IGNORED

Afi+USB-Module - USB-Interface, Isolator and Re-Clocker

The Artistic Fidelity Isolator plus USB-Module is probably the most enhanced and thought through USB interface I have yet come across, for sure it is for me the most revealing and sounding of such devices!

This DDC strictly speaking consists of two devices: the external USB-Module (powered by the computer's USB port) and the Afi itself (powered by an external PSU).

My Mac mini is connected via a short USB cable to the external USB-Module, the module is connected via three 2 meter long (!) fibre optical cables (FOCs) to the Afi which outputs the re-clocked digital audio signal via an RJ45-to-AES/EBU adapter cable to my T+A DAC8.

The reason for this set-up is:

a) Isolation from the computer source

The one of the three fibre optical cables carrying the audio stream from the USB-Module towards the Afi has no direct electrical pathway for High Frequency (HF) noise from the computer. The USB-Module and the Afi itself are completely galvanic isolated from the computer.

b) Re-Clocking

The 2nd FOC from the Afi towards the USB-Module contains the new clock signal generated by high precision oscillators in the Afi - completely independant from the computer.

The 3rd FOC from the Afi towards the USB-Module transmits the switching signal for each of the sampling rate family multipliers either 44.1 or 48 kHz based.

The Afi itself outputs the re-clocked audio signal in the RJ45 Ethercon format hence requires an adapter cable to connect to my T+A DAC via AES/EBU port.

The sonic result of this set-up is simply stunning, instruments and voices sound much more natural and organic than ever before in my set-up when having connected the mini via 2 Jitterbugs and 1 Regen Amber to the DAC8' s USB port. Yes, there is much more black and quiet background, instruments and voices can be much better separated and followed during a song. They sound as if I am in a Live performance in my living room!

No artefacts, not the slightest sign of steril digital sound anymore but a much more analog presentation from a digital music source..., what a dream coming true! I am sorry for my emotions and enthusiasm here but I think I have found the ultimate USB interface for my set-up.

It costs €1.220 = $1.365 incl. adapter cable - for sure not cheap - but it is in my opinion worth every €/$.

More detailed information can be obtained from the German Manufacturer's website under http://www.artistic-fidelity.de

Best Regards, Raimund

Living Room

Apple Mac mini Mid 2011 (MacOS Sierra 10.12.6, 64 GB OWC SSD, 16 GB OWC RAM, iTunes 12.9, Pure Music 3.09c) -> artistic fidelity USB cable -> artistic fidelity External USB-Module -> 3 Fibre Optical Cables -> artistic fidelity afis / arfi-psu -> artistic fidelity RJ45 cable -> artistic fidelity arfi-dac2 / arfi-psu -> artistic fidelity XLR-to-BNC cable -> Bakoon HPA-21 Headamp + Sennheiser HD 800

Home Office

Apple Mac mini End 2018 (MacOS Mojave 10.14.6, 128 GB SSD, 8 GB RAM, Audirvana 3.5.19) -> artistic fidelity USB cable -> Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 Digital / Pro-Ject Accu Box S2 USB PSU -> Abacus C-Box 2 Active Speakers

The 3rd FOC from the Afi towards the USB-Module transmits the switching signal for each of the sampling rate family multipliers either 44.1 or 48 kHz based.

Correction to above: the data do obviously flow from the USB-Module to the Afi and not as described above in the other direction as otherwise the Afi would not 'know' which of the two oscillators to use for re-clocking.

Let me also point out one more thing, the reason why I think the Afi + USB-Module is so good is its ability to eliminate the HF noise very efficiently which acc. to his developer Ralf Koschnicke from ACOUSENCE is the reason why USB-audio so far did not sound as good as it could.

I believe the Jitterbugs, Regens, Mutecs and other conventional USB-interfaces or Re-Clockers are all very good at filtering, signal rebuilding, re-clocking and even isolating. Not a single of these devices however eliminate the HF-noise from the computer as consequently and efficiently as the ACOUSENCE Afi + USB-Module does through its two device design and the use of the 3 Optical Fibre Cables between them.

This is the unique design difference beteeen this USB-interface and the competition which in my honest opinion let the Afi + USB-Module shine so bright in sound.

Best Regards, Raimund

Living Room

Apple Mac mini Mid 2011 (MacOS Sierra 10.12.6, 64 GB OWC SSD, 16 GB OWC RAM, iTunes 12.9, Pure Music 3.09c) -> artistic fidelity USB cable -> artistic fidelity External USB-Module -> 3 Fibre Optical Cables -> artistic fidelity afis / arfi-psu -> artistic fidelity RJ45 cable -> artistic fidelity arfi-dac2 / arfi-psu -> artistic fidelity XLR-to-BNC cable -> Bakoon HPA-21 Headamp + Sennheiser HD 800

Home Office

Apple Mac mini End 2018 (MacOS Mojave 10.14.6, 128 GB SSD, 8 GB RAM, Audirvana 3.5.19) -> artistic fidelity USB cable -> Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 Digital / Pro-Ject Accu Box S2 USB PSU -> Abacus C-Box 2 Active Speakers

Aww go on someone. One and a third dollars (that's less than a pound over here!) And obviously it's the best. Even gets rid of HF-noise! Alex....John S...anyone...?

I know the Afi + USB-Module is NOT cheap but the sound in my eyes is worth the price. I tried the Regen, the Jitterbugs, all the Mutecs, I could unfortunately never get my hands on a BADA USB test unit - they are not selling in the EU -, they all do not provide the level of analog sound as the Afi + USB-Module does.

You do not need to believe my statements of course, I suggest you have a listen to a test device and convince yourself of this in my opinion break through concept.

Best Regards, Raimund

Living Room

Home Office

You may approach Mr. Koschnicke by E-Mail, please see the contact details on the Artistic Fidelity (ACOUSENCE) website. Also a lot of background info is mentioned there with respect to the Afi(s) design concept incl. the choice of the RJ45 Ethercon output format. The later unfortunately only available in German language in chapter 'Options'. The RJ45 Ethercon output is unusal in the world of HiFi products but a quite interesting format contributing to the elimination of the HF-noise from the computer.

Best Regards, Raimund

Living Room

Home Office

• 3 months later...

Pictures of the AFI+USB-Module and other products of the Germany based 'Artistic Fidelity' brand are now available on the following web-page:

https://www.cm-audio.net/artistic-fidelity

Although described in German language only the detailed pictures of the 2-piece unit and its connections should make things much more clear on how the USB conversion, isolation and re-clocking functions work so well.

Still this USB-interface amazes me very much in my every day listening, it is so damn natural and good sounding free of any digital artefacts!

Best Regards, Raimund

Living Room

Home Office

Hi Mike,

the Artistic Fidelity 'AFIS' listening matrix appears to be the right product for your needs as it provides the RJ45 Ethernet input and an AES/EBU output, please see a picture of the backside of the 'AFIS' when following the link below:

http://abload.de/img/afis_rckseitef6jsj.png

You could also combine the 'AFIS' with the separate USB-Module as you can with the 'AFI' product (without the S in the name) when connecting to a computer.

One further Artistic Fidelity product could be of interest for you - their 'GISO' LAN Isolator - which provides full galvanic isolation of the incoming RJ45 ethernet signal.

I still suggest you contact Ralf Koschnicke directly in case you have further, more detailed questions.

I am just one of his very happy customers...

Best Regards, Raimund

Living Room

Home Office

• 1 month later...

I am sure you won't be disappointed! Please share your listening impression as soon as you will have received your unit.

Best Regards, Raimund

Living Room

Home Office

• 3 months later...

Yes, there are adapter boxes available with SPDIF or BNC output (to connect to your DAC) and RJ45 Ethercon input (to connect to the Afi). Remember: the Afi has only one output - RJ45 Ethercon - wheras the Afis has two outputs of choice.

Best Regards, Raimund

Living Room

Home Office

• 4 months later...

As mentioned further up in the thread I did compare the Afi USB to the Mutec MC-3+ USB - but never to the BADA Alpha USB - and found the Afi way better in terms of natural, analog sound and instrument/voice separation and black background.

For info: The Afi's USB module has been further updated and is now available with a switch to change between an external 5V power or internal power connection through the computer's/streamer's USB bus.

Best Regards,

Raimund

Best Regards, Raimund

Living Room

Home Office

8 hours ago, *progear said:

Just read through the first pages of the Mutec MC3+ thread, your impressions may be similar.

One can certainly learn a lot about viral marketing and religion when browsing through audio forums. 

One can also see that some products do not travel as easily across the pond, especially when it comes to tiny companies i.e. one man shows. 

Sometimes you may just find that a happy customer wants to share his happiness with others...

Btw: I think Raimund is right in just anything he has said about the Afi, it is superb!

That's exactly right. I am indeed 'just' a happy customer and, yes, I am an ambassador of this great product w/o having any further business relation to the brand 'Artistic Fidelity' or its owner other than that I purchased their product.

I am simply convinced by the Afi's sound and unique concept of isolating, converting and re-clocking of the digital datastream coming from a computer source.

Don't believe it? Don't buy it!

If someone is interested in such device I recommend you should give it a try, the 'Afi' is very competitive however and as also mentioned before it is not cheap either.

Best Regards,

Raimund

Best Regards, Raimund

Living Room

Home Office