IGNORED

What audiophile sound card?

give me some general info about your two channel system and the music pc. Is the htpc going to be another machine or a mod to the music pc. Are you open to a new receiver? Is your center channel same, better or worse compared to your l/r channels. Where does the output of your dac go on the music system?

debt_collector, FYI the reason your having to change the settings when you switch from video mode to audio mode is because your using on board device for both. When you add an audio card you can then set video for the on board device and the audio to the new card.

Jesus R

www.sonore.us

JesusR,

As far as I know, based of info from seller, the BDA-1 outputs s/pdif no matter what the input is. I can double-check that thought with Bryston.

I previously tried to connect the graphics card via HDMI v1.3 to my receiver and spdif out to my DAC. But then I found that I had to go into windows audio devices setup to select HDMI audio when playing HD video and s/pdif audio when playing stereo sound. I think I know how to set the audio to go via HDMI in my video software (am I allowed to say which one I am using?) not sure how to set the audio output to tpdif in my audio software. I would be really grateful if you could let me know how I can set it once so that they both work.

Custom built silent Media PC, Synology DS415+ NAS -> SoTM sms200Ultra/sps500  -> TAD DA1000 DAC/preamp and Bryston 4BSST2 power amp -> Harbeth SHL5 speakers and Velodyne DD10+ subwoofers. PowerQuest Carbon USB cable, Chord Company Chorus interconnects, Chord Company Signature speaker leads, Clearer Audio Silver-Line power leads

you can say what your using as the limitations are for us resellers. Also, if you ask a reseller a direct question about a product that they sell then they can comment on that. My personal motherboard has hdmi and spdif output and I can only use one at a time. Your card may be the same way. The same applied to video you pick one or the other, but if you connect the hdmi it want to do that. Some veriations apply, but that is a general rule. Adding an audio card helps and is what Im going to verify for you this morning. Keep you posted.

Jesus R

www.sonore.us

Jesus R,

I'll look forward to your update. My motherboard has HDMI and s/pdif outputs as well. I added a graphics card to improve video quality.

Are you saying that connecting the HDMI for video/audio will mean that I can set the audio devices once for HDMI audio + video and SPDIF for music? That would be my aim.

Also, I am using a media centre made programme by a well known games console manufacturer. I looked at the audio device setup and it looks like I can set it to s/pdif or HDMI for both music and video playback. Is there a way of setting a different audio device for video and music in the same media centre programme?

Thanks

Debt_collector

Custom built silent Media PC, Synology DS415+ NAS -> SoTM sms200Ultra/sps500  -> TAD DA1000 DAC/preamp and Bryston 4BSST2 power amp -> Harbeth SHL5 speakers and Velodyne DD10+ subwoofers. PowerQuest Carbon USB cable, Chord Company Chorus interconnects, Chord Company Signature speaker leads, Clearer Audio Silver-Line power leads

You can say what your using. The restrictions are for us resellers. We can also talk about our stuff if you ask us direct questions.

You asked, "Are you saying that connecting the HDMI for video/audio will mean that I can set the audio devices once for HDMI audio + video and SPDIF for music?" You have to help me with the answer because this is specific to your system. Set windows sound hdmi as default. Try one software for video with the hdmi as ouput and one software for audio with the spdif as output. Its hit or miss and let me know the results.

MY Test:

I'm using on board hdmi for video/audio and Lynx L22 audio card. I set vista's sound to hdmi as default and max bit/sample to 24/192. I ran hdmi to the processor, spdif to the processor and analog to the processor. I used cyberlink ultra 9 latest and set it to hdmi and pcm output. I played a dvd and confirmed 192 pcm audio and hdmi video. I closed that and opened J. River and set it to wav_out and output l2 as no output l1 option is given. This is important as the output l1 channel seems to be the hdmi selected in windows sounds. Not sure, but it doesn't matter. I then set the lynx output mixer software to match the l2 selection. I confirmed spdif audio and analog audio at the processor. I went back and forth and no problem and no addional settings:) The same should work with the other lynx cards, but again other manufacturers may be different.

hope this helps

Jesus R

www.sonore.us

Jesus R

I set windows sound hdmi as default. I used TotalMedia Theatre 3 Platinum for video with the hdmi as ouput. I used Xbox Media Centre for audio with the s/pdif as output (via the spdif motherboard output). I got the stero music playing. I got the HD video playing but without sound. My graphics card is Palit/XpertVision 9500 GT Super 512MB (800MHz GDDR2, GPU 550 MHz, Shader 1350 MHz, 32 Cores). could it be that this card dowsn't transmit sudio via HDMI? Debt Collector

do you want to try "remote assistance"? Go to "start" then "all programs" then "remote assistance" and send me a request for help at [email protected]

do you have both programs on at the same time? If yes don't and retry. I can't imagine that the card is not HMDI 1.2 or 1.3, but I can't find the specs on it. Also, send me a link it the product page if you have it.

In the end it may just be windows making you pick one...lets see

Jesus R

www.sonore.us

Both programmes aren't running at the same time. The grafics card I am using is http://www.scan.co.uk/Product.aspx?WebProductID=772613&source=froogle

I had a look at the menufacturer website. They ask to connect the spdif header from the motherboard to the graphics card http://www.palit.biz/main/faq_show.php?pc_cate=vga&id=101 to get audio, which I haven't done, doh! I'll try that and post results. So if I do that, do i need to select HDMI or s/pdif as the audio device?

Is this solution a good one or shall I change my graphics card to one that does LPCM 7.1 via HDMI?

I found that actual spec sheet from the manu and it does not say anything the audio. Typical

Your play back software says it Decodes: LPCM, Dolby Digital, Dolby®, TrueHD, Dolby Digital Plus, DTS Digital, DTS 96/24, DTS-ES, and DTS-HD Hi-Resolution, DTS-HD Master Audio, DTS Neo 6.

So I think your fine then I continue reading and look at what I find!!!

**ASUS Xonar HDAV series audio card required.

I told you this was tricky! Is it core dd and dts or dd-hd and dts-hd is the big question. I think your card will pass core dd and dts just fine and it should do so in 5.1 and 7.1.

Now the real tricky part!! I also think that windows will up sample the sound to 24/192 (if you set to that) and you get a simulated hd if not the real hd.

Check in the "windows sound" in "speakers settings" and "advanced" that you have 5.1 or 7.1 selected.

Jesus R

www.sonore.us

I connected the spdif from my mobo to my graphics card and i now get 5.1 & 7.1 audio with my bluray and HD rips video, yepee! How do I know whether it outputs just core dd and dts or whether it outputs the proper HD audio?

With this set up, i need to use one prog for audio and a separate prog for video. I would like to use one prog for both if possible. Are you aware of a media centre prog that can configure the audio device separately for audio and video?

Lastly, what's your view about the sound quality of the Lynx L22? Have you auditioned the ESi Julia by any chance and if so, does the L22 sound substantially better?

Thanks

Debt_collector

The six million dollar question is if its core dd and dts or if it outputs the proper HD audio! I would be guessing as I don't understand it 100% I do know that it all smells fishy. Your software is pretty clear though that it needs the zonar to work properly.

I run my rotel dvd player into my rotel processor and the 5.1 sound pretty good. If I delete the surround and center speakers in the processor and run the same movie it sounds terrible. If I run the computer into my l22 in sterio with a bluray it sounds pretty darn impressive for two channel. That card is only two channel analog, but I can check that the surround works in the mixer. If I run the computer with hdmi and pcm into my processor in 5.1 then WOW that is impressive. However, we are back where we started is it core upsampled or real bluray hd for lack of a better word. If I set the windows sound to 24/192 the processor displays 24/192 in pcm mode. If I set the windows sound to 24/96 the processor displays 24/96 in pcm mode. So you can see that windows is messing with it and that makes me thing its just upsampled. I don't know what it is, but it is impressive!

Jesus R

www.sonore.us

ps I have not heard the other card.

I think you were saying that you are using a SPDIF output from your computer's motherboard which is then connected into the graphics card and a single HDMI cable connects to your AV Receiver for Audio and Video. If this is the case then you WILL NOT be getting DTS-HD MA and DD True HD, only the "core" compressed version of each (though this is usually at a higher bit-rate than off the average DVD). It is possible that your BluRay playback software will be converting the DTS-HD MA and DD True HD (lossless) audio track to a high bit-rate DTS but this is probably unlikely. When I looked into it a few months ago, the only card that could output DTS-HD MA and DD True HD was the Asus Zonar HDAV1.3 (using Total Media Theatre 3 software) though I think there is now also the Auzentech X-Fi Home Theatre HD card (utilising Cyberlink PowerDVD). If I recall correctly - any other HDMI output supporting audio is either down-sampled PCM or lossy bit-streaming. A better place to be asking this would be one of the Home Theatre forums such at www.avsforums.com or www.htguide.com or www.avforums.com (the first two US based the latter a UK site).

As for your original query - IF you want to allow full 5/7.1 for movies AND also a high quality audiophile card to connect to your Bryston, you could try having 2 cards. The first is for 5/7.1 (the Asus or Auzentech if you want HDMI audio) you set as the default card. The second card you install ASIO drivers for and use this with J.River or FooBar 2k or possibly Media Monkey (though some people say the ASIO plugin for Media Monkey is flawed) for music playback into your Bryston. I've not tried this myself - but it seams like it should work.

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

• 4 months later...