IGNORED

s/pdif v standard cables

wayneennis1000

I have bought a set of 5.1 speakers. They are connected to an Asus Essence STX II sound card. I have 3 ways of connecting the speakers

1) Standard green, black and orange cables

2) Via s/pdif and choosing Dolby Digital Live

3) Via s/pdif and chossing PCM

Which one will be my best option out of the 3 of them? I play PC games, watch movies and listen to music.

I have bought a set of 5.1 speakers. They are connected to an Asus Essence STX II sound card. I have 3 ways of connecting the speakers

1) Standard green, black and orange cables

2) Via s/pdif and choosing Dolby Digital Live

3) Via s/pdif and chossing PCM

Which one will be my best option out of the 3 of them? I play PC games, watch movies and listen to music.

Probably spdif. Dolby Digital live will give you the full 5.1 effect. Moves, some games that is what you want.

Stereo music you might need to do PCM. If it is a setting, then not a big deal to swap back and forth.

The standard cables would work too. I think you might avoid some noise with the digital route and you only need one cable.

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

Probably spdif. Dolby Digital live will give you the full 5.1 effect. Moves, some games that is what you want.

Stereo music you might need to do PCM. If it is a setting, then not a big deal to swap back and forth.

The standard cables would work too. I think you might avoid some noise with the digital route and you only need one cable.

The analogue outputs might be preferable for games due to lower latency.