IGNORED

Linear Power Supplies - Where's the compliance?

Linear power supplies have the advantages as far as producing a lot less noise into the load as well as the AC supply.

I look at the $40 AC adapter for my Fujitsu corporate notebook, and noticed the raft of safety approvals and authorities the simple power supply needs to comply with.

UL, UL Japan, CE, there's not enough real estate on some AC supplies to cover for all the certificates.

In my country, I cannot buy a linear power supply off the shelf for love or money, it's too inefficient?! I can either make my own or buy one from another country where it's freely available, but where's the compliance? Rules to connect equipment to the AC supply are complex, even more complex for importing equipment connected to an AC supply.

I'm all for a cleaner audio, and a linear PSU will work for sure, but to what standard, and resilience are the JS-2, Kenneth Lau, Core Audio, Paul Hynes, Sbooster and a heap more of course in the world, but to to provide year in year out of trouble less performance without creating a fireball and incinerating our houses. Just want to be assured that leaving on equipment, especially 24/7 does not create a drama.

Even the mighty Apple got it wrong with the AC adapters. Counterfeit equipment is rampant, with declining safety to go along with it.

Welcome from any manufacturer to come forward and provide approval numbers and or certificates where an independent authority has vetted the design to be used safely.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

Do the manufacturers need to provide approval certificates, or is it up to an authorised distributor in the country concerned to arrange this ? This appears to be a grey area in that a private person can import non locally approved electrical devices into another country.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

Do the manufacturers need to provide approval certificates, or is it up to an authorised distributor in the country concerned to arrange this ? This appears to be a grey area in that a private person can import non locally approved electrical devices into another country.

For AU, the importer who will SELL the PSU, is required to obtain a certificate of compliance. If the PSU already has one from EU, then the process is reasonably quick since EU certification is valid and close to AS (Australian Standards). If the device comes from China, then the device needs to be submitted for testing, where it goes through the wringer and may take several weeks.

The sample is usually top class since it needs to pass HiPot, temperature, long therm heat rise etc. testing. Subsequent production runs are often inferior and end up faulty with expensive recalls.

A person importing equipment for their own use and doesn't resell (<-very important), can bring in anything they like.

This is the best thing ever-- so easy to use that even after you've had a few drinks you can sit in your chair and point it at your equipment: Nubee Temperature Gun Non-contact Digital Laser Infrared IR Thermometer https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CVHIJDK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awd_G5h.wb3AE1K4V

... as long as the box isn't too hot you are probably fine ;)

Ever used one on the Apple Airport Express? Those things really warm up.

I am in AU and compliance was also a consideration for me.

Selected HDPlex as it had CE approval (plus the approval and ripple tests were also available to be downloaded from their website, under the specifications tab IIRC).

Speaker : iPhone 6S Plus > UpTone Audio USB Regen (x2) > Benchmark DAC1 Pre > Pass Labs INT-30A > Focal Micro Utopia BE

Headphone : Auralic Aries > Auralic Gemini 2000 > Audeze LCD-X

Power & Tweaks : Heaps of Balanced & Isolation Power supplies, Dedicated Line, Vinnie Rossi MINI PURE-DC-4EVR, HD-Plex LPSU, iFi Audio DC iPurifiers, DIY Resonance/Vibration platforms using Townshend Audio Seismic Isolation Pods

That is why I would buy a Sbooster for my Auralic Aries LE. The Sbooster is as far I know fully CE approved. Maybe it's not the best but at least it has been tested for safety.

I would not buy US made electrical equipment with CE certification.

Hi Mordante,

Thanks for your remark.

Yes, the BOTW P&P ECO product range is fully approved by TÜV Rheinland and KTL for South Korea. A part of this certification is that the factory, where the power supplies are manufactured, is inspected by the approval agency on an annual bases.

We have the following certifications:

CB report (which is the basic document for certification in 50+ countries)

FCC EMI report

CE-EMC (Electromagnetic compatibility report)

GS (Europe)

cTUVus (Canada/USA)

KC (South Korea)

CCC (China)

PSB (Singapore)

PSE ( Japan - expecting within 2 weeks)

With the development of BOTW P&P ECO-models we made a choice to be able to sell safely worldwide. For this we have invested a lot in safety and safety approvals. Certificates can be found in online databases such as Certipedia (search term Squeeze-upgrade).

Please note, that the CE-mark is a mark without required involvement of a third party testing agency. Many manufactures will take this "self-approving" seriously, but others might not.

Regards,

Karin

Sbooster, enjoy more music.........

Meet us at the Montréal Audio Fest 23-28 March 2018

For AU, the importer who will SELL the PSU, is required to obtain a certificate of compliance. If the PSU already has one from EU, then the process is reasonably quick since EU certification is valid and close to AS (Australian Standards). If the device comes from China, then the device needs to be submitted for testing, where it goes through the wringer and may take several weeks.

The sample is usually top class since it needs to pass HiPot, temperature, long therm heat rise etc. testing. Subsequent production runs are often inferior and end up faulty with expensive recalls.

A person importing equipment for their own use and doesn't resell (<-very important), can bring in anything they like.

Nanny States. The world is filling-up with Nanny States. They just have to stick their necks into every aspect of our lives. They must protect us from ourselves and they rule through a combination of fear and guilt. And people ask me why I'm politically Conservative...

George

Nanny States. The world is filling-up with Nanny States. They just have to stick their necks into every aspect of our lives. They must protect us from ourselves and they rule through a combination of fear and guilt. And people ask me why I'm politically Conservative...

Utter balderdash !

Your (around) 120VAC mains supply is far less lethal than a nominal 230VAC system that can be as high as 253VAC.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

Whuh? what utter crap George, really!!

It's bad enough when Apple power supplies blow up and cause fires, or worse kill people and these items are supposed to be regulated. And you want less restrictions? For safety of electrical equipment? Not a week goes by, when there's a recall of faulty electrical appliances found to be brought into the country without certification.

What a crock. No one's stopping you from hurting yourself. They're trying to avoid people getting hurt by unscrupulous manufacturers. If I want to make my own dangerous audio equipment no one is preventing me (I recently had an amp meltdown that almost caused serious damage). OTOH, if I buy something off the shelf I sure as hell want to be assured that it's safe. There's nothing *liberal* about wanting some sort of protection from a piece of consumer equipment that has a good chance of burning down my house or killing my kid.

What a crock. No one's stopping you from hurting yourself. They're trying to avoid people getting hurt by unscrupulous manufacturers. If I want to make my own dangerous audio equipment no one is preventing me (I recently had an amp meltdown that almost caused serious damage). OTOH, if I buy something off the shelf I sure as hell want to be assured that it's safe. There's nothing *liberal* about wanting some sort of protection from a piece of consumer equipment that has a good chance of burning down my house or killing my kid.

+1

John Walker - IT Executive

Headphone - SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > Topping D90 > Topping A90d > Dan Clark Expanse / HiFiMan H6SE v2 / HiFiman Arya Stealth

Home Theater / Music -SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Denon X3700h > Anthem Amp for front channels > Revel F208-based 5.2.4 Atmos speaker system

I wonder if the Samsung Washing Machines mentioned below had a proper local safety inspection before being granted Australian approval ?

Thousands of recalled Samsung washing machines still in use and pose 'urgent' fire danger - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

The fault with the machines is that water can condense on an internal motor connection. This, Samsung says, has led to 180 “confirmed” incidents of smoking, overheating or fire.

Samsung's repair uses a plastic bag over the area, which is clearly not acceptable to many, and one such repaired machine subsequently caught fire !

Yet the USA has one of the most virulent Nanny-states and it's getting worse every year!

Does that mean that Trump would be good for audiophiles?

TF cards - USB  -> GentooPlayer in RAM on Rpi4b, Ian’s PurePi II, FIFO Q7, HDMI-pro  -> Audio GD R-27 -> S.A.T. Infinity monoblocks -> Gallo Stradas + TR-3 sub / Erzetich Phobos

Yet the USA has one of the most virulent Nanny-states and it's getting worse every year!

George-

Your position would be realistic if: (a) "the market" actually functioned (meaning full information about products is available in real time for informed consumer decisions - which it isn't) as it is supposed to be in a theorectical free market; and if (b) manufacturers could be depended on to "do the right thing". Neither of those conditions apply. Not even close.

Therefore safety regulation is needed. It has nothing to do with being a "nanny" state. It has to do with correcting what economists call "market failure". It is exactly the role of even a limited government to step in in such instances and regulate: correcting market failure. And that's true according to classic and modern liberal economists, going back to, and including, Adam Smith.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Does that mean that Trump would be good for audiophiles?

Trump won't be good for anybody or anything! But then neither will the "Wicked Bitch of the South". This crucial election is shaping up to be a disaster for this already benighted country.

George

George-

Your position would be realistic if: (a) "the market" actually functioned (meaning full information about products is available in real time for informed consumer decisions - which it isn't) as it is supposed to be in a theorectical free market; and if (b) manufacturers could be depended on to "do the right thing". Neither of those conditions apply. Not even close.

Therefore safety regulation is needed. It has nothing to do with being a "nanny" state. It has to do with correcting what economists call "market failure". It is exactly the role of even a limited government to step in in such instances and regulate: correcting market failure. And that's true according to classic and modern liberal economists, going back to, and including, Adam Smith.

Ok, I got a bit carried away, here. I HATE governments, and are very wary of all of them, and don't ever trust their motives.

George

Ok, I got a bit carried away, here. I HATE governments, and are very wary of all of them, and don't ever trust their motives.

Fine. But I don't trust Coporations, either. Never have quite understood why some have total mistrust of government, but somehow trust corporations, that have lots of motives, including profits, to lie and cheat.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Actually this thread concerns individuals who are exercising their right to purchase equipment that meets a certain standard.

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

Fine. But I don't trust Coporations, either. Never have quite understood why some have total mistrust of government, but somehow trust corporations, that have lots of motives, including profits, to lie and cheat.

I never said that I trust corporations either. Both governments and corporations have the same basic human flaw: They are in it solely for their own self aggrandizement. The governments don't give a good goddamn about those they govern (unless they are forced to do so) and corporations don't care a whit about their customers beyond getting their money; again, unless they are forced to.

George

Unfortunately Mitt Romney was being too intelligent for the average public when he said that corporations are people too : look at the definition of the word. In any case you should never trust a corporation more than you trust the individual people who form it. Governments are to be trusted only in so far as you trust the individual people who control them.

Custom room treatments for headphone users.