IGNORED

Excellent sounding inexpensive Power Conditioner for PC

I used to always use an APC Back-Ups for my PC. The problem was...The wave form that comes out of a UPS is saw toothed wave. Its one of the reasons computer audio does not sound as good as it can.

I do not recall how I stumbled upon it, but I discovered that APC makes an inexpensive voltage regulator that creates an excellent square wave. It does not offer a battery back up like a UPS. The quality of music sound coming from two different PC's I have used it with was consistently improved and enriched when I used it instead of the UPS.

My older PC was XP with a hard drive. My new one, is a solid state drive. Both sound appreciably better when using the APC voltage regulator.

I use an Elite -15 DMi Furman conditioner for all my audio equipment. The PC does not sound as sweet when that is plugged into the Furman. It sounds thin when it is. But, when my APC LE1200 Line-R 1200VA Automatic Voltage Regulator is used, for my PC and monitor? It makes the PC sound more like tubes, but with quick in response.

I was baffled when I first heard this. I tried running the PC and monitor through another (older) Straightwire Power conditioner. The APC with the PC still sounds excellent in comparison. Why? I will leave that to the experts to determine. All I know is that the audible difference is obvious and does not require A-B'ing to try to hear the differences.

I figured I'd pass it on after a few years of consistent use. I now have an audiophile Fanless PC with a special low noise PSU. The APC makes it sound excellent. But, not so good with a standard audiophile audio power conditioner. The APC regulates the voltage with a transformer which produces a quality square wave. I tried it with my audio system and did not care so much for using it so much. Only for the PC. Its a synergistic marriage.

Best yet... NOT EXPENSIVE! Here is an example... Amazon.com: APC LE1200 Line-R 1200VA Automatic Voltage Regulator: Electronics

41pjo-Ze8cL._SX466_.jpg

It all depends upon in what dimension of life one finds themselves living in.  For, one man's music is another man's noise. 

"Quality square wave" ??? You want a pure sine wave, not a square or stepped wave. Only low end UPS/inverters use such waveforms.

But that's beside the point - an AVR doesn't recreate the wave at all - what goes out will be the same as what goes in, in terms of waveform. It's just a multi-tapped voltage transformer with some surge protection thrown in. All I can think to explain SQ improvement is it is also acting like an isolation transformer and rejecting some line noise.

Mac Mini > RME ADI-2 DAC > Hypex Ncore monoblocks > ATC SCM-11 speakers & C1 subwoofer

"Quality square wave" ??? You want a pure sine wave, not a square or stepped wave. Only low end UPS/inverters use such waveforms.
Sorry.. my bad... :) Should have read the review again.. "clean sine wave."

But that's beside the point - an AVR doesn't recreate the wave at all - what goes out will be the same as what goes in, in terms of waveform. It's just a multi-tapped voltage transformer with some surge protection thrown in. All I can think to explain SQ improvement is it is also acting like an isolation transformer and rejecting some line noise.

What ever the reason, sir... With a PC it sounds excellent. I own two different audiophile conditioners that reject line noise. It still sounds different and better with the PC. The sound is fuller and has more impact than anything else I have run my PC through.

Not trying to start a battle here. :) The reviews that are to be found with the link I supplied, mentions the sine wave. (not square wave) ... That person apparently works on his own equipment, and has test equipment to verify what he reports. Here.. this might help http://www.amazon.com/review/RQ9AW95UDMI0Y/ref=cm_cr_dp_title/180-0054718-5263308?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B00009RA60&channel=detail-glance&nodeID=172282&store=electronics

It all depends upon in what dimension of life one finds themselves living in.  For, one man's music is another man's noise. 

I have no battle with you :-) And I carefully said nothing about whether SQ was improved or not. Just pointing out that an AVR does not change the waveform of the incoming power at all.

Personally I run a number of APC UPSes with AVR functionality, as well as standalone AVRs made by Tripp-Lite and Sollatek, though I do so to deal with widely fluctuating voltage levels where I live, not for any audio benefits.

Mac Mini > RME ADI-2 DAC > Hypex Ncore monoblocks > ATC SCM-11 speakers & C1 subwoofer

I have no battle with you :-) And I carefully said nothing about whether SQ was improved or not. Just pointing out that an AVR does not change the waveform of the incoming power at all.

Personally I run a number of APC UPSes with AVR functionality, as well as standalone AVRs made by Tripp-Lite and Sollatek, though I do so to deal with widely fluctuating voltage levels where I live, not for any audio benefits.

From what I read the regular UPS produces a saw tooth sine wave. Its with the APC "Smart" UPS's that have a pure sine wave like the APC voltage regulator. The Smarts are very expensive. The voltage regulator is not. I just have to be careful because there is no more battery back up. It really sounds better with a PC. The PC running through my Furman, or Straightwire Power Purifier, does not sound as pure. Its a synergistic combination for reasons I do not know.

• 4 years later...
On 3/29/2021 at 7:19 AM, Holy Grail said:

you feel it is not as good as your audiophile power conditioner because they are different product and promote sound quality on each own reason.   if  you  APC plug in to  audiophile power conditioner   1 + 1= 2.  

you realize this thread his been dead for 4 years, right?

(1) holo audio red (hqp naa) > chord dave > luxman cl-38uc/mq-88uc > kef reference 1
(2) simaudio moon mind 2 > chord qutest > luxman sq-n150 > monitor audio gold gx100