IGNORED

Blu Ray Pure Audio Ripping

Well...... :)

I use something called the HD/BluRay Stream Extractor, which is a front end GUI to EAC3to.

Doom9's Forum - View Single Post - New eac3to GUI: HD-DVD/Blu-Ray Stream Extractor

The trick is that, at least in the past, you need the Arcsoft dlls to decode DTS HD MA. But MakeMKV claims their software now has it automatically in their program, so I guess if one uses their output all is well.

MakeMKV - DTS HD decoder

Net/net, point HDBRextrcator.exe to the folder that MakeMKV made and then click on the blue "features" link, which will pull up a menu that shows the different layers of the rip. Pick Multichannel DTS HD MA (and FLAC pulldown) and it will produce step 3 above (i.e one large flac file). Follow my instructions from there.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]25225[/ATTACH]

Ted, again, thanks. You are a goldmine. I will check this out.

Also, I came across Audiomuxer, which is freeware, that looks on the surface to be able to do what I need with DTS HD MA in Mch. I will delve into that, too. Have you ever tried that?

Bobbmd, not sure what you mean. My ripping SACD guide is in my signature, if that is what you mean. Has nothing to do with JRiver, other than JRiver can play DSF files, as can many other players. Let me know.

For others interested, I received the following response from DVDAE re DTS HDMA:

> I am sorry this caused misunderstanding. Yes, this is a known limit. For

> DTS-ES and DTS-HD MA streams which come with a core stream and one or

> more extended streams, only the core stream (48kHz) is currently decoded

> by DVD Audio Extractor. And this limit only exists on DTS format. For

> all other formats like MLP, TrueHD, LPCM, etc, all sample rates are

> supported. We do look forward to adding full DTS support in the future.

>

> Thanks and best regards,

> DVDAE Support

My understanding is that there is now an open source decoding module for DTS HDMA, which did not exist before. Some applications had been (illegally?) using Arcsoft's module or requiring the user to obtain and integrate it themselves. JRiver and some others have now adopted the newer open module perhaps a year or so ago. Hopefully, DVDAE will also do so in the not too distant future.

For others interested, I received the following response from DVDAE re DTS HDMA:

I am sorry this caused misunderstanding. Yes, this is a known limit. For DTS-ES and DTS-HD MA streams which come with a core stream and one or more extended streams, only the core stream (48kHz) is currently decoded by DVD Audio Extractor. And this limit only exists on DTS format. For all other formats like MLP, TrueHD, LPCM, etc, all sample rates are supported. We do look forward to adding full DTS support in the future.

Thanks and best regards,

DVDAE Support

They are full of shit !!!

Here's DVD-AE's reply to me in 2012:

[email protected] 26/12/2012

We have just closed support ticket [KTVUE0T8]. We hope all your questions have been answered to your satisfaction.

Message from [email protected]:

Hi Peter, it's true that for DTS-ES and DTS-HD streams which come with a core stream and one or more extended streams, only the 48kHz core stream is currently decoded by DVDAE. We are aware of this limit and do take this as our top priority task, since we can already handle all other formats without any limit. Unfortunately we don't have a good implementation on this yet and can't give you an estimated date. Thanks a lot for all your support!

View and manage your ticket online at: DVD Audio Extractor

Any further question?

Please feel free to update your ticket at above link, or create a new support request.

Please do not respond to this email, as this address is not monitored.

Regards,

CAS Support Team

Promise Pegasus2 R6 12TB -> Thunderbolt2 ->
MacBook Pro M1 Pro -> Motu 8D -> AES/EBU ->
Main: Genelec 5 x 8260A + 2 x 8250 + 2 x 8330 + 7271A sub
Boat: Genelec 8010 + 5040 sub

Hifiman Sundara, Sennheiser PXC 550 II
Blog: “Confessions of a DigiPhile”

They are full of shit !!!

Here's DVD-AE's reply to me in 2012:

[email protected] 26/12/2012

We have just closed support ticket [KTVUE0T8]. We hope all your questions have been answered to your satisfaction.

Message from [email protected]:

Hi Peter, it's true that for DTS-ES and DTS-HD streams which come with a core stream and one or more extended streams, only the 48kHz core stream is currently decoded by DVDAE. We are aware of this limit and do take this as our top priority task, since we can already handle all other formats without any limit. Unfortunately we don't have a good implementation on this yet and can't give you an estimated date. Thanks a lot for all your support!

View and manage your ticket online at: DVD Audio Extractor

Any further question?

Please feel free to update your ticket at above link, or create a new support request.

Please do not respond to this email, as this address is not monitored.

Regards,

CAS Support Team

Well, maybe they are full of it. But, I don't think so. JRiver finessed this issue for awhile when the only way to get a DTS HDMA decoder was for the user to "swipe" the .dll from an Arcsoft trial version. Arcsoft is now defunct and an open version has appeared on the scene, which is now officially used and supported in JRiver. No more stealing of the code. Audiomuxer and Make MKV may have had the same issue, now solved in those products, and maybe others.

But, that seems over a year ago now. So, the only thing that is worrysome about DVDAE is why is it taking so long? Technical problems, maybe? But, the reality might be that DVDAE is a part-time side venture for some lone technical guy who just has not put his mind to it yet. I doubt he is getting rich from DVDAE sales. But, he could improve that by solving this problem, as many might be interested. It seems a decent, easy to use tool otherwise.

Well, maybe they are full of it. But, I don't think so. . .

3 years ago!

DVDAE Support wrote "We do look forward to adding full DTS support in the future."

That is either misleading or incompetent.

I enjoy the product, but it never delivered the 5.1 in 24-96 as promised.

Promise Pegasus2 R6 12TB -> Thunderbolt2 ->
MacBook Pro M1 Pro -> Motu 8D -> AES/EBU ->
Main: Genelec 5 x 8260A + 2 x 8250 + 2 x 8330 + 7271A sub
Boat: Genelec 8010 + 5040 sub

Hifiman Sundara, Sennheiser PXC 550 II
Blog: “Confessions of a DigiPhile”

3 years ago!

DVDAE Support wrote "We do look forward to adding full DTS support in the future."

That is either misleading or incompetent.

I enjoy the product, but it never delivered the 5.1 in 24-96 as promised.

So, sue them, or get an AK47 and go shoot them or whatever. That will be a big help.

In my note to them, I criticized them for not being clearer on their limitations. But, if you reread their website carefully, they never said they could handle DTS HDMA, just DTS, which is lossy, low res and which might be rendered at up to 48k. Yes, initially, I made the same presumptive error you did. But, I was wrong, and you are wrong. They never actually promised 5.1 at 96k/24, logical though it might seem to be able to have that capability. They only hoped to do so in their direct statements to you or to me. I do not see a promise.

Yes, they should have been crystal clear about all that. As I have tried to explain, there were technical/legal difficulties that might have been an issue, with considerable uncertainty of resolution. Hopefully, those issues are now gone. There is still an outside chance they might come through, which would be greatly in their and our interest.

Audiomuxer!!! Freeware!!!

AudioMuxer 0.9.6.0 Update 2 - Download (If you wish to download, be sure to use the link in the text, not the one in the ad banner at the top.)

https://www.surroundbyus.com/pub/audiomuxer/AudioMuxer_User_Guide_Public.pdf#page1 (The software does a lot which might be extraneous. Focus primarily on Tools/Extract Audio from Blu-ray or Extract Audio from MKV/MKA Files.)

This is all preliminary. I have not yet done a full evaluation. But, so far, I have extracted a 192k DTS HDMA 5.1 stream from a 2L BDA and also a 48k/24 2.0 LPCM stream from one of the 4 operas on Decca's Wagner Ring BDA with Solti. Each extracted straightforwardly into a folder of FLACs, one FLAC file per BD chapter. I was able to import those folders/tracks into JRiver and play parts of them. Each chapter appeared as a separately taggable FLAC track inside JRiver. JRiver's Audio Path told me I was getting the proper audio resolution and channel count on playback in each case.

The main downer, so far, is that none of the metadata from the BD menus has come through the process. I have a hunch this is the way it is going to be. But, still, this gives me hope for adding hundreds of classical BDAs to my library in accessible, taggable form, and it is pretty straightforward, though it takes awhile to run.

This tool has seemingly been under the radar for some time. But, I am excited!

Great find!!!! This product replaces the several steps after doing a MakeMKV rip. It replaces having to find eac3to, installing HDBR extractor, doing the impossible job of finding a current copy of the older Arcsoft DTS HD MA decoder, needing to use Cuesheet HEaven to do manual wav or flac splitting via Foobar or JRIver, etc etc.

I ran the experiment with my MakeMKV folder of Ole Bull (2L, DTS HD MA 24/192 5.1).

Tools-> Extract Audio from Bluray -> find MPLS file in Playlist subdirectory of BDMV -> load with split chapters -> check the extract to FLAC box. Done!! Then took the finished untagged flac files to MP3Tag, called up Ole Bull in the online database and voila, all tagged.

Fitz, one question: did you mean that you skipped the MakeMKV ripping step and used Audiomuxer direcctly from a loaded disc? Or did you do as I did?

Regardless, wonderful find dude!!!!

Great find!!!! This product replaces the several steps after doing a MakeMKV rip. It replaces having to find eac3to, installing HDBR extractor, doing the impossible job of finding a current copy of the older Arcsoft DTS HD MA decoder, needing to use Cuesheet HEaven to do manual wav or flac splitting via Foobar or JRIver, etc etc.

I ran the experiment with my MakeMKV folder of Ole Bull (2L, DTS HD MA 24/192 5.1).

Tools-> Extract Audio from Bluray -> find MPLS file in Playlist subdirectory of BDMV -> load with split chapters -> check the extract to FLAC box. Done!! Then took the finished untagged flac files to MP3Tag, called up Ole Bull in the online database and voila, all tagged.

Fitz, one question: did you mean that you skipped the MakeMKV ripping step and used Audiomuxer direcctly from a loaded disc? Or did you do as I did?

Regardless, wonderful find dude!!!!

Ted - I was just trying to point out that Audiomuxer works from either an unlocked ISO Blu-Ray image or an MKV. My rips are mostly ISOs. I am new to MKV.

Best to you!

One title I'd like to be able to work with is the Neil Young Archives Blu-ray set, particularly with regard to the downloaded bonus tracks. Is it possible to use any part of these methods to try to manipulate those files in the same way given I think they are encrypted as well?

One title I'd like to be able to work with is the Neil Young Archives Blu-ray set, particularly with regard to the downloaded bonus tracks. Is it possible to use any part of these methods to try to manipulate those files in the same way given I think they are encrypted as well?

Technically, there should be no issue. A lookup indicated Vol.1 was in 192k/24 LPCM in 2.0 channels. (Where is the Vol.2 BD-A?)

You need to decrypt the BD. MakeMKV would be a good choice. It is simple and free. Then, from the MKV file, you need to extract the chapters into FLAC or WAV using Audiomuxer, also free. Go with FLAC, not WAV, if you wish to tag the tracks. Any tagging will be manually done by you after you import it into your library tool. But, you will have separate tracks you can access individually on your PC, but without the BD menu, which only the encrypted optical disc provides.

Good luck.

Fitz, I think he meant the download bonus tracks, available only to BD-Live customers with the discs. The disc themselves rip easily, yes, and the hidden tracks are ripped and extracted too.

Htom, I don't find them to be encrypted at all, just proprietary via BD-Live subscription that comes with the disc..

Gotcha, Ted. I know nothing about BD-Live, but it appears to be downloaded content from the Internet to your BD licensed player coupled to the disc being viewed, not a PC file that can be converted. Apparently, it never leaves the player and it is not accessible externally. So, I don't think there is anything that can help.

• 5 months later...

I would like to point to the fact that not only Audiomuxer is able to decode DTS-HD MA. AudioMuxer is one of many front ends to eac3to. The HD-DVD/Blu-ray Stream Extractor mentioned one page back is another one for example.

More than a year ago it was necessary to use some files from ArcSoft TotalMedia Theatre with eac3to to be able to decode DTS-HD MA. The files could be obtained from old trial installation. I went some years ago through this way and was successful.

But since eac3to version 3.30 it is not necessary. All frontends to eac3to can now profit from libDcaDec library, see changelog eac3to -> History & Old Downloads | Software - Digital Digest

So the raw functionality comes from command line tool eac3to. I can demonstrate it for you on free sample from Samples - Official Kodi Wiki Take sample 10 from section 3, this one:

DTS-HD MA 5.1 24-bit 192kHz audio-only sample (MKV) (thanks HomerJau)

Download the newest eac3to and unzip it to any folder. Open Command Prompt window in that folder:

H:\tools\eac3to>[b]eac3to "d:\AUDIO\Beck - Sea Change (DTS-HDMA 24-192kHz 5.1 (45sec).mkv"[/b]
MKV, 1 video track, 1 audio track, 0:00:45, 24p
1: h264/AVC, 1080p24 (16:9)
2: DTS Master Audio, English, 5.1 channels, 24 bits, 192kHz
  (core: DTS-96/24, 5.1 channels, 1509kbps, 96kHz)
v01 The video framerate is correct, but rather unusual.

H:\tools\eac3to>[b]eac3to "d:\AUDIO\Beck - Sea Change (DTS-HDMA 24-192kHz 5.1 (45sec).mkv" 2: d:\audio\a.flac[/b]
MKV, 1 video track, 1 audio track, 0:00:45, 24p
1: h264/AVC, 1080p24 (16:9)
2: DTS Master Audio, English, 5.1 channels, 24 bits, 192kHz
  (core: DTS-96/24, 5.1 channels, 1509kbps, 96kHz)
v01 The video framerate is correct, but rather unusual.
a02 Extracting audio track number 2...
a02 Decoding with libDcaDec DTS Decoder...
a02 libDcaDec reported the warning "XLL output not lossless".
a02 Encoding FLAC with libFlac...
a02 Creating file "d:\audio\a.flac"...
a02 The original audio track has a constant bit depth of 24 bits.
Video track 1 contains 1080 frames.
eac3to processing took 16 seconds.
Done.

Now look at the generated file a.flac

2016-10-14 22_13_32-Properties - _a_.png

Nice bitrate :)

I know I didn't demonstrate it on Bluray disk folder structure, but as far as you decode Bluray disc and find the big DTS-HD MA file, with one simple eac3to command you can convert it to FLAC. Or ... in principle, you absolutely don't need to go through command line to reach that ... You can create small .bat file containing 3 lines

cd /d %~dp0
eac3to.exe %1 "%~dpn1.flac"
pause

and place it to the eac3to tool folder. Then just drop any DTS-HD MA file to it. It will generate FLAC with the same name but .flac file extension. I did it with the test file, you can repeat it too.

Or ... you can try some eac3to frontend GUI to reach the same result.

Then you can use the Ted's advice from the previous page to obtain CUE sheet and use it for example in foobar20000 or JRiver to split the resulting big FLAC file to tracks.

i7 11850H + RTX A2000 Win11 HQPlayer ► Topping HS02 ► 2x iFi iSilencer ► SMSL D300 ► DIY headamp DHA1 ► HiFiMan HE-500