, it would be so much easier to play music and bitch about things on forums like I'm doing at the same time....Oh wait I have to grab the Ipad my music just stopped... With LMS it was more convenient... OH not to mention I have to charge the Ipad up every other day... I guess I shouldn't complain to much. I love my sound... Just whished Lightning DS work with Windows.

Source:

*Aurender N100 (no internal disk : LAN optically isolated via FMC with *LPS) > DIY 5cm USB link (5v rail removed / ground lift switch - split for *LPS) > Intona Industrial (injected *LPS / internally shielded with copper tape) > DIY 5cm USB link (5v rail removed / ground lift switch) > W4S Recovery (*LPS) > DIY 2cm USB adaptor (5v rail removed / ground lift switch) > *Auralic VEGA (EXACT : balanced)

Control:

*Jeff Rowland CAPRI S2 (balanced)

Playback:

2 x Revel B15a subs (balanced) > ATC SCM 50 ASL (balanced - 80Hz HPF from subs)

Misc:

*Via Power Inspired AG1500 AC Regenerator

LPS: 3 x Swagman Lab Audiophile Signature Edition (W4S, Intona & FMC)

Storage: QNAP TS-253Pro 2x 3Tb, 8Gb RAM

Cables: DIY heavy gauge solid silver (balanced)

Mains: dedicated distribution board with 5 x 2 socket ring mains, all mains cables: Mark Grant Black Series DSP 2.5 Dual Screen

Obvious answer is to change out rhe Windows laptop for a Macbook Pro. :)
If only - Apple officially freeing their iOS apps to run on an emulator on OS X is pie in the sky :(

I really wished I could use my Windows laptop like I did when I used my Logitech Media Server with the Touch.
Shame Auralic didn't get round to issuing the Android version of the Lightning DS app. That would have been one way of controlling the Aries on a Windows laptop, via an Android emulator - even Paul's Macbook Pro would be able to cope with it, the irony :)

Incidentally, doesn't the Aries still support OpenHome & standard UPnP/DLNA? You should at least be able to control music file streaming from a UPnP/DLNA media server (eg MinimServer), if not other sources with a bit of 'tinkering', using a UPnP controller application on the Windows laptop eg:

Linn Kazoo (OpenHome),

Foobar2000 (requires the foo_upnp plugin and/or the foo_out_upnp depending on how much tinkering you can stand,

JRiver (standard UPnP),

BubbleUPnP Android app (and possibly any other Android UPnP controller app) via the BuleStacks Android emulator.

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

Fair enough, though there should be no tinkering using the Linn Kazoo controller software (other than installing it) to stream music files from MinimServer, say, if the Aries' support of OpenHome still holds true. The Aries set to its default Lightning Device operation mode, as opposed to its (standard) UPnP operation mode, should hopefully still be using OpenHome - so you shouldn't even need to change that.

BTW, for anyone that's interested in an Android emulator, that should have read 'BlueStacks' in my last post - sorry for the typo.

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

I keep my tablet on a stand on my desktop and plugged in. It's always there, plugged in, and I don't have to grab it. If you function from a desktop, why don't you do the same.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

If only - Apple officially freeing their iOS apps to run on an emulator on OS X is pie in the sky :(

-

Of course, I was joking, but XCode is free from Apple and comes with a perfectly functional iOS emulator ;)

On the other paw, just leaving the iPad on and plugged in as Firedog suggested would alleviate a lot of the OPs issues I think. But then again, it's a personal thing I suppose. I have one friend at work who will do the most amazing contortions imaginable to avoid using or sYing anything good about anything Apple.

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

Linn Kazoo works well to control my Aries from my MBP when I leave my iPad upstairs. Occasionally won't control Aries but a restart on the Linn solves that problem.

QNAP TS-251-->Netgear GS116 Switch--->Asus router--->wireless to Aurelic Aries--->USB to NAD M51--->Bryston B135--->Thiel CS 2.7 speakers

Well for better or worse I believe you do need to use the Lightning DS application to stream Tidal from the Aries. Apologies I forgot you used Tidal as well.

Silver Circle Audio | Roon | Devialet | Synology | Vivid Audio | Stillpoint Aperture | Auralic | DH Labs

@2string1 - you could install Miminserver on your Windows PC. Then use Minimserver, as your music server, rather than the Lightning Server software on your Aries. This would allow you to use Lightning DS on your iPad.

Not sure about the Comcast router question, do you mean while you are at home or outside you home, or something different?

Silver Circle Audio | Roon | Devialet | Synology | Vivid Audio | Stillpoint Aperture | Auralic | DH Labs

@2string1 - you could install Miminserver on your Windows PC. Then use Minimserver, as your music server, rather than the Lightning Server software on your Aries. This would allow you to use Lightning DS on your iPad.

Not sure about the Comcast router question, do you mean while you are at home or outside you home, or something different?

I want to browse my music files on my windows hard drive with Lighning DS on my Ipad wireless and play on the ARies

Then you will be fine if you install Minimserver on your PC. Minimserver is supported by Auralic as a streaming server. Once installed and configured on your Windows PC you can refer to this guide on selecting it in Lightning DS

Well for better or worse I believe you do need to use the Lightning DS application to stream Tidal from the Aries. Apologies I forgot you used Tidal as well.
Barr

Isn't true that the Aries's UPnP renderer operation mode is now fixed? If so Tidal (& Qobuz) access should be possible with the Aries via the Linn Kazoo controller. However, you'll also need to use the BubbleUPnP Server helper software on a networked computer (your Mac laptop would be ok) or a NAS, to provide create an (emulated) OpenHome renderer for the Aries (previously set to UPnP renderer operation mode).

John

-- Jo Cox

I think I'll just use my Ipad for Tidal and stick a thumb drive in the back of the Aries for my files. The thumb drive will probably sound better then using the hard drive in my desktop anyways. Like I said earlier tinkering is not my forte on computers. The last post by Cebolla is way beyond my knowledge.

@2string1 - Don't let my last post (intended for @baddog) frighten you. The (unrelated) advise you've been given to install MinimServer on your Windows desktop PC is certainly worth doing. MinimServer's developer, on the MinimServer forum, provides excellent support if you do encounter any problems.

-- Jo Cox

@2string1 - Don't let my last post (intended for @baddog) frighten you. The (unrelated) advise you've been given to install MinimServer on your Windows desktop PC is certainly worth doing. MinimServer's developer, on the MinimServer forum, provides excellent support if you do encounter any problems.

Isn't it true that playing your files from a desktop hard drive,one that is used for every day usage not a good thing. Something about electrical noise. Wouldn't it be better to use the thumb drive plugged directly into the Aries? Even with a NAS you have a spinning disk.

Isn't it true that playing your files from a desktop hard drive,one that is used for every day usage not a good thing. Something about electrical noise. Wouldn't it be better to use the thumb drive plugged directly into the Aries? Even with a NAS you have a spinning disk.

For electrical isolation, don't use drives plugged (electrically connected) into the Aries. Network file servers are good for this. FWIW, I found Lightning DS to provide greater clarity with the Aries mini than Minimserver.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system