IGNORED

SQ of Audirvana Plus 2.4 vs. previous versions

wwaldmanfan

Audirvana Plus has been my music player of choice since version 1.4.9.7. I always configure it the same way: Playing AIFF files with Mavericks in drag-and-drop playlist mode. Exclusive Access Mode, Direct Mode, Integer Mode 1 on, no forced upsampling, no volume dithering, no AudioUnits, System Optimizer on.

The SQ change between v2.4 and the previous versions (most recent 2.3.3.8) is much more pronounced to my ear than between any previous updates. On both my speaker rig and my headphone rig, the sound is much more forward, and much heavier in the low end, actually louder overall at the same volume settings on my amps. The level of detail and separation of instruments is excellent, maybe better than ever, but the overall boomy sonic effect is somewhat fatiguing.

Is it just me? Please comment on the SQ of v2.4.

I agree with your analysis. 2.4 improves the sound but the low base is excessively boomy.

One of the tracks I use to demo my system is the "If I were a Rich Man" track on the 192.24 HD Tracks download. While my guests were impressed with the sound quality, I very much noticed the boominess on deep material that was not present in the prior A+ version.

I think the best thing to do for Damien, is to do updates of A+ separately ...

Updates only for the design and bugs related to it,

and updates only for audio enhancement.

That way if you don't like the SQ for a version, you can always go back to the one before

without losing all the bugs related to the design that were made :-)

If You Got Ears, You Gotta ListenCaptain Beefheart

MacMini, 4xi3 3.6GHz, SSD, 20Gb, macOS 12.0 > Audirvana Studio 1.6 >

Wyred DAC2 DSD Special Edition > Proceed AMP2 > Focal Cobalt 826 Signature Series >

Audirvana Remote > iPhone 11

I think the best thing to do for Damien, is to do updates of A+ separately ...

Updates only for the design and bugs related to it,

and updates only for audio enhancement.

That way if you don't like the SQ for a version, you can always go back to the one before

without losing all the bugs related to the design that were made :-)

I did not read the release notes for v2.4, so not sure if deliberate SQ enhancements were made. I assumed the update concerned incorporating Qobuz streaming and better implementation of remote control. Neither feature interests me.

It's a simple matter to run an older version, but I am struck by how different 2.4 sounds vs. the previous iterations. We used to discuss this at length with version 1.x.x, but the differences in those days were a lot more subtle.

Damien doesn't speak too much about the sound changes in every version of A+ IF they are some :-)

People seems to find differences each time a version is out for better or less better :-)

So if he does only sound changes in a release, people will be sure that they are some changes there...

and if you don't like them, you can switch back to earlier.

Me too i don't care for streaming things... i care for the Remote, and i just miss one thing now is the be able to see my album by year instead of by name order. I think also fast small changes is more fun than to wait 3 or 4 months to discover that the ones you wanted weren't not there :-)

Wyred DAC2 DSD Special Edition > Proceed AMP2 > Focal Cobalt 826 Signature Series >

With separate audio updates, you can satisfy more people i think

because everyone as different equipments and settings so maybe to boomy here, but for others perfect...

though to please everyone, but when you can keep the version you like without sacrificying the GUI is best of both worlds.

User wrote another thread named "JRiver Media Centre for Mac" ..

"I just downloaded the trial for this ....I have found it to be very good so far. I prefer it to Audirvana which although I liked it for small periods found to be tiring and harsh. MC seems a lot warmer. I also noticed that some recordings which sounded a bit scratchy on A+ sounded fine on MC. I'm not sure why this should be but on my system it definitely seems to be the case. I also prefer it to Amarra because it works better and without hassle."

A+ 2.4 sounded good on my system but I'm encountering something strange regarding some recorodings too! Which is similar to- "noticed that some recordings which sounded a bit scratchy on A+ sounded fine on MC". Basically, in my situation A+ sounded thin with harshness and low gain .. Really strange !!