IGNORED

Afi+USB-Module - USB-Interface, Isolator and Re-Clocker

To those who have used the Afi + USB module and also use a Mutec MC-3+, have you found there is a benefit to adding the Mutec MC-3+ or Mutec MC-3+ USB?

Thanks,

Joel

Hi Joel,

I have a cascade of 2 MC-3+ USB I am very happy with. I had the opportunity to test the Acousence AFIS-USB. There is in my opinion no interest to stack them. The AFIS-USB (AFI-USB is the exact same if you are interested in only one input) does a perfect job alone. As stated at the beginning of this thread, and this is my understanding too, the unique restitution quality of Acousence is linked to the perfect galvanic isolation provided by the optical connections.

Hi Swissbear,

Thanks for the reply. So, just to be clear, not only would you not use two MC-3+ USB's with the AFIS-USB, you wouldn't use one MC-3+ USB with the AFIS-USB either, is that right?

Joel

Correct. Just try this piece of HW and you will be stunned IMHO.

On top of that, Ralf Koschnicke, the owner of Acousence, is a very nice man, very competent in the field of digital music, who runs his own digitization studio. He personally cares for his customers, which is not the case at Mutec where you do not always get answers to your questions. This service is, in my opinion, a very valuable part of the customer experience :-).

looks like a new commercial advertising to enter in the niche of USB /spdif isolator / reclocker etc.. :)

the sonore way to get a clean USB data by building it instead of cleaning it seems for me the right solution.

The best way to go probably is to avoid USB at all ; but this is not easy to achieve is you want to stick to your Mac. Then apart from the mystery piece of HW everybody is excited about and nobody has ever heard (µR), the only sensible way, for someone who believes what he/she sees/hears, is to go with Mutec or AFI-USB. Mutec is nice but AFI-USB is better IMHO.

i'm sure the Afis like the muted help but i'm not sure it will dispense to " tweak" the computer side ( hardware , power supply ,etc..) like the sonore stuff will probably do. ( in theory for the moment )..

Hi Juanitox,

After testing for myself, I can assure you that it does actually dispense to tweak the computer side. My MacMini is off the shelf, and it did a splendid job. Removing the HF perturbation is exactly what this device has been designed for. And it allows, IMHO, a greater flexibility in terms of choosing the player, for a price which, if you compare apple to apple (deduct the European VAT on one side, add a good LPSU on the other), is very similar.

Enjoy the µR when it is available :-)

A simple photo would provide this information, or a link to manual in German or English, preferably both.

Hi One and a Half,

Here you are (probably still a prototype at this stage, but gives an idea of the construction) : aktives-hoeren.de • Thema anzeigen - Acousence afi(s) und afi(s) USB

I will leave up to Ralf to answer on the connections. Just a precision : the RJ-45 Ralf uses is just a way of transporting signal with lower interference and echo on the cable itself compared to AES/EBU cable. It just needs a small adapter at the end of the cable to get the appropriate connection to AES/EBU or BNC. Price for the adapter is minimal (25 EUR if not mistaken). You can also order the output cable with the appropriate connection ; it will be shipped with an RJ-45 connection to the device and an AES-EBU connection to your DAC.

One and a half, I'm getting the impression that you're dissecting the specifications of this brand new product on micro level to early? With true respect for you enthusiasm and interest, wouldn't it make more sense to focus on the musical joy first?

I hope you keep in mind that Acousense isn't a big brand company with ditto marketing department en product launch preparations, luckily it isn't :-) Also hope you appreciate the already extensive information on the website (given the solder inside is still hot), the German forum, as well as the personal involvement of Ralf.

Totally agree with you. And even more so since the absence of DSD support is a show stopper :-)