IGNORED

Changing from RCA to XLR, which cables should i buy?

My transparent interconnects are a very tight fit on the RCA inputs on my amp. They got locked so tight I had to use heat on the collet to free it up. I was thinking of buying male and female bnc converters to create a better connection at that point.

Are they locking RCA's or regular ones that are just too tight? If they are not locking, some RCA connectors offer some adjustment for how tight the outer ring gets. Either way, most of the time they are difficult to remove due to tarnishing. If you unplug them every 3 months or so, and clean them with contact cleaner, you shouldn't have any more problems. Depending on how dirty they are, you may notice an improvement in SQ.

Are they locking RCA's or regular ones that are just too tight? If they are not locking, some RCA connectors offer some adjustment for how tight the outer ring gets. Either way, most of the time they are difficult to remove due to tarnishing. If you unplug them every 3 months or so, and clean them with contact cleaner, you shouldn't have any more problems. Depending on how dirty they are, you may notice an improvement in SQ.

Right, they are locking. Push them on to the RCA and turn the collet CCW to snug them up. The damn things are polished smooth and hard to grasp. Maybe I have to use a little finesse and stop reefing them down like a Norwegian farm hand.

That I ask questions? I am more concerned about being stupid than looking like I might be.

I have owned the WBT collet RCA and didn't like them so much. My favorite RCA connectors are the Neutrik Profi. The have a sliding shield to make ground contact first. Plug on firmly and simply without a collet and the split fingers maintain excellent contact.

So whether RCA or xlr go with Neutrik.

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

I have owned the WBT collet RCA and didn't like them so much. My favorite RCA connectors are the Neutrik Profi. The have a sliding shield to make ground contact first. Plug on firmly and simply without a collet and the split fingers maintain excellent contact.

Ironically you mention a feature which is unimportant in domestic HiFi (ensuring ground contact first is designed to stop "thumps" when you plug or unplug a "live" cable); yet fail to mention the arguably more important feature of Neutrik connectors - the strain relief chuck!

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Ironically you mention a feature which is unimportant in domestic HiFi (ensuring ground contact first is designed to stop "thumps" when you plug or unplug a "live" cable); yet fail to mention the arguably more important feature of Neutrik connectors - the strain relief chuck!

True enough. The Neutrik does have excellent strain relief. Excellent plug all the way around. While ground first shouldn't matter at home many is the time someone forgets something is on to their pre amp when they plug it in our take it out. So that anti-boobytrap feature is a thoughtful bit of design. Sometimes we need protection from ourselves.

One reason I don't like the locking collets is even substantial RCA plugs can loosen over time because stiff cables locked on transfer torque to the plug.

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality.