IGNORED

Just received my HD Plex 300W ATX LPS

I just received my HD Plex 300W ATX linear power supply after waiting for little over a month. The delay was caused by Larry wanting to test and ultimately replace the PCB and transformer which is supposedly more quiet. As I never owned the previous version I cannot say if there is a difference. This thing is heavy and looks like its built with a very high level of quality. Since my integrated amp is still out being repaired I cannot test to see if this sounds better than my previous linear power supply, the Keces. With the Keces I used its single 19V, 6A output to power both of my PCs (control and audio). I also used an Acopian 12V linear to power the mother board directly. I am hoping that by removing the need for the AC-DC smps converter in the PCs, I will get some improvement in the sound. At the very minimum I clean up my audio rack a bit by replacing two linear power supplies with just one.

When I get my integrated amp back, hopefully next week I will compare the sound using the HD Plex.

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

Sure, anything in particular you want to see or just the overall layout?

Also, I turned on the HD Plex last night and its absolutely dead quiet, no buzzing of any kind, even when I put my ear right up against the case. So far so good!

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

Same here, the newer updated one I received yesterday runs very smooth and quite (I'm around 180 to 200 Watts usage). Also I am able to turn the variable DC output down as low as 5V for powering the OS SSD.

(JRiver) Jetway barebones NUC (mod 3 sCLK-EX, Cybershaft OP 14)  (PH SR7) => mini pcie adapter to PCIe 1X => tXUSBexp PCIe card (mod sCLK-EX) (PH SR7) => (USPCB) Chord DAVE => Omega Super 8XRS/REL t5i  (All powered thru Topaz Isolation Transformer)

Same here, the newer updated one I received yesterday runs very smooth and quite (I'm around 180 to 200 Watts usage). Also I am able to turn the variable DC output down as low as 5V for powering the OS SSD.

Yeah I asked Larry to do the same thing for me but he said that it was too expensive of a mod so it looks like yours is the only unit with the capability to adjust down to 5V. Out of curiosity, do you need the variable output for the OS SSD because you are using the ATX input for another SSD? If not why not just use that instead?

Other components:

Yeah I asked Larry to do the same thing for me but he said that it was too expensive of a mod so it looks like yours is the only unit with the capability to adjust down to 5V. Out of curiosity, do you need the variable output for the OS SSD because you are using the ATX input for another SSD? If not why not just use that instead?

Actually, Larry messed up and sent me the wrong unit without any additional adjustments. I was going to be getting a unit where the 19V DC output was modified down to 5V output and the change to the variable output could be adjusted to 5V. But I didn't get the unit in a mix up and ran out of time to rectify on my way back to Costa Rica.

Luckily the unit I received (standard) did adjust down to 5V on the variable output. Just try it yourself. I need the normal 5V DC output for my PPA USB card, the variable 5V DC output for my OS SSD. I could have used another 5V output with 6amp output for driving my additional 3 5V HDD's, but it wasn't to be. So I used a 250W ATX board for those 3 HDD's to be powered with from the 19V DC output.

Why not use the standard ATX Sata output on the 300W unit? Because I'm using that for powering the 24 pin motherboard connection and don't want any feedback from the HDD's to pollute into the motherboard. I will test whether I can hear any difference between a clean feed and the 300W ATX feed once back in CR.

Here are my connections:

24pin ATX -> 24pin motherboard

19V DC -> 250W hifi ATX board -> (3) 5V 2.5" HDD's

12V DC -> CPU

5V DC variable -> OS SSD

5V DC -> PPA V3 USB card

(JRiver) Jetway barebones NUC (mod 3 sCLK-EX, Cybershaft OP 14)  (PH SR7) => mini pcie adapter to PCIe 1X => tXUSBexp PCIe card (mod sCLK-EX) (PH SR7) => (USPCB) Chord DAVE => Omega Super 8XRS/REL t5i  (All powered thru Topaz Isolation Transformer)

... on my way back to Costa Rica.

Why not use the standard ATX Sata output on the 300W unit? Because I'm using that for powering the 24 pin motherboard connection and don't want any feedback from the HDD's to pollute into the motherboard. I will test whether I can hear any difference between a clean feed and the 300W ATX feed once back in CR.

Here are my connections:

24pin ATX -> 24pin motherboard

19V DC -> 250W hifi ATX board -> (3) 5V 2.5" HDD's

12V DC -> CPU

5V DC variable -> OS SSD

5V DC -> PPA V3 USB card

First of all Costa Rica is a beautiful country! I went there with my daughters 2 years ago. We went to Monte Verde, Arenal, and Playa de Conchal. We will be coming back soon!

I will try out what you mentioned and see if I can get the variable voltage down to 5V.

As for your connection, in looking at the schematic Larry sent me, the all output voltages are on different rails anyway so I dont think you will sending noise back to the system from the SSD.

By the way, do you mind if I ask what think of the PPA v3 and Intona? I am thinking of getting the PPA v4 and the Intona industrial with LED mod to feed my Mutec 3+ usb converter/reclocker.

Other components:

I'll make a new thread with all observations, photos, testing soon. Intona galvanic isolation definitely helps a dirty streamer source USB. Question will be if it is needed if the streamer is clean, how clean?

That's a lot more heat dissipated in the voltage regulator.

Is the temperature of it's heatsink still acceptable with extended running under load at +5V ?

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

Luckily the unit I received (standard) did adjust down to 5V on the variable output. Just try it yourself.

You are right! I can adjust to 5V (and below). Strange because when I asked Larry for this feature he said he could not do it for me because of cost and complexity.

Is the temperature of it's heatsink still acceptable with extended running under load at +5V ?

This thing has some pretty beefy heatsinks on it. I just turned on the unit and have the adjustable output running at 5V. I will report back to let you know how hot it gets.

Other components:

The new units have the new PCB and can safely go down to 5V, Larry said.

But good point to consider. My unit runs very cool.

I am very much interested in the comparison as well. I am currently using two 100w hd-plex powering by control, audio, PPA USB, W4S RUR and a switch and it has been working well so far for me. While the control pc uses 250w hd-plex atx dc-dc, the audio is using 160w 12v Pico. Not sure if there is a difference between the hd-plex and pico atx. I might lean towards upgrading the Audio pc to a 300w hd-plex atx if there is a substantial improvement in SQ.

Btw, Larry's customer service has been just awesome, lightning fast reply and service.

That Gold Coast, Playa de Conchal and Tamarindo, area is beautiful. Had a seafood pizza there that was to die for!

Graduation 074.jpg

FYI - I have the PPA V3 and am using it with the new Light Harmonic Revive (battery powered USB regeneration and power delivery). Very impressed with the Revive. Less smearing and blending of individual sound sources plus transient response and decay seem to be improved. Taught and smooth, less sibilant.

First of all Costa Rica is a beautiful country! I went there with my daughters 2 years ago. We went to Monte Verde, Arenal, and Playa de Conchal. We will be coming back soon!

I will try out what you mentioned and see if I can get the variable voltage down to 5V.

As for your connection, in looking at the schematic Larry sent me, the all output voltages are on different rails anyway so I dont think you will sending noise back to the system from the SSD.

By the way, do you mind if I ask what think of the PPA v3 and Intona? I am thinking of getting the PPA v4 and the Intona industrial with LED mod to feed my Mutec 3+ usb converter/reclocker.

PC with PPA Studio V3 USB card > LH Labs LPS4 > Light Harmonic LightSpeed 10G Split > LH Labs Pulse X ∞ > DHC Complement 4 Ag > Fostex TH900

• 10 months later...

Totally agree with Dev, Larry's customer service is impeccable. I have had numerous requests with him and got feed back from him quickly.

I just received the HDplex 400w atx linear psu, I found the new main power transformer is dead quiet in comparison to the 300w psu. It provided deeper sound stage, better instruments separation, more micro details - I think the lower back ground noise has contributed greatly to the above mentioned improvements.