IGNORED

Any cheap preamps that dont do any processing?

Thanks. I missed that (although I was suspicious it was the case). For me, I only need the extra output for my outdoor speakers, which I rarely use. But for people who have to hook their subs up that way, it makes me wonder what they were thinking.

Thanks. I missed that (although I was suspicious it was the case). For me, I only need the extra output for my outdoor speakers, which I rarely use. But for people who have to hook their subs up that way, it makes me wonder what they were thinking.
I think they would have to design a completely different output stage which would add complexity and add to the cost.
I have to disagree. I bought this thinking it would be an easy, transparent way for my wife to switch to CD playback in my computer system. She rejected it out of hand. Dry and compressed.

In my system I also found the Schiit transparent. It's a true passive, so it may work well in some systems and not in others. It's not suited for what beerandmusic wants, as he wants the possiblilty of simultaneous output to sub and amp.

You need to look for an preamp with a subwoofer out; I'm sure you can find one on the second hand market.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

In my system I also found the Schiit transparent. It's a true passive, so it may work well in some systems and not in others. It's not suited for what beerandmusic wants, as he wants the possiblilty of simultaneous output to sub and amp.

You need to look for an preamp with a subwoofer out; I'm sure you can find one on the second hand market.

but don't all preamps add something to the signal, even with tone defeated? i just want to pass the signal and nothing else...you can't use a Y cable probably because that would be putting resistance in parallel circuits?

but don't all preamps add something to the signal, even with tone defeated? i just want to pass the signal and nothing else...you can't use a Y cable probably because that would be putting resistance in parallel circuits?

If the inputs are high impedance the Y cable should be fine. It certainly won't break anything so it's safe to try and see.

LOL, wgscott - do you agree to agree?

I think we need to have some sort of argument over this, dragging in all sorts of tangental and irrelevant points, and end it by invoking archaic computer systems upon which we learned our first operating system on a computer with 1MB RAM and a gerbil in a wheel as a power supply.

If the inputs are high impedance the Y cable should be fine. It certainly won't break anything so it's safe to try and see.

the inputs or the outputs?

what should i check?

dac out = ud503

velodyne in = hgs12

mac in = mc152

i am thinking my normal path will be using the dac xlr out to the mac xlr in, but when i want the BASS, switch to

dac rca out to

Y to

mac rca in

velodyne rca in

I think we need to have some sort of argument over this, dragging in all sorts of tangental and irrelevant points, and end it by invoking archaic computer systems upon which we learned our first operating system on a computer with 1MB RAM and a gerbil in a wheel as a power supply.

Oh, so it's violent agreement you want, huh! You got it! ?

Pareto Audio aka nuckleheadaudio

OK. Here is a 100% serious recommendation. Use the 503 pre as your pre.

Either use the Y-adapter RCA, or get a sub that lets you do speaker-level input (spend the money on the new sub rather than the pre, if you for some reason can't stand the Y-adaptor solution).

Either way, don't get a separate pre-amp unless you need one for some other reason.

ROTFL: this thread: I want a preamp that doesn't do anything but OBTW, I want surround sound :)

"My budget is $0... Ooops I just splurged $4,000 on a pre-amp! Wait, no, I called them back and asked for the $10,000 model!"

:D :D :P

Dedicated Line DSD/DXD | Audirvana+ | iFi iDSD Nano | SET Tube Amp | Totem Mites

Surround: VLC | M-Audio FastTrack Pro | Mac Opt | Panasonic SA-HE100 | Logitech Z623

DIY: SET Tube Amp | Low-Noise Linear Regulated Power Supply | USB, Power, Speaker Cables | Speaker Stands | Acoustic Panels

Yes to the first sentence. For the rest of it, you should be OK splitting the signal with the equipment you have. Personally, I don't care for the Y connectors. Monster makes T connectors that are just solid blocks of metal with 3 RCA connectors on them. They're not expensive and you should be able to get them at BB. If splitting the signal doesn't work well for some reason, you can always use your NAD to get by. The amp and preamp sections are jumped externally, and that allows you to use it just as a preamp. But if you're using a quality source with a volume control, they anticipate that the component will be used in a wide variety of applications, and should provide you with enough clean gain to run 2 pairs of interconnects with no problem (balanced or SE). Sometimes, depending on the DAC, they will give you global gain settings just for this reason. You should check the manual, because they are usually internal and won't be visible.

i am thinking my normal path will be using the dac xlr out to the mac xlr in, but when i want the BASS, switch to dac rca out to Y to mac rca in velodyne rca in

You're making this too complicated. There are many passive devices that split a stereo line level input into 2 or more stereo outputs with level controls for each. They run from $25 up to 4 figures and can be as simple as this $50 ART SplitMix4 (with TRS 1/4" jacks)

SplitMix4-large.jpg

or this $60 ART MacroMix (with RCA jacks):

276187286_1_644x461_miksher-art-macromix-kiev.jpg.

There are more expensive devices too, but you might start with one of the $50-or-less ones and see how you like the concept before diving back into the deep end. FWIW, I love ART products - they're well made and sound great. I've used their mic and guitar preamps for years, and have had a few ART devices in my audio system too over the years.

Or what the heck do i need?!

Ok, i did it, i broke down and spent a lot more money than i wanted for an amp. The MC152.

It is not integrated and it has no preouts.

How can i take the outputs from my UD503 DAC to a subwoofer. I don't use my sub that much..usually leave it turned off as it is, but on occasion i just get a wild hair and want to go into beast mode.

I don't really want to spend more money on an expensive preamp, and want as little or NO processing at all (if possible) going to the mcintosh.

What do i do??

You can't beat the Parasound P5 for around $1K

George