IGNORED

Any cheap preamps that dont do any processing?

Or what the heck do i need?!

Ok, i did it, i broke down and spent a lot more money than i wanted for an amp. The MC152.

It is not integrated and it has no preouts.

How can i take the outputs from my UD503 DAC to a subwoofer. I don't use my sub that much..usually leave it turned off as it is, but on occasion i just get a wild hair and want to go into beast mode.

I don't really want to spend more money on an expensive preamp, and want as little or NO processing at all (if possible) going to the mcintosh.

What do i do??

What do i do??

What's your budget?

:D :D :D

Dedicated Line DSD/DXD | Audirvana+ | iFi iDSD Nano | SET Tube Amp | Totem Mites

Surround: VLC | M-Audio FastTrack Pro | Mac Opt | Panasonic SA-HE100 | Logitech Z623

DIY: SET Tube Amp | Low-Noise Linear Regulated Power Supply | USB, Power, Speaker Cables | Speaker Stands | Acoustic Panels

$0.00

Are you sure you're not going to end up spending $3,500? :P

Dedicated Line DSD/DXD | Audirvana+ | iFi iDSD Nano | SET Tube Amp | Totem Mites

Surround: VLC | M-Audio FastTrack Pro | Mac Opt | Panasonic SA-HE100 | Logitech Z623

DIY: SET Tube Amp | Low-Noise Linear Regulated Power Supply | USB, Power, Speaker Cables | Speaker Stands | Acoustic Panels

obviously i through out the budget.

Did you mean:

(a) I thought out the budget,

(b) I threw out the budget,

© I can throw up the budget,

(d) I'm through with budgets?

:P

yes

hehehehe :P

I've got that sucker, and for as little as it cost, it has been really satisfying. Just Works, and as far as I can tell does not screw up the sound at all.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Or what the heck do i need?!

Ok, i did it, i broke down and spent a lot more money than i wanted for an amp. The MC152.

It is not integrated and it has no preouts.

How can i take the outputs from my UD503 DAC to a subwoofer. I don't use my sub that much..usually leave it turned off as it is, but on occasion i just get a wild hair and want to go into beast mode.

I don't really want to spend more money on an expensive preamp, and want as little or NO processing at all (if possible) going to the mcintosh.

What do i do??

Run the balanced outputs of the DAC to the Macintosh and the DACs RCA outputs to the line-in of the sub.

Pareto Audio aka nuckleheadaudio

Run the balanced outputs of the DAC to the Macintosh and the DACs RCA outputs to the line-in of the sub.

Does the UD 503 allow use of both balanced and unbalanced simultaneously?

Why do you want a pre-amp if the UD 503 has the built-in volume control? It already has a pre-amp. That's the whole reason to get that rather than the less expensive 501 (at least for me). What am I missing?

Does the UD 503 allow use of both balanced and unbalanced simultaneously?

Why do you want a pre-amp if the UD 503 has the built-in volume control? It already has a pre-amp. That's the whole reason to get that rather than the less expensive 501 (at least for me). What am I missing?

i have to RTFM...if it will output both that is GREAT!!

Glad i read the entire thread before buying the switch...i almost pulled the trigger on the schiit...i am so impulsive.

I've got that sucker, and for as little as it cost, it has been really satisfying. Just Works, and as far as I can tell does not screw up the sound at all.

I have to disagree. I bought this thinking it would be an easy, transparent way for my wife to switch to CD playback in my computer system. She rejected it out of hand. Dry and compressed.

i have to RTFM...if it will output both that is GREAT!!

I'm waiting to pull the trigger on it (or the NT version) pending finding this out.

FWIW, the Peachtree sonaDAC does this. I might just get that instead. Fewer features has its own attraction.

I don't have the UD503 or NT503, but this scheme worked on my Auralic Vega and my Mytek Brooklyn. Take a look at the UD503 manual to validate.

I can't figure it out from the manual. The manual says it can be fixed out, fixed out +6dB, or variable out, for each of the two types of outputs. What worries me is the UD501 cannot output to both simultaneously (but it also only does fixed out, so it might not be relevant.)

I can't figure it out from the manual. The manual says it can be fixed out, fixed out +6dB, or variable out, for each of the two types of outputs. What worries me is the UD501 cannot output to both simultaneously (but it also only does fixed out, so it might not be relevant.)

i still haven't read the manual, but i can tell you that i already changed the output to variable out so the volume control will work...if you read the manual and cant clarify if it will output to both concurrently, then i am sure i won't be able to determine either, without actually trying....and i dont have any xlr cables to test it...hmmm...

bummer...i just read...

Sound will only be output

from the selected pair....

so back to the question...can i use y adapter or is that a "no-no"?

The Y adapter should work fine. But it limits you to unbalanced. NTTAWWT.

Another option is hook your sub up at speaker level, like Rel, B&W and Velodyne allow.

On page 21 of the NT503 manual is says: Output through both the RCA connectors and the XLR connectors at the same time is not possible.

So the same as the 501 and the UD503.