IGNORED

Blu Ray Pure Audio Ripping

DVD Audio Extractor works great on BluRay discs, but first most of them need to be decrypted. That requires a product like MakeMKV. Run the disc through MakeMKV then have DVD Audio Extractor point to the folder Makemkv created. Pick the correct title/layer (i.e 24/96 2 channel) and rip away.

DVD Audio Extractor works great on BluRay discs, but first most of them need to be decrypted. That requires a product like MakeMKV. Run the disc through MakeMKV then have DVD Audio Extractor point to the folder Makemkv created. Pick the correct title/layer (i.e 24/96 2 channel) and rip away.

Ted - I am intrigued by this product, of which I was unaware. I might download and fiddle with it.

I use JRiver now with a very large library of mainly classical SACDs in .dsf format, thanks to you. I would ideally like to have my BD-A library compatible with that so that I can have a combined view of both the SACDs and the BD-As as one comprehensive library. I have not tackled BD-A in JRiver, because I do not like their Particle implementation, which is all I was aware of.

I understand the decryption part, which is no problem. Would DVDAE rip the BD-A's into separate FLAC files chapter by chapter within an album folder? I assume I would then import those folders to JRiver, tag each chapter file consistently with my .dsfs, including custom fields. Is that it? Done? If so, wow!

Now, if only there were also an easy way to do this with BD-V, since I have many of those, too. The chapter/particle thing is the hang up, since it is classical, and I have not found an easy way to break them out into chapters, tagging each by composer, composition, etc.

I have all my BD rips in my library. Yes, DVDAE rips to FLAC tracks (that process is walked through by Chris in one of his academy lessons, but it is easy).

DVDAE also has metadata capability, so once you load the MakeMKV folder into DVDAE make sure you let DVDAE go out and find the tags automatically. Here is a screenshot, for example. It's the BD of XTC's Drums and Wires, found by DVDAE, which made finding the right title/layer easy too (since this disc had like 6-8 of them, including 2015 mix, original mix, bonus tracks, etc etc).

DVDAE BD rip.jpg

Thanks for the help. I need to do some reading and get a Blu Ray Drive for the computer. I've just been putting it off.

BTW Ted, Since you are the resident DSD expert, do you know if there are any plans for Classic Rock/ Pop releases on DSD128 and DSD256? To me, regular DSD doesn't sound quite right for most everything I've heard. I know there probably won't be a disc format for anything other than DSD64, but just curious.

Thanks for the help. I need to do some reading and get a Blu Ray Drive for the computer. I've just been putting it off.

BTW Ted, Since you are the resident DSD expert, do you know if there are any plans for Classic Rock/ Pop releases on DSD128 and DSD256? To me, regular DSD doesn't sound quite right for most everything I've heard. I know there probably won't be a disc format for anything other than DSD64, but just curious.

No, I do no think that classic rock/pop will be released as files above DSD64 (which most of them are simply SACD rips from the label). Not enough traction for the labels. Tools like HQPlayer (upsampeld to DSD256 and DSD512) sound great, though.

We're lucky we have Tea for the Tillerman.

Esau

Yeah, at the time (last summer) I thought Acoustic Sounds would do more, but so far not. The two Art Peppers are nice, too (jazz).

I love buying and owning music and movies on disc. I hope they'll continue to make them. Not always easy to rip the music but I'll still buy discs while I can.

Seems like downloads are slowing down and now everyone is talking about how great streaming is. I think downloads and streaming have ruined the music industry. They say 4K Blu-ray will probably be the last physical format. A shame it's all going.

Total beginner trying to follow this but not working for me. I presume that "running a disc through MakeMKV" means creating .mkv files in a folder. That bit works fine, but when I then point DVDAE at the created folder, it doesn't recognise that there is anything in the correct format in the folder to work from. Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Total beginner trying to follow this but not working for me. I presume that "running a disc through MakeMKV" means creating .mkv files in a folder. That bit works fine, but when I then point DVDAE at the created folder, it doesn't recognise that there is anything in the correct format in the folder to work from. Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

I had the exact same problem, and Ted straightened me out. Briefly, you want to set it to "Open DVD files". See this thread: http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f7-disk-storage-music-library-storage/dvd-audio-extractor-blu-rays-and-iso-images-27629/

I had the exact same problem, and Ted straightened me out. Briefly, you want to set it to "Open DVD files". See this thread: http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f7-disk-storage-music-library-storage/dvd-audio-extractor-blu-rays-and-iso-images-27629/

Thanks, that was one of the things I tried but with no joy - when I use the option to navigate to the relevant folder it shows the folder as being empty, even though it contains 4.mkv files. Just one thing, I used the " make mkv" option in MakeMKV, should I have used the "backup" option instead?

I spoke too soon..

Now I do have DVDAE working with the output for MakeMKV but with one odd twist, when I select (for example) the 2ch 24/192 stream from the Make MKV backup, the only option under "Channels" is mono . I'm using FLAC as the DVDAE output.

Any idea why DVDAE thinks its mono (when it's not...)?

OK...that 2L BluRay is now decrypted. That's the bad news. The good news is you can get the 24/192 off it, but it takes a few steps..

1) In DVDAE open up the last pulldown (AOB or decrytped file)

2) go to "stream" subfolder under BDMV and choose the mts file

3) pick the stereo layer and move on, choosing "stereo" this time (should be available). This will create ONE LARGE FLAC file. Call it OleBull.flac (please)

4) download my OleBull.cue file from here https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3487125/OleBull.cue

5) in JRiver or Foobar use their conversion capabilities to rip separate flac tracks from the cue sheet (load the cue sheet, convert to flac)

I get the cue files from cuesheet heaven. I changed the file pointer to OleBull.flac so your flac file needs to be named that.

Let us know how it goes. BTW, if you want multichannel flac AND the disc is in DTS HD MA then DVDAE will not get the highest sample rate, it defaults to the DTS core. That is a subject for another thread....but it's simply another tool that also creates a large flac file but uses the Arcsoft decoder to grab the full 24/96 or even 24/192 5.1 content.

OK...that 2L BluRay is now decrypted. That's the bad news. The good news is you can get the 24/192 off it, but it takes a few steps..

3) pick the stereo layer and move on, choosing "stereo" this time (should be available). This will create ONE LARGE FLAC file. Call it OleBull.flac (please)

4) download my OleBull.cue file from here https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3487125/OleBull.cue

5) in JRiver or Foobar use their conversion capabilities to rip separate flac tracks from the cue sheet (load the cue sheet, convert to flac)

I get the cue files from cuesheet heaven. I changed the file pointer to OleBull.flac so your flac file needs to be named that.

Let us know how it goes. BTW, if you want multichannel flac AND the disc is in DTS HD MA then DVDAE will not get the highest sample rate, it defaults to the DTS core. That is a subject for another thread....but it's simply another tool that also creates a large flac file but uses the Arcsoft decoder to grab the full 24/96 or even 24/192 5.1 content.

Ted, just wanted to take the time to thank you for your contributions to this site. You almost always provide valuable content, and go above and beyond to help other users - I've learned a lot from you!

Thanks again.

John Walker - IT Executive

Headphone - SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > Topping D90 > Topping A90d > Dan Clark Expanse / HiFiMan H6SE v2 / HiFiman Arya Stealth

Home Theater / Music -SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Denon X3700h > Anthem Amp for front channels > Revel F208-based 5.2.4 Atmos speaker system

Ted - thanks for the info. I went ahead and tried DVDAE before I saw your post above. And, yupper, you are right, as usual. Had I seen your post, it would have saved me a lot of time trying unsuccessfully to get lossless hi rez from DTS HD MA. Unfortunately, most hi rez Mch audio on BD is DTS HD MA. DVDAE might have been clearer on their site about this issue, and I told them so.

So, what I want to do is extract hi rez Mch from BDAs, obtaining chapter/track files that I can import into JRiver and tag. Sampling rates would be from 48k to 192k. JRiver's Particles is a non-starter for me using the unextracted BDs. Way too much work for a decent sized collection.

So, what else is out there that might handle this?

Well...... :)

I use something called the HD/BluRay Stream Extractor, which is a front end GUI to EAC3to.

Doom9's Forum - View Single Post - New eac3to GUI: HD-DVD/Blu-Ray Stream Extractor

The trick is that, at least in the past, you need the Arcsoft dlls to decode DTS HD MA. But MakeMKV claims their software now has it automatically in their program, so I guess if one uses their output all is well.

http://www.makemkv.com/dtshd/

Net/net, point HDBRextrcator.exe to the folder that MakeMKV made and then click on the blue "features" link, which will pull up a menu that shows the different layers of the rip. Pick Multichannel DTS HD MA (and FLAC pulldown) and it will produce step 3 above (i.e one large flac file). Follow my instructions from there.

hdbrstream.jpg

They do come out from time to time.

A good example is Tea for the Tillerman by Cat Stevens. Available as a Analog Tape to DSD 128 Download over at Acoustic Sounds.

Cat Stevens-Tea For The Tillerman-DSD Double Rate 56MHz128fs Download|Acoustic Sounds