IGNORED

Böhm: Beethoven's 6th Sym, 24 bit 96 kHz

I got this from Pono (which allowed me to download just the first five tracks for $11).

00028947948766-cover-zoom.jpg

Wiener Philharmoniker; Karl Böhm, Beethoven: Symphony No. 6 Pastoral - Schubert: Symphony No. 5 in High-Resolution Audio - ProStudioMasters

% fbits *
24/24 bits	01-Beethoven_ Symphony No.6 In F, Op.68 -_Pastoral_ - 1. Erwachen heiterer Empfindungen bei der Ankunft auf dem Lande_ Allegro ma non troppo.flac
24/24 bits	02-Beethoven_ Symphony No.6 In F, Op.68 -_Pastoral_ - 2. Szene am Bach_ (Andante molto mosso).flac
24/24 bits	03-Beethoven_ Symphony No.6 In F, Op.68 -_Pastoral_ - 3. Lustiges Zusammensein der Landleute (Allegro).flac
24/24 bits	04-Beethoven_ Symphony No.6 In F, Op.68 -_Pastoral_ - 4. Gewitter, Sturm (Allegro).flac
24/24 bits	05-Beethoven_ Symphony No.6 In F, Op.68 -_Pastoral_ - 5. Hirtengesang. Frohe und dankbare Gefühle nach dem Sturm_ Allegretto.flac
zsh-% open -a Audacity  01-Beethoven_\ Symphony\ No.6\ In\ F,\ Op.68\ -_Pastoral_\ -\ 1.\ Erwachen\ heiterer\ Empfindungen\ bei\ der\ Ankunft\ auf\ dem\ Lande_\ Allegro\ ma\ non\ troppo.flac

Screen Shot 2016-03-30 at 7.30.43 AM.png

Screen Shot 2016-03-30 at 7.30.31 AM.png

Screen Shot 2016-03-30 at 7.31.41 AM.png

Not exactly methamphetamine-fueled, but quality is superb.

Thanks for this thread. I was not aware that Pono was selling classical music as well. Good to know. However, I'll probably skip this one, as I already have far too many recordings of the Pastorale. Which is a convoluted way of saying that I am tempted...

PS: I really like the timeless style of the album art of DG vinyls from this period.

I have his 9th originally on vinyl (one of the few records I have hung onto). If there is a high res release of that some day, I will be pleased.

Still the best 9th for my money is Solti/Chicago.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

I don't know a better place, but search on Amazon and there are people with the Decca CD reissue of Solti/ Chicago. I owned it in vinyl. So don't know how quality of the CD compared. I believe MFSL did a half speed release in the 80' s. Would be nice if someone did a needle drop of that version. Original recording was early 60' s.

Also on YouTube is Georg Solti doing the 9 th in the Albert Hall in 1986. Obviously not with the Chicago symphony. You can see if you like his style.

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

I am deeply ashamed to say I don't have that.

That could change as quickly as you tell me what/where to get it.

FWIW, there are two sets on Qobuz:

Beethoven: The Symphonies | Ludwig van Beethoven par Chicago Symphony Orchestra (CSO) – Télécharger et écouter l'album

Beethoven: The Nine Symphonies | Ludwig van Beethoven par Chicago Symphony Orchestra (CSO) – Télécharger et écouter l'album

Might be a start.

• 4 months later...
I don't know a better place, but search on Amazon and there are people with the Decca CD reissue of Solti/ Chicago. I owned it in vinyl. So don't know how quality of the CD compared. I believe MFSL did a half speed release in the 80' s. Would be nice if someone did a needle drop of that version. Original recording was early 60' s.

Also on YouTube is Georg Solti doing the 9 th in the Albert Hall in 1986. Obviously not with the Chicago symphony. You can see if you like his style.

I have the Mobile Fidelity double LP set and it still sounds fine after all these years. It was taped in 1966.

But Karajan´s Beethoven 9´s were better played and conducted and he had better soloists than Solti imho.

Böhm was a Nazi.

Wagner was a virulent anti-Semite.

Chick Corea is a big fan of Scientology.

Furtwängler was at least tolerant of the Nazi regime.

Absolutely no comparison intended between the different examples given above, all are just illustrations for the fact that you need to differentiate between the artist's private live and convictions and their art.

Wagner was a virulent anti-Semite.

Chick Corea is a big fan of Scientology.

Furtwängler was at least tolerant of the Nazi regime.

Absolutely no comparison intended between the different examples given above, all are just illustrations for the fact that you need to differentiate between the artist's private live and convictions and their art.

I am not at all convinced we would separate "artist's private live and convictions and their art". First, some of them very publicly express their "convictions" (there are such current examples as Gergiev, Netrebko, Lisitsa – they either take very sound part in Putin's propaganda or openly support bandits in East Ukraine), and it influence their art or our perception of their art very much.

There is a great Istvan Szabo's movie Mephisto which is a study of outcomes of moral compromises of the artists.

Böhm was a Nazi.

That is not accurate, and you probably know it.

I went to grad school with someone closely related to him (I can't remember exactly how, but close enough to have the same last name. I asked him if he was related to David Böhm, the physicist. He said no, but he was related to Karl Böhm. He was also very much not a nazi).

Böhm's relationship with the regime is summarized in the Wikipedia article about him: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karl_Böhm

Let's keep in mind Jews were the victims of the nazis, and what any individual did (short of committing war crimes) to keep alive under that regime I don't think is particularly fair game for criticism. I'd like to think I would act more heroically under those circumstances, but that is nothing more than wishful thinking.

When I was a kid, I spent a few summers in the Berkshires. I used to go to sailing in the Stockbridge Bowl with a neighbor, William Shirer. Yes, that William Shirer. He considered Fürtwangler to be a tragic figure, well-intentioned but terribly naive. He called von Karajan an "eel" but not an anti-Semite, and a Nazi by convenience. Böhm, he said, was utterly loyal to the regime: By appearances, it came from the heart.

Make of it what you will. I wasn't there. But Shirer was.

I am not at all convinced we would separate "artist's private live and convictions and their art". First, some of them very publicly express their "convictions" (there are such current examples as Gergiev, Netrebko, Lisitsa – they either take very sound part in Putin's propaganda or openly support bandits in East Ukraine), and it influence their art or our perception of their art very much.

There is a great Istvan Szabo's movie Mephisto which is a study of outcomes of moral compromises of the artists.

I agree. There are a few "artists" whose values I find so thoroughly repugnant that I cannot enjoy their "art."

Böhm is one of them.

I agree the situation get's trickier talking about living vs. deceased artists. In the latter case, it is easier to dissociate one from the other.

That said, I still have some Netrebko albums I like and given that it's not only her, I'll keep listening to them. With regards to Gerviev and Litsitsa, I always found both to be a bit overrated (especially the latter), so I have less of a problem ignoring them.

But then I'm also not personally involved in the Ukraine/Russia conflict, if I were, I may react differently.

I agree the situation get's trickier talking about living vs. deceased artists. In the latter case, it is easier to dissociate one from the other.

That said, I still have some Netrebko albums I like and given that it's not only her, I'll keep listening to them. With regards to Gerviev and Litsitsa, I always found both to be a bit overrated (especially the latter), so I have less of a problem ignoring them.

But then I'm also not personally involved in the Ukraine/Russia conflict, if I were, I may react differently.

I have no difficulty in ignoring Netrebko for at least ten years before she expressed her support of terrorists. She had pretty voice, but not much behind it. My last attempt was her recording of Vier Letzte Lieder which appeared to be disgusting. Sorry for Barenboim, he surely was not happy to take part in this travesty.
I have no difficulty in ignoring Netrebko for at least ten years before she expressed her support of terrorists. She had pretty voice, but not much behind it. My last attempt was her recording of Vier Letzte Lieder which appeared to be disgusting. Sorry for Barenboim, he surely was not happy to take part in this travesty.

So why condemn Netrebko but choose to listen to that 'Hitlerian composer' Richard Strauss? And you feel sorry for Barenboim? Why, because he loves Wagner and Strauss? Or because of the guilt he suffered about his extra-marital affair while his wife was dying with MS? Wonderful musician though...

Well since we were talking about the Pastoral...anybody here heard Wyn Morris' version with the London Symphony Orchestra? I'm infatuated with it at the moment. The tempos are authentically Beethovenian--eg, VERY brisk--and the performance is bracing. It's a no-nonsense performance that pulls one along for the ride. I've never heard the LSO sound better and the recording itself, while RedBook bright, is otherwise exemplary.

Album paired with a satisfyingly giddy-up presentation of the Egmont overture.