IGNORED

M-Audio BX5 D2

as a total newbie to computer audio(phile) I would like to have your opinion on M-Audio BX5 D2 studio monitors.

First question: are they OK as desktop speakers? I'm not a musician, so I would use them as "normal" speakers connected to via iMac via a FiioX3 2nd in DAC mode.

Second question: which is the best way to connect the Fiio to the speakers? the Fiio has a mini-jack line out, while the speakers have a XLR input and a TRS ("full" jack?)

here is a picture of the back of the speaker:

BX5-back.jpg

thank you!

I had the previous version of the BX5a. They were pretty good until I got the dreaded capacitor problem. First they hum, and it gets louder and louder until they quit altogether or you replace the power supply caps. A common problem with Maudio. Don't know if they have fixed this in the D2 version.

I replaced them with JBL LSR305 speakers:

http://www.amazon.com/JBL-Studio-Monitor-Interfaces-Laptops/dp/B00JFN3KLY/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1458868508&sr=8-2&keywords=lsr305

These not just better. Not just lots better. They are in a whole different league. They offer true high quality sound within their size limitations. They also get along much better than the Maudio if you don't have a subwoofer. And I say this as someone whose regular big system speakers are Soundlab electrostats.

As for connection of these or the Maudio, you can get adapters going from the Fiio mini jack to XLR connectors. The link above includes two speakers, plus the adapter cable you need for the Fiio plus other cables for conventional connection to a preamp or other audio interface. Normally these LSR305s are $130 a piece though sometimes you see sales for a few bucks less. So they are practically giving you the cable you need.

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

thank you very much esldude!

I checked the JBLs but here in Italy they cost a little more than in the US (approx. $300 vs $285 and w/o bundled cables...).

The BX5s cost approx. $240 and for the use I will do they are already over the money I want to invest!

I will keep looking for something around $150/$200 and with a small footprint: do you know Edifier, Presonus and Mackie?

I'm totally new at this kind of stuff so I don't even know the brands!

The three you ask about I have not heard. They have good reps, especially the Presonus.

Always easy to spend someone else's money. However, the LSR305's are a big, huge improvement over the Maudio. I hate to sound like a fanboy. They are really, really good if you could possibly swing it.

A friend, after hearing me talk about them, let me plonk them in front of his $12k speakers. He listened and was impressed. No they didn't match his big speakers. On the other hand 3 days later he ordered 3 of them for the front 3 channels in his video system. He has been very satisfied.

I don't know which Presonus you have in mind, the one I have in mind is the Eris. It gets good reviews, and if cheaper in your part of the world is worth looking at more closely.

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality.