IGNORED

DIY cable question 75 ohm

So i am looking through my cables that i have acquired over the years, and came across a pair of what appear to be standard RCA cables with red and white color on collar of connector.

i don't know what the specs normally are on rca cables but i think they used digital coax cable for rca cables?

the cable says cablestation hi - definition 24awg 75ohm coax cable (has some other mumbo jumbo also ul usa cl2 uv resistant)....

my main question is about the 75 ohm coax. i thought 75ohm coax is what is used for digital coax cables (like for digital inputs).

do they use the same cable (or can they use the same) for rca analog? Are these fine to use for regular rca analog audio cables?

Man you are inquisitive. The coax RG-59 or RG-6 cable can work fine as an analog cable.

The conductor is solid core copper. No silver plate. Usually foamed insulator. The return or ground is tinned copper braid and foil.

Hook it up and give it a listen. Should be fine.

2012 Mac Mini, i5 - 2.5 GHz, 16 GB RAM. SSD,  PM/PV software, Focusrite Clarett 4Pre 4 channel interface. Daysequerra M4.0X Broadcast monitor., My_Ref Evolution rev a , Klipsch La Scala II, Blue Sky Sub 12

Clarett used as ADC for vinyl rips.

Corning Optical Thunderbolt cable used to connect computer to 4Pre. Dac fed by iFi iPower and Noise Trapper isolation transformer. 

For better theoretical performance coaxial ICs should have 0.4mm or less (solid) core conductor and the thickest possible foam for lower capacitance and lower dielectric absorption.

R

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

Most reasonable coax RCA unbalanced analog audio interconnects have a 75 Ohm Radio Frequency Characteristic Impedance. Whether it's marked on the cable or not.

Why? Because it's often easier and more economical to manufacture cables that end up with a 75 Ohm impedance.

Not necessarily 75 ohms

Many cables such as at the attached link which are used in commercial interconnects are not 75 ohms.

Single Core OFC Screened Audio Cable | AV | Coaxial Cable | Wire, Cable & Accessories | PRODUCTS | WB1508 | Jaycar Electronics

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

And in any case 65 Ohms is close enough to 75 Ohms for a 5 meter (maybe 10 meter) digital cord.

Only if you believe it doesn't matter !

Some people believe that typical RCA plugs are fine on 75 ohm digital leads too.

(I use this cable for my own DIY interconnect cables, but not for digital cables.)

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

You got it backwards. You have to believe for there to be a difference.

The digital circuit won't know the difference.

pigsonthewing.jpg

Many people report improvements when using RCA plugs that more closely meet a 75 ohms impedance, and even more prefer to use digital leads with genuine 75 ohm impedance BNC connectors at both ends .

Unfortunately, it's not always feasible to replace an RCA socket in commercial gear with a genuine 75 ohms BNC socket.