IGNORED

ROON what a nightmare for me.

ejlif

David is right, Roon is good stuff for music lovers and audiophiles! But... it is not for everyone.

Just my $0.02, but to get audiophile quality out of Roon, you need HQPlayer, which is also stellar software. But not at all easy to use, unless of course, you put it together with Roon.

I personally decided not to go with Roon at this time. It they are still around in a couple years, then I will reconsider.

I am not sure I want to go through as much trouble and expense it requires to really take advantage of Roon right now. And I am an iOS iPad (Pro) kinda guy. Give them time to get over being the new guy who has to be different.

:)

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

Well, reading this thread I see a lot of frustration. I understand. Coming from a deep usage of the iTunes ecosystem, some things are just not going to map exactly (eg track ratings). There are also limitations to Roon playlists at the moment.

Additionally, there's some misunderstanding of how TIDAL works with Roon - yes an instantaneous link would be nice but frankly unworkable, but for that small delay you instead get absolutely seamless integration of TIDAL and your library. It is fantastic and there's nothing out there (yet) that comes close.

More importantly, a 12,000 album library such as the original poster's would benefit tremendously from the metadata features in Roon.

My point is: it should work for you, but you will have to adjust your habits/expectations a bit. In exchange for that you will get:

1- Incredibly deep metadata for your huge library (yuge is not a word!)

2- Seamless TIDAL integration

3- Amazing zone playing capabilities

4- A support team that really wants to solve problems

That's my opinion anyway.

NUC10i7 + Roon ROCK > dCS Rossini APEX DAC + dCS Rossini Master Clock 

SME 20/3 + SME V + Dynavector XV-1s or ANUK IO Gold > vdH The Grail or Kondo KSL-SFz + ANK L3 Phono 

Audio Note Kondo Ongaku > Avantgarde Duo Mezzo

Signal cables: Kondo Silver, Crystal Cable phono

Power cables: Kondo, Shunyata, van den Hul

system pics

And I am an iOS iPad (Pro) kinda guy.

Mine is winging its way from Chengdu as I write this. The engraving delayed it a bit.

(Sorry for the OT.)

--David

Listening Room: Mac mini (Roon Core) > iMac (HQP) > exaSound PlayPoint (as NAA) > exaSound e32 > W4S STP-SE > Benchmark AHB2 > Wilson Sophia Series 2 (Details)

Office: Mac Pro >  AudioQuest DragonFly Red > JBL LSR305

Mobile: iPhone 6S > AudioQuest DragonFly Black > JH Audio JH5

I settled on Roon in the end despite the steep price point after trying many alternatives:

- enjoy reading the background information

- easy navigation including from iPad

- gets most out of my IFI DSD Micro without any hassle - sounds terrific with my i7 Mac mini

- easy to integrate other devices on your network - in my case Zeppelin - listening to something different

- no need to go to SSD as memory buffering is efficient - playing back from a basic 2TB external USB 3 hard disc

- you can see the development that goes

- great support

What else do you want?

David is right, Roon is good stuff for music lovers and audiophiles! But... it is not for everyone.

Just my $0.02, but to get audiophile quality out of Roon, you need HQPlayer, which is also stellar software. But not at all easy to use, unless of course, you put it together with Roon.

I personally decided not to go with Roon at this time. It they are still around in a couple years, then I will reconsider.

I am not sure I want to go through as much trouble and expense it requires to really take advantage of Roon right now. And I am an iOS iPad (Pro) kinda guy. Give them time to get over being the new guy who has to be different.

I tend to agree with Paul here. I get why so many are excited with the software (yes, I tried it) but found it was not for me. Not now anyway. Like the OP, my experience, while not as bad, was less-than-stellar. Perhaps I will revisit in time.

• 2 weeks later...

I have 29000+ tracks,2100+albums,1100+ artists,123 composers, 2700+ works and 100+playlists

I have never had a problem with ROON,ROON plus TIDAL and my trial with HQPlayer was superb

The sound quality is far superior to TIDAL alone or with Amarra

Support is excellent

It did take several hours for ROON to transfer and collate my iTunes Library and it even incorporated any new playlists i make(KOODOS to WG) and sounds far better than iTunes especially my newly discovered 96/24 recordings(again KOODOS to WG)

I don't understand what this poor fellow has for a problem but he should give it 'one more shot'(sorry Rick Danko)

• 4 months later...

You need HQ Player even if your dac upsamples better than the filters in HQ Player?

Interesting points. Just last night, I decided to try integrating HQ Player with Roon and used it for several hours. As you can see from my signature line, I also use Dirac, and for this test I directed the output of HQP to Dirac.

The results I got were not very pleasing to me. At the end of the evening, I much preferred the sound of Roon without the added HQP filter, which I found hid a lot of detail and muddied the sound.

I was playing Redbook files, both local and streaming through Tidal, and I experimented with a couple of upsampling rates (96 and 192) as well as leaving it at 44.1. I compared the same files, multiple times, both with and without HQP. I did not, however, try adjusting any other settings on HQP. So obviously, I suppose, someone might make suggestions to improve HQP's performance versus Roon alone, but right out of the gate it left a poor first impression. (Obligatory caveats: "On my system, in my room, to my ears. YMMV." And my use of Dirac could also have had an impact.)

Interesting points. Just last night, I decided to try integrating HQ Player with Roon and used it for several hours. As you can see from my signature line, I also use Dirac, and for this test I directed the output of HQP to Dirac.

The results I got were not very pleasing to me. At the end of the evening, I much preferred the sound of Roon without the added HQP filter, which I found hid a lot of detail and muddied the sound.

I was playing Redbook files, both local and streaming through Tidal, and I experimented with a couple of upsampling rates (96 and 192) as well as leaving it at 44.1. I compared the same files, multiple times, both with and without HQP. I did not, however, try adjusting any other settings on HQP. So obviously, I suppose, someone might make suggestions to improve HQP's performance versus Roon alone, but right out of the gate it left a poor first impression. (Obligatory caveats: "On my system, in my room, to my ears. YMMV." And my use of Dirac could also have had an impact.)

Just my two cents. I have one DAC, the T&A DAC 8 that is wonderful with Roon-->HQP-->upsampled to DSD512 and my main DAC, an MSB Diamond V that by sounds best using JRiver without any upsampling; kind of sucks with HQP and I find JRiver is the much better player than Roon direct.

So your caveat regarding "your system" is definitely many of us find. I am not familiar with your current DACS but I am sure your observations are consistent with many others on these threads, including myself.

I have a one year membership with Roon. I love the fact that I can integrate my files with a streaming service, but:

- I prefer using AllMusic for artist info and reviews, as the Tidal catalogue is limited.

- lack of remote access is limiting, as there again, I am not so fond of using the Tidal app, and separate apps for streaming and local files

- I have a both a chromecast and a USB rig connected to my amps. I would love to get rid of USB, and stick to the CCA, which has great SQ, but Roon does not support it (yet).

I use Google play music outside of my home (I travel a lot for work) , and I find it really convenient and user friendly (have uploaded most of my albums and subscribe to the service, which is only 10 euros per month).

Were it not for the fact that Googleplay is limited to 320kb MP3, I would not have subscribed to Roon.

I will reconsider Roon in 10 months. Hopefully by then they will have provided a clear picture of where they are heading and what features will be developed.

Roon has a remote app for iOS and Android.

Roon client on iPad/MacBookPro

Roon Server & HQPlayer on Mac Mini 2.0 GHz i7 with JS-2

LPS-1 & ultraRendu → Lampizator Atlantic → Bent Audio TAP-X → Atma-sphere M60 → Zero autoformers → Harbeth Compact 7 ES-3

Wow, I don't want to sound like a fanboy, but Roon on a tablet is hands down the best user interface for playing music that I've ever used. Combined with HQplayer SQ is incredible.

It is surprising to hear people denigrating it. What am I missing?

Sent from my XT1575 using Computer Audiophile mobile app

Yes, great on a tablet, and good SQ, but there are other aspects as well.

It is a shame that the title of this thread is so negative.

No, you can connect to a complete install as well. I did that first.

LPS-1 & ultraRendu → Lampizator Atlantic → Bent Audio TAP-X → Atma-sphere M60 → Zero autoformers → Harbeth Compact 7 ES-3

Ok, talking about different things. Correct – no remote access to local library. Planned for a future release I think.

The remote control app: you can connect to both Server and Core install.

Ok, talking about different things. Correct – no remote access to local library. Planned for a future release I think.

The remote control app: you can connect to both Server and Core install.

Thanks for clarifying. At this point, a lot of features are being requested, and there is no indication of what features will be available and when.

I have a one year membership with Roon. I love the fact that I can integrate my files with a streaming service, but:

- I prefer using AllMusic for artist info and reviews, as the Tidal catalogue is limited.

- lack of remote access is limiting, as there again, I am not so fond of using the Tidal app, and separate apps for streaming and local files

- I have a both a chromecast and a USB rig connected to my amps. I would love to get rid of USB, and stick to the CCA, which has great SQ, but Roon does not support it (yet).

I use Google play music outside of my home (I travel a lot for work) , and I find it really convenient and user friendly (have uploaded most of my albums and subscribe to the service, which is only 10 euros per month).

Were it not for the fact that Googleplay is limited to 320kb MP3, I would not have subscribed to Roon.

I will reconsider Roon in 10 months. Hopefully by then they will have provided a clear picture of where they are heading and what features will be developed.

If you install Airparrot on your PC you should be able to cast Roon to CCA.