IGNORED

Should I convert my library back to Apple Lossless from AIFF

mwheelerk

Several years ago when considering purchase of a particular media server I mistakenly thought that it required the use of AIFF files and I transcoded my Apple Lossless (ALAC) library to AIFF. Since that time all of my CD rips (hundreds) have been done to AIFF.

Ive really not had any particular problems using AIFF. I've transferred my library twice since to new, larger HDD with all metadata, artwork etc intact.

Just now I came across something in JRemote Settings that may indicate in one setting lack of support for AIFF files (I'm posting a separate thread on this point). With Apple Lossless being an open Audio Codec now (an leaving out of the discussion acknowledged space savings and any discussion do differences/lack of differences in audio quality) are there reasons you feel this action would been beneficial or fruitless.

Your thoughts are appreciated.

"If you fly a flag of hate you are no kin to me"

Ry Cooder

Several years ago when considering purchase of a particular media server I mistakenly thought that it required the use of AIFF files and I transcoded my Apple Lossless (ALAC) library to AIFF. Since that time all of my CD rips (hundreds) have been done to AIFF.

Ive really not had any particular problems using AIFF. I've transferred my library twice since to new, larger HDD with all metadata, artwork etc intact.

Just now I came across something in JRemote Settings that may indicate in one setting lack of support for AIFF files (I'm posting a separate thread on this point). With Apple Lossless being an open Audio Codec now (an leaving out of the discussion acknowledged space savings and any discussion do differences/lack of differences in audio quality) are there reasons you feel this action would been beneficial or fruitless.

Your thoughts are appreciated.

Mmm-I send AIFF directly to JRemote without any issues, but I do not often stream hi-res that way.

Depending upon what you are looking for, not sure I would bother. You can either let JRMC convert to MP3 on the fly, or you should be able to tell JRMC to convert to ALAC on the fly and stream that. (Have not tried that, but it seems possible...)

Let us know what you find out though, I do not know all the intracies of what you are doing there. ;)

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

I use ALAC. However, if I were in your shoes, I would only convert to save space (eg: to put everything on an external SSD). If you do decide to do this, start a new hard drive and use XLD in batch mode to convert everything, and then take the AIFF drive off-site for a permanent backup in case your house gets taken out by a meteorite or ISIS attack.

Mmm-I send AIFF directly to JRemote without any issues, but I do not often stream hi-res that way.

Depending upon what you are looking for, not sure I would bother. You can either let JRMC convert to MP3 on the fly, or you should be able to tell JRMC to convert to ALAC on the fly and stream that. (Have not tried that, but it seems possible...)

Let us know what you find out though, I do not know all the intracies of what you are doing there. ;)

The whole thought started when I look at this screen in JRemote and didn't see AIFF listed. This might be a simple "much ado about nothing"

IMG_1282.PNG

Ry Cooder

The whole thought started when I look at this screen in JRemote and didn't see AIFF listed. This might be a simple "much ado about nothing"

[ATTACH=CONFIG]24916[/ATTACH]

Oh, JRemote automatically sets up transcoding with that switch. Turning it off tells JRemote to publish all the formats it can accept.

You can tell when playing what format JRemote is using by looking in the lower right hand corner of the display (in the "now playing" screen.

image.png This is playing from an ALAC file

image.png

This is playing from an AIFF file

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

Oh, JRemote automatically sets up transcoding with that switch. Turning it off tells JRemote to publish all the formats it can accept.

You can tell when playing what format JRemote is using by looking in the lower right hand corner of the display (in the "now playing" screen.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]24917[/ATTACH] This is playing from an ALAC file

[ATTACH=CONFIG]24918[/ATTACH]

This is playing from an AIFF file

I will take a look. I guess I didn't notice that before.

Ry Cooder